October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Which Light Euros are Acceptable?

More
29 Nov 2010 15:06 #80673 by Ancient_of_MuMu
ubarose wrote:

I think you probably also need to narrow down what your wife likes a bit more than this.

I wish I could but I can't, but the real key is complexity of rules and complexity of tactics. Themes and mechanics are irrelevant for her.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2010 15:08 #80674 by Mr MOTO
superflytnt wrote:

Zooloretto is probably one of the best for this vein

Supafly,

I know you like to be able to kill things in the games you play. Can you hunt other animals in Zooloretto? Seems kinda mean, with them being caged and all.

More
29 Nov 2010 15:46 #80677 by sisteray
Mr MOTO wrote:

superflytnt wrote:

Zooloretto is probably one of the best for this vein

Supafly,

I know you like to be able to kill things in the games you play. Can you hunt other animals in Zooloretto? Seems kinda mean, with them being caged and all.

You secret them into your barn and then turn them into sausage. You lose points at the end of the game if you get caught with any evidence in the sausage house. Is that good enough for you? Yum, panda sausage.

Euros that I'd recommend to you (then see if you think she'd dig any of these):
Peloponnes
Tonga Bonga
Pfusch
Primordial Soup
Billabong
Niagara
Emerald
Al la Carte
Flußpiraten
Garden Competition
Money
Bombay
In Teufels Küche
Lifeboats
Station Master
Tante Tarantel
Intrigue
La Citta
Extrablatt
Evo
Trias
Diamant
The Downfall of Pompeii
Dragonland
An den Ufern des Nils
Atlantic Star
Atlas & Zeus
Basket Boss
Sea Sim
Big City
Street Soccer

More
29 Nov 2010 17:10 #80684 by dan daly
Oh yeah, I think it blurs the line between Euro and Ameritrash but Age of Empires III is a really fun game whatever you call it. Plays well with 2 players.

More
29 Nov 2010 17:58 #80691 by OldHippy
I no longer ask my wife to play games with me, if she requests, fine, but I never ask. I went through a phase were I tried to get her to game and then realized it was futile. If she doesn't want to then I don't either. You have to both be into it. Otherwise it's like rape. When she does ask to play she would request;

Anything form the GIPF series (but 2 player only)
Ticket to Ride (Europe and Switzerland)
Ca$h and Gun$ if couples are over, she LOVES that one.
Clue if there's a crowd
Mr. Jack (my fav of the wifey games but a little to brainy for her)
Stone Age (I saw you were thinking about this one and I have to say it's a great fit)
Carcassonne didn't work for us but she did like the Hunters and Gatherers version.
And most dex games, like;
Pitchcar
Crokinole
Carrom
Sac Noir
Villa Palleti (sp?)

But you know what, once a party gamer always a party gamer normally my wife would request Screw Your Neighbour, Catch Phrase, Scrabble, Twister or some party game.

More
29 Nov 2010 18:07 #80693 by Gary Sax
Boardgame evangelism and date rape are actually very apt comparisons. Don't do it to people. They may not say no, but they dont want it. My time on earth has taught me that unless they ask you no one gives a fuck about your nerd shit.

More
29 Nov 2010 18:44 #80697 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Gary Sax wrote:

Boardgame evangelism and date rape are actually very apt comparisons. Don't do it to people. They may not say no, but they dont want it. My time on earth has taught me that unless they ask you no one gives a fuck about your nerd shit.

This is something I know (and have stopped buying board games as gifts), and weirdly my wife really likes the concept of playing board games, but not that much in practice as she hates screwage so much. I normally wouldn't buy a board game for her, but she has requested that I do in the next few months, and I get where she is coming from as we mostly play only two genres of game (low-interaction complex ameritrash and low-interaction slightly themed card games (Dominion, San Juan)) and she wants something different (as she feels she needs my help with rules and admin for the former and often gets tactically outplayed on the latter).

More
29 Nov 2010 18:53 - 29 Nov 2010 18:55 #80699 by moss_icon
there is no such thing as a heavy euro. just boring euros, and fun euros. none of them are complicated.

the two most fun euros i have played are Lost Valley and Thebes. Lost Valley is a seriously overlooked game, about being a gold prospector. check that shit out. its a few years old now, and it shows, because its fun, and fun euros don't really exist any more.

Evo is also a lot of fun. i always forget that one. great to play a euro where you can flat out aggressive and nasty.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2010 18:55 by moss_icon.

More
30 Nov 2010 00:26 #80723 by ubarose
I agree with Frank that you should check out Around the World in 80 Days.

Liebe & Intrige is another one I like, but you might not. It's not real popular with the guys.

More
30 Nov 2010 00:31 #80725 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Weirdly I think my wife might be more offput by the theme in Liebe & Intrige than me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.594 seconds