October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Primordial Soup?

More
16 Jun 2011 02:37 #98050 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic Re: Primordial Soup?

I'm not trolling! (Although I've just been suspended from BGG again.)

Oh do tell...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2011 02:48 #98051 by Stormcow
Replied by Stormcow on topic Re: Primordial Soup?
Can anyone compare Primordial Soup with Reef Encounter? They seem to be the same kind of game, just from looking at reviews.

More
16 Jun 2011 08:56 #98055 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re: Primordial Soup?

dave wrote: Chaos: In what sense? The primary random element are the environment cards, which get easier to predict as the game enfolds. You only have to manage risks in four different directions of drift. The bigger issue is when the BP limit drastically drops, but that's just one small item of risk to add in.

It's the drift aspect that I found annoying. It's not controllable or predictable in any way (which is why I say it's bad chaos) and it can play a big part in the game. You can of course buy genes that allow you to move against the drift but then you're playing into the hands of other people who are up on the strategic flaw you mention - you buy movement genes, they start to collect the genes required for the ultimate strategy.

Again I suggest the OP downloads the windows version of the game and tries it for himself. Look, I even dug out a link:

doris-frank.de/UrsuppeWin.html

And having looked up the game I also came across my comment:

"Strangely uninvolving. Feels like there's little control (even though there is) and the game seems to descend into a race for the best gene combinations. Plus all those little food cubes to sort each round are too damn fiddly."

And I rated it a six. So perhaps I liked it more than I'm remembering, but I still wouldn't buy it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dair

More
16 Jun 2011 12:29 #98056 by Dair
Replied by Dair on topic Re: Primordial Soup?
Great comments all. Thank you very much. I don't know how much play this would get at my house, so I am going to wait. I will try to get a game with my buddies copy to see for myself.

I may also try the windows version of the game. Thanks for finding the link Matt.

More
16 Jun 2011 18:50 - 16 Jun 2011 18:51 #98067 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re: Primordial Soup?
Schweig! wrote:
" (Although I've just been suspended from BGG again.)"
Heh, what did you do this time?
" I've only played it once though."
For shame!

ubarose wrote:
" this one guy is always talking trash about it, so I could never get anyone to play. So about a month ago I finally get a couple of people to play it with me, and I ask the guy who is always talking trash about it if he wants to teach it or if he wants me to, and he tells me he has never played it. Go figure."
I figure he's a moron. Wait, even worse: a fun murderer! Kill 'im!
Last edit: 16 Jun 2011 18:51 by Notahandle.

More
16 Jun 2011 19:22 #98069 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: Primordial Soup?

Notahandle wrote: I figure he's a moron. Wait, even worse: a fun murderer! Kill 'im!

He's actually a really fun, charismatic guy that I enjoy playing games with. However, he sometimes repeats things that he has heard or read as if they are his personal opinion. And being a fun, charasmatic guy, his opinion has some weight.

More
17 Jun 2011 02:59 - 17 Jun 2011 03:07 #98087 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: Primordial Soup?

Stonecutter wrote: Oh do tell...

Notahandle wrote: Heh, what did you do this time?

My mistake, I treaded into RSP again... apparently Mr. Banhammer-upon-his-arse Octavian and that Drew guy (who was the original wanker as betokened by Mr. Skeletor himself) are Tea Party sympathisers which in and on itself isn't bad, but apparently they jerk each other off on a regular basis, so this has been the second time now that I have been banned by Octavian for criticising one of Drew's posts.

This time it was in a debate about homophobia and how a study suggested that it's rooted in suppressed homosexuality. The debate was a good one and nobody really called into question the *scientific* results of the study until Drew came along posting "Yay! Confirmation bias!". My first interpretation of this statement was that he seemingly felt offended in his perceived freedom of homophobia, but not entirely sure about this, I asked what the intention of the post was or whether he was just trolling.

Result: 5 day suspension for accusation of trolling.
Last edit: 17 Jun 2011 03:07 by Schweig!.

More
17 Jun 2011 08:32 #98092 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re: Primordial Soup?

Schweig! wrote: Result: 5 day suspension for accusation of trolling.

That's disgusting. Oddly I accused him of trolling a few days earlier in a thread about climate change and I got no action at all other than a reminder that I ought not to accuse people of trolling. Double standards?

Interestingly it would be far better for Drew if he did claim to be a troll - because the alternative is that he's a moronic, unconscionable, grade-A tosspot.

More
18 Jun 2011 10:19 #98141 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: Primordial Soup?
Now I'm permanently banned.

More
18 Jun 2011 11:40 #98143 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re: Primordial Soup?
I hope it's because you were talking about it here - that would be too much.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds