October 09, 2023
2220 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2440 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Clash of Cultures- GROSS OUT

More
13 Nov 2015 18:44 #215010 by Michael Barnes
So I'm trying to buy one of Zev's copies of the CoC expansion (Zev? Come in Zev?) so I thought I'd break it out since I haven't opened the box in like a year. I decided to go on and set up a solo two player game to get back into the flow of it, and when I pulled out the baggie with the yellow pieces in it I noticed that there was some wetness in it. Not only that, but there was a moisture stain on the box insert- DESPITE sitting right next to the silica gel package. I took the pieces out and and they were covered in this NASTY, slick, foul-smelling substance. That "made in China" bouquet, if you will. I think maybe it might be oils from the plastic that have leached out or something in the pigment condensating. I dunno. At any rate, I immediately thought "great, here's an incredibly toxic substance in my game, all over my hands now" so I washed them for like 20 minutes in the hot & soapy. They seem OK now, but I've never seen anything like it before. Anybody seen this happen? Pete, this seems like the kind of thing you would know about.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2015 18:59 #215011 by Da Bid Dabid
This is a somewhat common problem with the yellow pieces in CoC. There was quite a hullabaloo over on the OTS.... I think for a time you could get replacements, maybe still can.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Nov 2015 19:04 #215012 by san il defanso
Yeah, this was well-documented on BGG. The best move is to contact Z-Man, that's where I got my replacements. I was able to get them well after i thought they'd be available, so it's worth checking with them.

More
More
13 Nov 2015 19:35 - 13 Nov 2015 20:04 #215018 by OldHippy
Yes, I have heard about this. China has been planning a large scale revenge on the evil North American consumer for some time now, they want to start with the most high profile cases to gain exposure to their cause so naturally boardgamers are going to be the first to go.

Over in China, in one of those slave wage factories, there is a giant map of the world up on the wall and they just pushed all their yellow pieces onto North America.

Edit: that was unintentional racism, those pieces happen to be yellow and they happen to be made in China. I just wanted to get that in there before Loter shows up and kills me.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2015 20:04 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
13 Nov 2015 20:47 #215019 by Not Sure
Yeah, I replaced my yellow pieces a while ago. It was a print problem in the first printing. They weren't cured properly or something.

More
13 Nov 2015 21:05 - 14 Nov 2015 21:47 #215020 by Frohike
I just soaked mine in rubbing alcohol. Done.

But yeah, gross.

Edit: checked them today, around 2 years after my gross-out, and they're fine, so the ooze isn't indefinite.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2015 21:47 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
13 Nov 2015 21:40 #215022 by SuperflyPete
Thats really weird. Never seen anything like that. I know that I got Blood Feud in New York and never got to play it because the chemical smell gave me an insta-headache. Kept the dice and trashed the rest.

They should ban PCB11 and go back to Cd. ;)

More
25 Mar 2016 01:53 - 25 Mar 2016 01:57 #224843 by MacDirk Diggler
This thread wasn't started to discuss the game, but rather condition issues... But what the hell. The title has CoC in it and has the Barnes cachet at its incept.

Question for experienced CoC players.

How necessary is the sold out, impossible to get at less than 3x initial price, expansion?

I got CoC in last F:AT trade, but have backlog of good games to play and deluxe Mare Nostrum Kickstarter on the way. I am wondering if it's worth digging into CoC without the expansion or flip it and move on.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2016 01:57 by MacDirk Diggler.

More
25 Mar 2016 07:57 #224845 by Gary Sax
I think it is a great expansion. But it is not *necessary* (given the price) unless your favorite mechanic is variable player civs. Some people think that mechanic is essential to civ. I can take or leave the new types of units, I quite like the addition of pirates and the new city pieces... but ultimately the value in the box it is down to how important unique civs are. They are quite well implemented in this expansion and there are a ton of them, but if it doesn't matter that much to you then there is no reason to buy it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, MacDirk Diggler

More
26 Mar 2016 08:08 #224890 by repoman
I second what Gary said. The base game is totally complete in our itself. The expansion, like the War of the Ring expansion, has some cool things but it's in no way needed. Of course, it was The Fort that got elephants included and so a copy of the expansion is in The Fortress museum right next to the "Peanut Butter Drawers" display.

More
26 Mar 2016 10:18 #224891 by Legomancer
We played the other night and other than the custom civs and the leaders, not much of the expansion was even used. I think I was the only player who bought a cavalry unit, strictly for an objective (which I failed). The expansion didn't seem terribly essential.

More
26 Mar 2016 11:25 #224893 by Gary Sax
When it was originally released, it was pretty cheap, so being mainly the unique civs and leaders with a few other assorted things was decent value. It becomes harder to recommend when it is selling for what it is.

More
27 Mar 2016 23:18 #224936 by san il defanso
I hesitate to say "essential," since that implies the base game on its own isn't a full, complete, and excellent game. But after two games with Civilizations, I don't ever want to go back. The unique civs really do a lot of differentiate between the players, to make sure that everyone is going in a different direction. In my last game I played as the Celts, and it allowed me to basically run my whole economy with barbarians, which was really cool. It helps that the civ advances are automatically researched when you research specific advances, you don't need to push for those civ advances separately.

The rest of it is mostly very good. I like the new units a lot, but they won't show up in every game. In fact, the expansion guarantees that each session will feel a lot more varied. There will be a lot of elements that won't come into play. I think it's actually made it more feasible to not be as bellicose as the game was before, just because not everyone will have the inclination to go in that direction. But the elephants and cavalry units are definitely NOT why people should play the expansion. The pirates are a lot of fun and help to temper some of the cheap Navigation-based wins that the original game saw.

So yeah, I don't plan to ever play without it again. But that said, it's not worth $100+, because the original game is still really good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
28 Mar 2016 11:02 #224949 by SuperflyPete
I'm just tired of being broke and missing out on these games when they come out, because there's such a crazy uptick in after market pricing on things that it prices me out of it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds