Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Talk about Eurogames here.

TOPIC: The Scepter of Zavandor

The Scepter of Zavandor 10 Nov 2017 11:28 #257400

When I first started playing board games Scepter of Zavandor was one of the games that fascinated me the most. I never ended up playing it or Outpost (its predecessor I hear?), I haven't heard of it in years but today remembered it for no reason and was wandering if it's worth tracking down. Is it? Die Macher and Wallenstein are two of my favorite games, is it anything like those? Have it and is willing to ship to Brazil? PM me.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The Scepter of Zavandor 10 Nov 2017 11:45 #257403

OH LORD I thought I'd never hear about this game again...it was released during a period of PEAK EURO, and I recall getting locked down in a FOUR HOUR game of it at a convention. I was about two hours into it and I looked over at the table Robert Martin was at, they were playing Fury of Dracula and having a grand old time, laughing and cutting up. My table was DEAD SILENT with people shuffling pieces around.

I would say that it is not like Wallenstein or Die Macher at all. It is a heavy, fairly abstract economic game. I don't know if it is really worth tracking down these days...but give it a shot, you might dig it!
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 6049
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rafael Silva

The Scepter of Zavandor 10 Nov 2017 15:35 #257445

I kind of agree with Barnes there. I played it a few times, and it's a fairly long engine builder sort of game. Turn A to B, B to C, C to points. I'd play it again if I was bored, for old times' sake, but I wouldn't play it every week or anything.

Die Macher is a good bit different, although also long. Zavandor has very little player interaction, where Die Macher is better about having a little bit of screwage, especially if you get an opinion poll (?) card. Zavandor is about, "Don't screw up your engine, or you'll lose by two points." Die Macher is more about what election you want to fight for, and what election you want to skip.

Wallenstein I only played once, so don't have a lot to say about it. The most vivid memory of it was that it was two hours of everyone yelling "DON'T TOUCH THE TABLE!", because if the tower got nudged cubes would fall out, and their owners would get pissed.
  • RobertB
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 402

The Scepter of Zavandor 10 Nov 2017 16:58 #257452

I like it, but I think I like OutPost a but more, even with it's flaws. It's a spreadsheet game, flat out. It's pretty dry, but if that's your thing, I'm sure you can find it pretty cheap.
  • Chapel
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 430

The Scepter of Zavandor 10 Nov 2017 18:03 #257460

I still say Power $truggle is the most interesting and fun spreadsheet game. Or, at least, that I’ve ever played.
  • SuperflyTNT
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3355
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHxIlNZTk4

The Scepter of Zavandor 13 Nov 2017 05:23 #257520

There is a guy near me with a copy of Phoenicia, have anyone played it? It seems similar, and quicker.

The Scepter of Zavandor 13 Nov 2017 21:53 #257605

Rafael Silva wrote:
There is a guy near me with a copy of Phoenicia, have anyone played it? It seems similar, and quicker.

Out of the three, Phoenicia is the lightest. I liked Outpost and Sceptor, but I wasn't a fan of Phoenicia. It felt like it was far to distilled.
  • Chapel
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 430
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds