October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Cult of the New worn off on 7 Wonders?

• SuperWeeks TNT
  • SuperWeeks TNT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Jun 2011 18:51 #98840 by SuperWeeks TNT
Cult of the New worn off on 7 Wonders? was created by SuperWeeks TNT

For those of you you like 7 Wonders, is it holding up under repeated plays?

Will it take its place amoung the throne room of Settlers, Carc and Ticket to Ride or will it fall from grace?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2011 18:55 #98841 by Black Barney
I've only played it thrice and it got better and better but there is NO WAY that game will hold up. I think it's better than those other games you mentionned tho.

The length of the game is terrific so I think it'll come off the shelf fairly often.

More
30 Jun 2011 19:00 #98843 by Ska_baron
Um, what's your definition of "hold up" then Barney?

I think this game will have legs for me and mine. Actually the biggest test will probably come this summer when I break it out for more than 4 people. That's the max we've played and a lot of tension could be lost with more since you're less and less able to draft multiple times from each hand of cards.

Thinking Citadels may be better for 6-7, but takes a longer time with newbs. 7W, not so much.

More
30 Jun 2011 19:03 #98844 by Black Barney
lol, yeah my first and second paragraphs are contrary to one another, that's too funny.

Are there going to be expansions for 7 Wonders? I think that the game is better than other games that haven't held up and 7 Wonders could easily still see play as a 4-player 'quickie' but that would be it. I hear that every other player configuration makes for a MUCH less interesting game. I'm not sure if that's true or not.

• SuperWeeks TNT
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Jun 2011 19:03 - 30 Jun 2011 19:04 #98845 by SuperWeeks TNT
Replied by SuperWeeks TNT on topic Re: Cult of the New worn off on 7 Wonders?
Interesting. Anybody played with 7? It seems the military component with 7 would change the game quite a bit as opposed with only 3 or 4 players
Last edit: 30 Jun 2011 19:04 by SuperWeeks TNT.

More
30 Jun 2011 19:21 #98848 by Ska_baron
There is an upcoming expansion for it introducing Leader cards that give you special abilities and you draft them pre game I think.

My question is actually playing with 2. Havent really looked at it, but seems like it'd be kinda lame like Alhambra with 2...

More
30 Jun 2011 19:45 #98852 by san il defanso
I like 7 Wonders fine, but after about 10 games I was pretty much done. I never bought it thankfully, but most of my friends who bought it traded it off during the great "7 WONDERS IS OUT OF PRINT!!!1 Panic of 2011". One guy got Memoir '44 plus about 5 expansions for it.

The hysteria for the game is mildly irritating to me. I can go to any game night, and at least 3 games of it are going on. It's just not deep enough to be more than a passing interest for me though.

It does play fast, no matter how many players there are. The interaction goes down with more people though. The whole point of big group games is that the interaction goes way up. If you ask me, 7 Wonders is an excuse to not split a game group into smaller groups. We don't always have to play the same game, people.

More
30 Jun 2011 20:19 #98858 by repoman
I have only ever played it three times and always with 7. I think the game is ok and I agree with San that it usually comes out when a group can't make the break into two different games.

With 7 people there is so much going and and most of that beyond your ability to effect that you end up focusing only on your game. Interaction outside of determining if the people next to you have the resources you need is at a minimum.

I think the game is ok but not great. A time filler more than anything else.

I rate it a solid 7. (Ha! You see what I did just there?)

• SuperWeeks TNT
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Jun 2011 20:58 #98859 by SuperWeeks TNT
Replied by SuperWeeks TNT on topic Re: Cult of the New worn off on 7 Wonders?
Just watched the Jeremy Salinas video in HD( Grinch smile) and Salinas says 7 Wonders may be the best game he has EVER played.

I have heard the filler comment from many people and a filler game can never achieve greatness only a potential Iphone App translation.

More
30 Jun 2011 21:39 #98860 by Xlyce
I have about 15 plays, mostly with 3-4 and I am finding it average. I prefer it with 7, because then you know you will only see these cards once.

More
30 Jun 2011 23:15 #98862 by SuperflyPete
It's amazing to me that people still buy most games when a place like Board Game Exchange is around. I partnered up with them specifically because I think that 95% of all games are "experience" products you'll play very little after the first initial "wow" is gone, and then you have something that 'used' to be cool sitting on your shelf collecting dust.

Sure, there's a ton of exceptions to this, but the games you play a lot, and often, are far less than those that start out like true love and end up like OJ and Nicole.

More
01 Jul 2011 06:26 #98867 by SaMoKo
I felt that 7 Wonders is kinda like the set collecting from RA, but with card drafting instead of a really cool auction going on to get the sets. After a lot of plays, I still feel that, except I think that RA is a helluva lot more interactive and 7 Wonders is crap.

More
01 Jul 2011 10:56 #98871 by wice
I find it quite surprising how much love 7 Wonders gets on this site. I played it twice (with 7 players) and absolutely hated every single minute of it.

More
01 Jul 2011 11:36 #98872 by Ska_baron
Maybe it helps that I play with my family and not hardcore gamers? I would play with my gamer friends, but more than likely would opt for something more complex that I couldnt play otherwise.

More
01 Jul 2011 14:15 #98880 by Sagrilarus
This one strikes me as a game in the Memoir/Dominion/Small World mold -- designed more to generate long-term revenues with add-on products than to stand on its own as a game.

S.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds