October 09, 2023
2482 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Hyperborea?

More
23 Jan 2015 23:37 #195957 by blatz
Hyperborea? was created by blatz
Anyone still playing this one? Was thinking about picking it up because most of the early reviews seemed really positive. Is it still holding up after repeat play?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2015 23:44 #195958 by Stan Leer
Replied by Stan Leer on topic Re: Hyperborea?
I hope so.

I did just buy it on the strength of recommendations here. In transit as I type.

More
24 Jan 2015 11:30 #195981 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Re: Hyperborea?
I've only played it with two, which isn't optimal, but it was enough that we both wanted more. Very eager to try with 4.

More
24 Jan 2015 12:50 #195988 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: Hyperborea?
Outstanding game. If you like DoaM hybrids (Cyclades, Kemet, etc.) this will be a total victory.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest, blatz

More
24 Jan 2015 12:57 #195989 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: Hyperborea?
If you do the search, there was another thread about the game a month or two ago, some people had good comments.

More
24 Jan 2015 14:30 #195996 by MacDirk Diggler
Replied by MacDirk Diggler on topic Re: Hyperborea?
I have several plays of this under my belt with 3-5 players. I think 3-4 is the sweet spot . 5 is too slow and you get an asynchronous map.

Before you dive in though you should be cautioned that the game was FAQed over by the designers. You can read the ensuing shit storm that followed on TOS. Basically, some nerd figured out how to break the game by getting repeated bag resets on his turn or..... An endless turn. So they FAQed that instead of being able to leave cubes out on your board when you reset, you must clear all cubes and drop them in bag. That ruling really makes a significant difference in where you assign your cubes and how you are going to efficiently cycle through the bag.

I don't follow the FAQ. I think it lessens the game. I have simply house ruled that you can only reset once on your turn.

It is a great game though, when I brought it up to Nocal to play with my old gaming buddies it was 3 turns in they were fighting over who would buy a copy of it to play when I left town.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
24 Jan 2015 15:24 #195999 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: Hyperborea?
Wow, didn't know that, thanks for that info...

More
24 Jan 2015 15:36 #196000 by MacDirk Diggler
Replied by MacDirk Diggler on topic Re: Hyperborea?
I never bothered to read how it is, exactly, that you can get an endless turn. I suspect it is through use of Diplomats technology (that allows you to pull 3 cubes mid turn) combo-ed with something else. All in all, a fairly rare game state, one would imagine.

Seems like people are pissed they didn't catch it in play testing before it was released. Strike one. Then they ripped a significant chunk of meat out of the game in an over-reaction to fix it. Strike two.

If you clear all cubes on reset it likely slows the game down. Makes resets less frequent, makes you use all the cubes without being able to focus on a direction. My fix of one reset per turn really works well and doesn't mess with the original intent as much as their correction does.

Don't let this be a deal breaker for you unless you are super-anal about your rules!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, blatz

More
24 Jan 2015 20:14 #196013 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Re: Hyperborea?
It's pretty simple and it totally breaks the game. You just place undesirable cubes out and partially complete actions you don't want. It lets you thin your bag. Everytime your bag resets you can go back into Ruins/Cities. Imagine resetting every single turn (even if just once) and you can basically do 1 solid action and hoard tons of stuff from Cities/Ruins.

It's better with the FAQ, which is a pretty simple change IMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
31 Mar 2015 14:54 #200174 by magicbus1966
Replied by magicbus1966 on topic Hyperborea?
Great game! We've found that more than 4 players causes excessive downtime. At heart this is a deckbuilder with loads of cool features tacked on.

Re the game breaking feature - I had always assumed that skipping so many turns due to resetting would create a bigger lead for you opponents. Apparently the cities are even more powerful than I thought!

More
31 Mar 2015 15:08 #200175 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Hyperborea?
When you reset you don't skip a turn. So you can basically get your bag to just the cubes needed to do one Move/Attack action and reset on the same turn. So every turn you can move and attack and then benefit from all the cities.

Thanks for reminding me I need to get this back to the table in the near future.

More
22 Aug 2015 21:17 #209054 by King Grunt
Replied by King Grunt on topic Hyperborea?
I was on the fence about purchasing this game last month. I love 4x / dudes-on-a-map types games but my primary game group is more of a Euro crowd (i..e less conflict/negotiation heavy games) so this seemed like a good fit. I'm glad I waited, because Scythe (by Stonemaier games) is the game I've decided that I'm going to get to fill this void. Kickstarter starts in October.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds