October 09, 2023
2495 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Primordial Soup?

More
15 Jun 2011 17:38 #98004 by Dair
Primordial Soup? was created by Dair
I noticed this game was on Tanga while I was poking around today. I have a friend that loves this game, but I haven't tried it. He likes AT, but also enjoys Euros more than I do. I don't mind a Euro, depending on the game, and this one seems to have some interaction.

Anyone played this? What do you think? I absolutely don't need it, but if it is good, I wouldn't mind picking it up at a good price.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2011 17:41 #98006 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Re: Primordial Soup?
It's goofy, a bit chaotic, and waaaaay too long for what it is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dair

More
15 Jun 2011 17:42 #98008 by Bulwyf
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re: Primordial Soup?
Aww man this is one of the first euros I played way back in the day. I remember the art and premise of the game being totally awesome. However I remember the actual gameplay being slow, overly procedural and waaaay too long. I know it has its fans but I sold mine off as soon as I could and never looked back. My advice? Try before you buy.

-Will

More
15 Jun 2011 18:53 #98020 by Dair
Replied by Dair on topic Re: Primordial Soup?
Thanks for the tips. If it is too long, it won't find much time on my table. I'll definitely try this first.

More
15 Jun 2011 20:50 #98027 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re: Primordial Soup?
No. It's a nasty combination of tedious analytics and bad chaos neither of which are terribly fun on their own, and together it's downright atrocious. It has way too much bookeeping, and there are "broken" strategies that, with a bit of luck, can win you the game if you pursue them. It does have a fun theme, and it is well implemented, but the gameplay drags it down.

There's a freeware PC version with an AI around somewhere if you do want to try before you die.

More
15 Jun 2011 20:56 #98028 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: Primordial Soup?
I think it's great!

More
15 Jun 2011 21:35 #98032 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re: Primordial Soup?
I have to agree with Simon. (*)

Don't analyse it to death, play fast, and it's fun.

(*) Unless he's trolling of course.

More
15 Jun 2011 22:38 #98035 by dave
Replied by dave on topic Re: Primordial Soup?
Ursuppe is a top ten game for me. As for the criticisms here:

Heavy on procedure: For me, if I like a game, that's never a problem (see Through the Ages), and, if I don't, it bugs the shit out of me. So from me, that as a complaint by itself would be silly. But I won't (necessarily) project that to others.

Game length: It's a 90-120m game if played moderately briskly, but, being heavy on procedure, those "little infinities" can add up. The choices aren't really that hard, so you just need a taskmaster keeping the pace moving during the game. If that's not your style of gaming, then prepare for a long game.

Chaos: In what sense? The primary random element are the environment cards, which get easier to predict as the game enfolds. You only have to manage risks in four different directions of drift. The bigger issue is when the BP limit drastically drops, but that's just one small item of risk to add in. Otherwise, it's fairly deterministic. I haven't found the movements/escape die rolls to be "chaotic"; it just makes certain opponents less predictable.

My main criticism with Ursuppe is that there's a strong strategic element, especially around the Struggle for Survival gene. Players need to know how to play it "right". The game isn't going to work great unless you play it a bunch. In it's day, that wasn't a problem. Today, with a wide repertoire of games to play, many groups won't make that kind of investment for a long game. In this sense, its real competition is more A/T-ish multiplayer conquest games, which I suspect most on this site would prefer. German games with major conflict is probably my favorite type of game, so I eat this shit up... but I don't have such a group these days, so it doesn't get played, and so I have it on the trade pile.

More
15 Jun 2011 23:51 #98042 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: Primordial Soup?

Notahandle wrote: I have to agree with Simon. (*)

Don't analyse it to death, play fast, and it's fun.

(*) Unless he's trolling of course.

I'm not trolling! (Although I've just been suspended from BGG again.)

I really like this game. It's fun. Ursuppe is war!

I've only played it once though.

More
16 Jun 2011 02:25 #98049 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: Primordial Soup?
I really like it, but I seem to be in the minority. It's one of those games that I drag around with me all the time and try to get people to play, but this one guy is always talking trash about it, so I could never get anyone to play. So about a month ago I finally get a couple of people to play it with me, and I ask the guy who is always talking trash about it if he wants to teach it or if he wants me to, and he tells me he has never played it. Go figure.

More
16 Jun 2011 02:37 #98050 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic Re: Primordial Soup?

I'm not trolling! (Although I've just been suspended from BGG again.)

Oh do tell...

More
16 Jun 2011 02:48 #98051 by Stormcow
Replied by Stormcow on topic Re: Primordial Soup?
Can anyone compare Primordial Soup with Reef Encounter? They seem to be the same kind of game, just from looking at reviews.

More
16 Jun 2011 08:56 #98055 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re: Primordial Soup?

dave wrote: Chaos: In what sense? The primary random element are the environment cards, which get easier to predict as the game enfolds. You only have to manage risks in four different directions of drift. The bigger issue is when the BP limit drastically drops, but that's just one small item of risk to add in.

It's the drift aspect that I found annoying. It's not controllable or predictable in any way (which is why I say it's bad chaos) and it can play a big part in the game. You can of course buy genes that allow you to move against the drift but then you're playing into the hands of other people who are up on the strategic flaw you mention - you buy movement genes, they start to collect the genes required for the ultimate strategy.

Again I suggest the OP downloads the windows version of the game and tries it for himself. Look, I even dug out a link:

doris-frank.de/UrsuppeWin.html

And having looked up the game I also came across my comment:

"Strangely uninvolving. Feels like there's little control (even though there is) and the game seems to descend into a race for the best gene combinations. Plus all those little food cubes to sort each round are too damn fiddly."

And I rated it a six. So perhaps I liked it more than I'm remembering, but I still wouldn't buy it.

More
16 Jun 2011 12:29 #98056 by Dair
Replied by Dair on topic Re: Primordial Soup?
Great comments all. Thank you very much. I don't know how much play this would get at my house, so I am going to wait. I will try to get a game with my buddies copy to see for myself.

I may also try the windows version of the game. Thanks for finding the link Matt.

More
16 Jun 2011 18:50 - 16 Jun 2011 18:51 #98067 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re: Primordial Soup?
Schweig! wrote:
" (Although I've just been suspended from BGG again.)"
Heh, what did you do this time?
" I've only played it once though."
For shame!

ubarose wrote:
" this one guy is always talking trash about it, so I could never get anyone to play. So about a month ago I finally get a couple of people to play it with me, and I ask the guy who is always talking trash about it if he wants to teach it or if he wants me to, and he tells me he has never played it. Go figure."
I figure he's a moron. Wait, even worse: a fun murderer! Kill 'im!
Last edit: 16 Jun 2011 18:51 by Notahandle.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds