October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Pandemic Editions

More
27 Jan 2016 16:56 #220934 by Mr. White
Pandemic Editions was created by Mr. White
Not interested in Legacy or comments on how the game is lame or boring. I wanna hear from folks that can give some constructive feedback on the different editions. Which is the best setup? Base game only.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2016 20:46 #220944 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Pandemic Editions
What do you mean by "what is the best setup with base game" only?

The base game can only be played in one configuration, and with the exception of appearance component, they're identical. Are you talking about roles that work well together?

More
28 Jan 2016 08:27 #220958 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Pandemic Editions
Let's hear opinions on the components then.

More
28 Jan 2016 09:05 #220960 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Pandemic Editions
I used to have the French edition, which was identical to the English one except that they replaced Toronto with Montreal, while still keeping Toronto's location on the map. I got rid of it after a little while for a few reasons:
1- The game is way too easy for 2.
2- It plays out very similarly from game to game, so that I got a bit bored with it compared to other coop games. Expansions might have helped, but see 3 below.
3- The French expansion from Filosofia was the same price as the base game. They've received a lot of flak from hard-core consumers in Quebec over their price gouging for different games. Over in Europe they don't seem to care as much, maybe they're used to paying higher prices for their games over there. But over here, when a shop holds the same game in French and in English, and the Fr version is twice the price as the En one, it's more noticeable.

More
28 Jan 2016 09:22 #220962 by Mr. White
I don't think I'll ever dive into the expansions, but are any of them worth it?

More
28 Jan 2016 11:24 #220979 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic Pandemic Editions
"Worth it" is hard to gauge. If Pandemic is one of your favorite all-time games (the case for me), then of course you'll just get everything, anyway. But here are some quick thoughts...

The base game is still great as it is. I play that a lot with the app on my phone, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Though at this point I more often play to try to achieve things, like complete eradication.

On the Brink - The Mutation variant is probably my favorite of all, probably because it doesn't change much (just adding a 5th disease), but does make things more challenging and pretty interesting. I don't care too much for the Virulent Strain or Bioterrorist (and I even had some influence in that, apparently).

In the Lab - The lab challenge is pretty cool and different, but after a while I didn't really care to play it anymore. Not a whole lot else here, so probably the least necessary expansion of them all, though having some new roles and events is always good. Many fans do consider the Lab thing to be great and essential. I like it a lot, but I still think of it as a side curiosity and prefer the original game structure.

State of Emergency - I really like the Hinterlands thing. And the other stuff, not so much.

So in conclusion, Mutation, Lab and Hinterlands are all very fun ways to mix things up, and the other stuff is okay, but kind of meh. And all are unnecessary because the base game still has a lot of life in it. Well, at the very least, adding more roles/events to the base game is probably a must.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
28 Jan 2016 18:09 #221013 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Pandemic Editions
We have the 1st Edition Z-Man Pandemic and the On The Brink expansion. If you're going to get into Pandemic I recommend it.

The newer edition looks a lot more flashy and high-tech. It still looks good, but I think the darker hues of the first edition have more style and fit the theme better. I always thought first edition Pandemic was a really great balance of good looking and highly functional. I also have a hard time reading the city names on the new edition's board at a glance, and I'm not a person who typically has an issue seeing text or details. Geographically I know where the locations are, but the city icons get lost in the board more in the new edition and I swear that font is out to get me.

File Attachment:
File Attachment:

(click for bigger)

On The Brink adds some nice options, especially if you start thinking the base game plays out to similarly or gets too easy after a while. It also has a 1 vs All mode that I dig quite a bit, but I'm apparently the outlier on that one.

I can tend to be a bit of a completionist, so I'm satisfied that my first edition is basically a dead game. That said I haven't actually played any of the new expansions since On The Brink, so maybe I'm ignorant and completely missing out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
28 Jan 2016 20:27 #221023 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Pandemic Editions
I think On the Brink is indispensable if you like the base game. I had the first edition (the scratchy first printing actually!), and hadn't tried the other new ed expansions.

I don't have anything to say about the component comparison. Either is ok for me.

More
29 Jan 2016 09:46 #221049 by Mr. White
What about that dice game...The Cure? Doesn't really seem to be much cheaper nor play that much quicker.

Just another cash grab?

Is there a card game also?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds