October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Game Night Freak-outs

More
25 Apr 2012 17:04 - 25 Apr 2012 17:06 #123805 by Disgustipater
The only board game night freakout I've seen was when I was playing Dune at a church game night with several people I'd never met before. About halfway through the game, the Guild player starts whining and complaining about how everyone is ganging up on him and how he wanted to quit. The rest of us managed to talk him down and we finished out the game, coincidentally with him winning the default Guild victory. I hope I never play with him again.

Interesting things have happened at our poker nights, however. This isn't really a freak-out as much as a spectacle. There were about 10 of us around the table, including the woman the host was seeing at the time, and her friend Sarah. The two women were pretty much drunk and being loud and irritating. At one point they start throwing poker chips at people. Not out of anger, but in that "I'm drunk and oblivious to my actions" kind of way. As those chips might as well be his children, the host announced that the next person to throw a chip would have to leave. So they settle down, for a time.

We tend to use card protectors, which are little toys or widgets to set on your cards to keep them from getting mucked accidentally. So anyway, I don't remember what triggered it, but probably nothing but her alcohol-addle brain, but Sarah picks up her card protector, which happens to be a little terracotta car souvenir, and throws it across the table at our friend Aaron. It bounces off the table and hits him in the forehead. He immediately stands up and starts shouting at her. Then he said, "If you were a guy, we'd be going outside right now." Aaron's wife responds by saying something to the effect of, "I'll do it, let's go outside." There was a 'bitch' inserted somewhere in there. Aaron agrees. At this point the host tries to calm everyone down, and Aaron repeatedly, and loudly, tells Sarah she needs to leave (and I think most of us agreed). The host calms everyone down and we take a break, although strangely, the host doesn't really do anything about Sarah. I found it odd that his poker chips were a no-no but someone gets his in the face and he shrugs? My personal theory is that he didn't want to piss off his girl by throwing her friend out, which is pretty shitty, but whatever. Aaron and his wife leave when it is clear that Sarah is staying.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2012 17:06 by Disgustipater.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2012 17:21 - 25 Apr 2012 17:38 #123806 by SuperflyPete

Ken B. wrote:

ZMan wrote: When I was a kid, we were playing Risk and I had like 14 dudes fighting one dude in Siam, with the hope of taking over Australia. The SOB rolled like a fiend and beat every one of my guys, with the last 4 rolls being 6s.

I was so pissed I took a hammer and caved his skull in, but I didn't stop hitting until Australia and Asia were covered with his brain and blood.

The others were laughing their f'ing asses off, way before LMFAO was invented.

What?

:)

Zev, any tips for getting brains and blood off of cardboard?

It was Risk: Legacy, and the brain chunks added to the character and value. The whole of Germany wept.

As an aside, because I am a peoplewatcher, and at GenCon I have ~my friends~ and then there's everyone else, I play with my friends, but back at a room after the day's events. The rest of my time is spent walking along just checking shit out, taking pictures, all that jazz. I'm in it for the fun of the experience and the shit you just can't see anywhere else. I mean, I can play any game I want pretty much 3-5 days after I decide I want it, so why try to squeeze all that gaming into a couple days at GenCon when there's SO MUCH MORE to do?

So, I've seen Magic players flipping out, I've seen wailing, gnashing of teeth, screaming, a couple of pussies pushing each other with cigarettes in their mouths out front of the halls since Indy is a no-smoking city...but that Star Wars thing was the best because I got to stand there and watch the guy disintegrate.

We've seen some very testy Heroscape matches at GenCon, because while the tourney scene outside of GenCon is really mellow, the fangs sometimes come out with some of the dickheads that have something to prove. (Myself included, twice...but I'm claiming provocation in both cases).

There's a guy on Heroscapers.com who is an engineer, goes by the handle Dok. Arrogant son of a bitch. Everyone hates playing against him because he's constantly taking notes on each move, constantly commenting on the rules and whatnot, constantly just being a nitpicky little bitch. I played him and it was cool, I just asked him nicely to quit talking so fucking much because it was starting to be irritating and he was cool with that, and so we chatted about Colorado and whatnot. I found him to be pleasant after that. But then..then came Tom. Tom is my buddy from Costa Rica (he's pictured holding the bottle of rum in my 2011 Gencon Magazine) and he's one of the nicest guys on the planet. He'd go to jail for STEALING a shirt off of someone's back to give to you kind of guy.

Anyhow, the one thing he HATES is Heroscape Geniuses. He's won the championship like 5 times and he's always so mellow, so courteous....but he played Dok and it was a fucking catfight. Both of them were acting like dickweeds, but he was more direct and Dok was more passive aggressive. It was fun to watch. He ended up losing and was PISSED, but he was still cool about it. Don't think Dok got spoken to by anyone for 2 more days.

Another guy, LeftOn4Ya, always leaves his shit lying around. I know the guy fairly well and he's a smart guy, funny, good personality, but just isn't quite "right", I guess, socially, and he can't seem to remember shit. Well, he carted around a whole bunch of Heroscape stuff, some quite valuable, in case someone wanted to trade with him. Well, at Origins a bunch of thuggish looking dudes came up and apparently swiped a bunch of his shit, and then later in the year at GenCon, someone swiped a bunch more of his shit, really expensive stuff, that he left lying around.

I feel bad for him to this day because he's a nice guy, and always is cool to let people use his armies and stuff, but man, he just keeps getting jacked and it's really fucked up.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2012 17:38 by SuperflyPete.

More
25 Apr 2012 18:10 #123816 by san il defanso
I can't speak for anyone else, but I much prefer it when someone gets out-and-out angry, instead of merely pissy and whiney. Anger tends to blow over quickly, but the whiner will ruin the game for the rest of the night.

My recent league of Das Motorsportspiel had a league rule that you could have one temper tantrum per evening. One guy got pissed enough at his dice that he threw them across the room. I generally think that's a good rule to have at any game night. We all lose our cool sometimes, and for us it's nice to have an acknowledgment that at the end of the night we will still be friends and will still play games together.

One freak-out that I wasn't there for involved "mrbeankc" from BGG, if you know who he is. He lives in the area and goes to game night at the store I frequent. Apparently one night he played BSG with some other friends of mine and started moaning about how everyone else was picking on him, which then amplified their torment of him. He was apparently almost reduced to tears. I am glad I wasn't there, but in another more accurate way I'm sad I missed it.

More
25 Apr 2012 19:21 #123826 by username
Replied by username on topic Re: Game Night Freak-outs
I snapped on a guy at a 40K tournament once. I don't remember what edition it was in, but due to the rules at that particular time and the end of his unit I had assaulted he was screwed.

He kept offering to let me assault much deeper into the unit than my movement would allow "to do me a favor, trust me it'll be better" which actually was going to expose my dreadnaught to his anti dreadnaught power fist and be an illegal move.

so after a few times that he insists I not follow the rules because it'll be better for him, while he insists it's going to help me, he finally just takes my model and moves it where he wants it. I politely move it back and say "i'll just go where the rules say to" He insists on moving it back like three times and acting like he's doing me a favor. So we've now exchanged about 7-8 times about this, with the last three times him moving my model and me politely putting where it belongs to when he reaches for it again I'm all

DON'T FUCKEN TOUCH MY MODEL AGAIN YOU PATHETIC POWERGAMING PERMAVIRGIN

and the whole place goes quiet for a giant awkward moment. We finish our game with no talk outside of what is necessary to finish the match.
The following user(s) said Thank You: billyz, Rliyen, san il defanso, SuperflyPete, Fallen

More
25 Apr 2012 19:58 #123831 by Notahandle
No freak-outs that I can recall. But one guy at the game club is usually an obnoxious asshole, apparently getting more enjoyment from irritating people than from the game, so I suspect one might be due...

San Il Defanso wrote:
" But after that the host of the game night took me aside and told me that if I had any more outbursts like that I was welcome to not come back. I felt absolutely AWFUL about the whole thing,"
That seems grossly unfair. They get away scot-free for creating the situation? Fuck that.

mjl1783: That's priceless!!

More
25 Apr 2012 20:05 #123833 by san il defanso

Notahandle wrote: San Il Defanso wrote:
" But after that the host of the game night took me aside and told me that if I had any more outbursts like that I was welcome to not come back. I felt absolutely AWFUL about the whole thing,"
That seems grossly unfair. They get away scot-free for creating the situation? Fuck that.

They weren't raising their voices: I was. It was actually a pretty brilliant tactic to act as upset as they did, but it merely encouraged each other to keep going. I was the only one taken in. And they actually apologized to me afterwards.

I seriously felt terrible, but we laugh about it now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle

More
26 Apr 2012 04:28 #123862 by Space Ghost
Nothing too extreme here. A few years ago, 5 or 6 of us would get together and play games and have a few drinks. We always met at my best friend's house. I can't even remember what we were playing -- maybe Bootleggers -- but one of the guys gets extremely obnoxious when he has too much to drink. My friend was having a rough night and the guy was just giving him all kinds of shit.

My friend stood up, lowered his shoulder, hit the guy like a full-on tackle in the gut, put him over his shoulder and carried him up the stairs and out of his house. Came back in and finished his turn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
26 Apr 2012 07:50 - 26 Apr 2012 07:53 #123864 by Harkonnen13
Every year Game Towne in San Diego has Game Fest. Used to be a big deal, got pretty lame in the last 10 or so years and dwindled to about 15 store regulars attending. A mix of RPGs, minis wargames, and a group of guys that play euros from store opening until they get told to leave around midnight. Not normal people playing those euros, the worst case scenario of really fat (save one) old guys wearing the same t shirts with dragons on them that they wore last year at Game Fest. They only played with each other and nobody ever wanted in on their games. You only saw most of them at Game Fest. The one skinny guy that played those euros (who was married to a regular at that store- a charming balding woman who would stand behind you when you were playing games and talk about how bad the game you were playing was, sometimes for hours but that's another story) was obviously getting riled during some euro that had cards involved. He got louder and louder until he threw his cards and yelled at the top of his lungs "DON'T TELL ME HOW TO PLAY! DON'T TELL ME HOW TO PLAY!" and ran out of the building. It was pretty fucking weird. He was not seen again during Game fest which was unusual since I think that little gathering was a high point of his life. Come to think of it those eurogame guys always had at least one meltdown every year but that was the best one.

That same year me and a friend staged a fake meltdown that we planned out ahead of time and culminated in me yelling "DON'T TOUCH MY DICE MIKE! I'LL FUCK YOU UP!". It went pretty well, lots of freaked-out looking game players when we did it, but the store employees didn't know the other guy very well and were getting ready to throw him out. He had to come get me so I could tell the employees it was a joke. Ah, Game Fest.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2012 07:53 by Harkonnen13.

More
26 Apr 2012 20:34 #123915 by MattFantastic
I bought my first Player's Handbook at Game Towne. I still love going when I'm in town, though it's lost a lot of it's magic since I was 6.

More
26 Apr 2012 22:37 #123922 by SuperflyPete
I'm posting one preemptively:

At WBC 2012 Loter saw Weeks playing Dune, while standing over the table to see better. Loter ran up and Gorilla fucked him while the Bene Gesserit player correctly predicted Weeks was secretly enjoying the Gom Jabbaring he was receiving. Loter wiped his dick off on the tablecloth and strolled on in his Snow White outfit while sipping on spiced rum.

Weeks tried to stand, but was too weak. Just then, Scott Nicholson walks by and said to him, "God created Arrakis to Train the faithful. One cannot go against the word of God" just before plowing balls deep into him...thereby completing the "training" of the faithful.

and Weeks wept, but tears of joy.

More
26 Apr 2012 22:43 - 26 Apr 2012 22:46 #123923 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re: Game Night Freak-outs
I've had more meltdowns than I can count. What?! I get like that sometimes! I'll always be on my best behavior around anyone I meet from this site, because I don't want to look like an ass- but my friends wait for that moment when I lose my shit with great impatience.

Two years ago we where playing 4 player Crokinole in the gaming library at Gencon and me and my team mate where in the process of getting our asses handed to us for the fifth time in a row. At one point I just lost it, grabbed the board and shook the living fuck out of it, and stormed out of the library. My friends were pissing themselves laughing, not only because of what just happened, but because they knew for a fact that had the library not been as full as it was I would have launched that motherfucker discus style.

At Trashfest 2 Me, Josh Look, Loter, Ken and fucked if I can remember who else, where playing a game of CIToW. Now Josh starts up with this whole Honey Badger shit. "The Honey Badger don't give a fuck Billy!" and "OOoo he's eating larva -that's so nasty!"That's when I just out and ask him what the fuck he's talking about, and he gives me this whole spiel about how the Honey Badger has got this rubbery skin that's hard as fuck to pierce, and that's been known to be almost impervious to spears, arrows, and small calibre ammo. At this point everyone but me is snickering, because I was the only one to have never seen the Honey Badger video on you tube, and I'm starting to get just a little fucking pissed because unbeknownst to Josh I was going through a crazy rough time and went to Trashfest to unwind, and here I have this tall, babyfaced, gangly limbed, smartass fucking with me. I swear I seriously considered slapping the shit out of Josh Look.

At one point, Josh went to get something to drink and I straight up told Loter: "Is Josh fucking with me or what? I swear I gonna slap that fucking kid!"

Matt tells this story best. The funny thing is that I really like Josh--- but still... FUCK JOSH LOOK!
Last edit: 26 Apr 2012 22:46 by billyz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, repoman

More
26 Apr 2012 23:37 #123925 by imrahil327
Didn't realize we had so many San Diego locals (or former locals in Loter's case, apparently) in the AT. Is Game Towne the one in Old Town? I think I went in there once, got creeped out, and never went back. Game Empire ain't great but it'll do for most things, and At Ease up in Poway is good. I didn't know there was a "con" or whatever one would call it there, either...

More
27 Apr 2012 01:49 #123931 by SuperflyPete

billyz wrote: At Trashfest 2 Me, Josh Look, Loter, Ken and fucked if I can remember who else, where playing a game of CIToW. Now Josh starts up with this whole Honey Badger shit. "The Honey Badger don't give a fuck Billy!" and "OOoo he's eating larva -that's so nasty!"That's when I just out and ask him what the fuck he's talking about, and he gives me this whole spiel about how the Honey Badger has got this rubbery skin that's hard as fuck to pierce, and that's been known to be almost impervious to spears, arrows, and small calibre ammo. At this point everyone but me is snickering, because I was the only one to have never seen the Honey Badger video on you tube, and I'm starting to get just a little fucking pissed because unbeknownst to Josh I was going through a crazy rough time and went to Trashfest to unwind, and here I have this tall, babyfaced, gangly limbed, smartass fucking with me. I swear I seriously considered slapping the shit out of Josh Look.

Oh damn I remember that shit. It was epic. He was doing it perfectly too "Oh, that sooooo nasty" ROFL. That shit was classic, and you could see the steam coming off of you. I was sitting on the side couch playing Epic Duels with Scott and others while Avery was crooning about being in the Chaostle snakepit for two hours.

What a time.

More
27 Apr 2012 04:11 #123937 by The King in Yellow
I'm not going to do any work myself, but I am going to take advantage of the work of others and direct you to Ameritrash legend Robert Martin's geeklist "Games Where Some Guy Just Totally Flipped Out."
www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/16034/gam...-totally-flipped-out

More
27 Apr 2012 08:04 - 27 Apr 2012 08:14 #123939 by Ryan B.
Replied by Ryan B. on topic Re: Game Night Freak-outs
It has to be fun to watch when it happens. But never have seen it.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2012 08:14 by Ryan B..

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.061 seconds