October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Power Grid question

More
30 Nov 2015 08:04 #216139 by Jackwraith
Xmas shopping for the girlfriend today. She's a huge Power Grid fan and used to own a copy, but it was lost to her ex in the divorce, so I figured I'd replace it for her, but I discovered that there's now a "Power Grid Deluxe" available for a higher price point because it has upgraded components (and now apparently uses Natural Gas instead of Garbage; modernization!) The reviews on BGG are the typical useless drooling over the majesty of the game, which I really don't give a shit about. I'd just like to know if it's worth it to pick up Deluxe instead of the old game, especially since it seems that the old expansions don't work with the new edition and you can get the old game plus an expansion for the price of the new one. That's a not a huge concern, since she just likes the base game and isn't a completionist like I am (thankfully...) and I did parse some apparent confusion about whether the two systems are actually incompatible or whether it's just typical BGG stuffiness about the whole experience being ruined because you have to remember that Garbage now means Gas or whatever.

Any feedback appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2015 09:20 #216142 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Power Grid question
This sounds like it's in the "don't fix what isn't broken" category to me. If she really likes the original I'd get the original at the lower price and buy another map or another gift with the extra money.

My wife would find something in the new version she liked less than the original and dwell on it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Frohike

More
30 Nov 2015 09:52 #216147 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Power Grid question
i think buying the new one could be fun, but I'm not sure all the expansions and maps will work with the new one's components
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
30 Nov 2015 10:08 - 30 Nov 2015 14:30 #216149 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Power Grid question
I ain't no expert, but I was in the market to buy the game a few months ago so I did some research.

The main differences are the components, artwork, a few minor rules tweaks and a playable 2P variant out of the box. The game is called Deluxe Edition, but most didn't find the components to be anything over the top. They replaced the paper money with little plastic coins that are in other Friedmann Friese games (like Land Lord). These are fine, but the BGG crowd hated them. The artwork is slightly less stuffy than the original game. It's neither better or worse and more of a personal preference. The board is bigger than in the original. The Deluxe version is not compatible with any of the previous maps/expansions. However, moving forward new expansions will be compatible for both versions (such as the recently released Stocks expansion). The price of the game is usually $10-$20 more than the original edition (depending on the sale). If you were to stick a gun to my head and choose one...I'd probably just go with the new version. I like the upgraded components, bigger map, 2P variant, etc...

So that is all I can remember off the top of my head. After doing all the research I never pulled the trigger on a copy. I probably bought something with a Space Marine or a Dragon on the cover instead. Or maybe it was a Space Marine riding a Dragon....
Last edit: 30 Nov 2015 14:30 by Egg Shen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Frohike

More
30 Nov 2015 11:09 #216152 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Power Grid question
I have no experience with the Deluxe Edition, but I'd go with the original just for the option to expand. If you really wanted deluxe components, you could splurge for Sonemeier's Energy Box .

More
30 Nov 2015 11:19 #216153 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Power Grid question
gah! I lost my post :(

Here's the thing, and this is coming from a previous Power Grid fan who also lost 90-95% of his board games in his divorce...

When you play on the old Power Grid board and the old components, I'd probably be reminded of the dozens of games I played with my ex-wife and family. So why not create new memories with the brand new deluxe edition? A Power Grid fan would love that (I know I would have back in the day), a new fresh start with the same fun gameplay.

Unless it costs something stupid like an extra 50$ over the regular version, I think it's worth it.

Who gives a flying leap what the BGG crowd thinks anyway
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
30 Nov 2015 13:02 #216171 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Power Grid question

Black Barney wrote: gah! I lost my post :(

Now I will be wondering all day what it might have said
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
30 Nov 2015 13:15 #216173 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Power Grid question

Black Barney wrote: Who gives a flying leap what the BGG crowd thinks anyway

I don't, which is why I asked you guys. ;)

The deluxe is only like $15 more so, despite Sag's reasonable take, I went with the Deluxe, especially because it has a two-player option. Thanks, ev'rybody! /DrNick.

More
30 Nov 2015 13:56 #216178 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Power Grid question

Jackwraith wrote:

Black Barney wrote: Who gives a flying leap what the BGG crowd thinks anyway

I don't, which is why I asked you guys. ;)

The deluxe is only like $15 more so, despite Sag's reasonable take, I went with the Deluxe, especially because it has a two-player option. Thanks, ev'rybody! /DrNick.

A mistake no married man makes.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds