October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Knizia's Hobbit v LotR (the kids game)

More
13 Jul 2015 11:17 #206163 by Mr. White
Amazon had The Hobbit on sale for like $11 so I finally went ahead and picked up a copy. Playing this type of game with the family I anticipate The Hobbit getting more plays than Beowulf at this time.

I like the continued use of images such as a fox for cunning and such as they give the game a sort of children's fairytale vibe. I'm down. I'm not sure the final space should be called '_Kill_ Smaug the Dragon' as that isn't what Bilbo set out to do, but oh well. It seems to be the only misstep in the game.

Anyway, I did get this game to mainly play with the wife and kids (5 & 8). Anyone know how it compares with Kinizia's Lord of the Rings kids game?
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6352/lord-rings

The above title has a Rankin-Bass vibe to it, so the trifecta of Kiniza/kids/Rankin-Bass is a jackpot right now. However, again, I just bought The Hobbit and don't need games covering the same space. I know they're different, but different enough that it's worth owning both?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2015 11:39 #206165 by The*Mad*Gamer
Just played the Hobbit in our Kniziathon. The game ended when Smaug flew into Laketown. I had a grand total of 1 gem.
Good light game. Enjoyed it.

More
13 Jul 2015 14:21 - 13 Jul 2015 14:36 #206173 by Michael Barnes
To further complicate matters, there are TWO more Hobbit games that he did for the movies- apparently the third one never made it out, I guess.

I just got the first one over the weekend, and as long as you can stomach seeing photographs from the movie it's a great little dice game...unfortunately packed in a giant box. It definitely has traces of LotR in it (especially the concept of these one-shot resources keyed to specific items, characters, story beats and so forth) and it also has some elements of the 2010 Hobbit game. There are two boards in the first game, each has two rows of quests. The top are "running" quests that have to be completed in order, the bottom can be done in any order. You roll four dice, lock whatever ones you want to match symbols and complete one or more quests, then reroll. If you match one completely, you put a quill marker on it and if the board's quests are filled, you move to the next board. If you can't place a quill marker on your turn (i.e. complete a quest) a resource card gets burned. Lose them all, and The Lord of the Rings never happens.

The tricky parts are that there are cards for each of the company, and each has a special dice game-ish power. When you use one, they go back to the pool and you have to get them back through card rewards. There are also those resources, that give you symbols to complete quests or do other similar functions, but using them incurs a points penalty. There is also an event drawn each turn that may add quests to the board or make the ones there harder. Or they can lock up dice, cause you to have to give a specific result up first, and so forth.

It's even easier The Hobbit '10 in terms of rules...but it has those really intense decision points. Use a resource, risk the re-roll, or let it slide? Very fun game, the solo play is really good and I think it'd be great with a smaller group. I'll probably get the other one if I can find it as cheap as I did this one ($15 with free shipping). I'm going to put it in the same box with The Hobbit '10 and ditch the big square box.

I never played the LOTR kid's game.
Last edit: 13 Jul 2015 14:36 by Michael Barnes.

More
13 Jul 2015 14:28 #206174 by Mr. White
I don't know anything about The Hobbit '08 game. The one I ordered from amazon was this one that came out in 2010.

What is this '08 game?

I'm wondering if that LotR title is too young for my kids at this point. Also, I'm not sure I need: The Hobbit, LotR (co-op), LotR: Confrontation _and_ LotR the kids game.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds