October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Need F:AT users help with game purchase.

More
27 Apr 2012 03:16 - 27 Apr 2012 03:31 #123932 by sgosaric
You must know I'm quite frustrated if I had to resolve asking this on F:AT, but here at least I hope that there are people who'll understand.

On TOS I won a gift certificate that's available at my FLGS (76 €, full retail price). I'm broke, so that's my only bigger purchase in a foreseeable future. But I have a dilemma.
A) I can buy a game I would like at risk of nobody wanting to play with me.
B) I could buy a game I know my friends would tolerate and I would like, just not be crazy about it.

Game B is Small World. Played once. It's ok. Conflict it has. It's thinky and sometimes that might be good. (backup: Survive!)

Game A is --- No Idea. Or more ideas. No clear favourite.
> What I would want is a game with narrative flow (not necessarily thematic) that doesn't hurry too much. 2-3 hours, 4 hours max. Also interaction required (playing opponent, not the game) , negotiation preferred if possible.
> Who I can play it with. A) Friends - meaning not too heavy and hardly with more than 4 at the same time. B) Eurogamers at the gaming club I visit who, mostly will avoid longer games (unless euro) and avoid backstab and negotiation (well, maybe 2 are willing to try).
> Nongamer friendly epic would be ideal, but that's probably a contradiction in terms. Most FFG titles are within my finance capabilities.

Suspect:
1) A Game of Thrones. (2nd ed)
+) I love Diplomacy and this seems a bit more managable to put on the table.
-) Too many players to work (5-6) and everybody whines it's not balanced (even some ameritrashers I just met). I do not mind it, but it just means it needs repeated plays in order for players to know the imbalances. And this is a tough call.

Also considered:
2) Fury of Dracula (has lukewarm reception, mostly said to be too long for what it is)
3) Dominant Species (played two times, but I can play it in the club. Nice gameflow and good rulebook, but opaque.)
4) Risk Legacy (won't buy alone, fuck it. this is a group purchase)
5) Summoner Wars mater set. (I dunno, not epic and am not really looking at 2 player game right now. In Europe is bit expensive, yeah I know, I shouldn't care).
6) War Of the Ring (not really looking at 2 player epic as I have 2 or 3 of them unplayed already).
7) Confusion: Espionage in the Cold War (Love the idea, but it's 2 player and not sure if GF would like)
8) Eclipse (OOP, club has it on preorder)
9) Wiz War. (Dunno. After SmallWorld and Survive!)
10) King of Tokyo (OOP)

Will not buy:
11) Nexus Ops. Because I love AH's Nexus graphic design FFG one is ugly.
12) Rex. My favourite sci-fi novel is Dune...
In both cases I would be thinking of the original versions I'd rather play than these two. And I'm am very sure I would love both originals.

Own: Cosmic Encounter, CITOW, MEQ, AH, Cyclades, TOTAN
Own, unplayed: TS, TTA, Android, Maria, Innovation

any ideas? suggestions? threats?
Last edit: 27 Apr 2012 03:31 by sgosaric.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2012 03:31 - 27 Apr 2012 03:34 #123933 by jeb
You should get SURVIVE: ESCAPE FROM ATLANTIS. That game is great, and is a secret AT masterpiece. I don't know if it's the meeples or the shitty box art that has Euro players convinced this is in their wheelhouse, but whatever, take advantage. I love this game, and the optional dice included to let you play SURVIVE or ESCAPE FROM ATLANTIS style will keep things fresh. Great purchase and will get played.

My next pick would be DOMINANT SPECIES. If you can get your group to consistently play this, you'll be having a good time. There's a ton of game in there, and once folks have the rules down you can really do some awesome stuff. Obviously CiTOW would be better, but that may be {pinky raised} distasteful {/pinky raised} to some.

//edit: Wait, you can't get them to play THROUGH THE AGES? Make us a list of games you have played--this could be worse than I thought.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2012 03:34 by jeb.

More
27 Apr 2012 03:50 #123934 by ubarose
It is stupid to spend your money on a game that you will never get to play, especially when you are broke. I have a copy of Struggle of Empires, which is a great game that I love, that has been sitting unplayed for 3 years because no one will play it with us. It's been sitting so long that I have forgotten how to play it.

You should talk to the people you play with and get their input on what they would play with you, so you don't end up with a super awesome game that you love sitting unplayed on your shelf for years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fallen

More
27 Apr 2012 03:58 #123935 by ThirstyMan
Incursion is fun and 2 player so shouldn't be too difficult to find someone up for US army vs nazi zombies in an alternative history.

I've had success, even with non gamers, with Battlestar Galactica because it's super narrative driven and has secret spies to fuck everything up. Good time had by all.

More
27 Apr 2012 11:57 - 27 Apr 2012 11:59 #123942 by sgosaric

ubarose wrote: It is stupid to spend your money on a game that you will never get to play, especially when you are broke.

On the other hand, to use the money I've won, on a game that's basically meant for other people not myself doesn't make me a happy camper, either. Either way is not ideal.
(Asking group doesn't work as my friends don't make a fixed group and my club doesn't play games repeatedly. I am asking my GF on opinion, though).

Somehow there are not many of game in print right now, I am crazy about, hence this thread and I really welcome new ideas.

@Incursion - I have Claustrophobia we're happy with and still have many scenarios to play.
@ BSG - I'll consider it though I avoided it as was hard to get 5 players (and I want Game of thornes...). Played it for the first time this week, but Cyclon revealed herself on first turn, so ... must play more.

@Survive! was on top of my wishlist for some time. I think the reason I'm with Small World over this one is I'd like a bit of crunch in my nongaming friendly game if I go in this direction (and there is still conflict). I'll try to get it play, somebody at my club owns it.

@TTA - The reason this is unplayed is that I bought German edition (50% the price, sorry Eagle). But, I still need to take a day to make all the player aides (card translations). Most games we haven't played was due to me not taking time to learn them or fall asleep over rulebook or there was some assembly acquired (like printing out rewritten rules for Stronghold and the like)
Last edit: 27 Apr 2012 11:59 by sgosaric.

More
27 Apr 2012 13:30 #123947 by MattFantastic

ubarose wrote: I have a copy of Struggle of Empires, which is a great game that I love, that has been sitting unplayed for 3 years because no one will play it with us. It's been sitting so long that I have forgotten how to play it.

Let's play tomorrow before we record the podcast!
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors

More
27 Apr 2012 14:31 #123951 by repoman

ubarose wrote: I have a copy of Struggle of Empires, which is a great game that I love, that has been sitting unplayed for 3 years because no one will play it with us. It's been sitting so long that I have forgotten how to play it.

That's because you are always playing train games.

More
27 Apr 2012 15:10 #123954 by ubarose

repoman wrote:

That's because you are always playing train games.

Dude, I play what my friends want to play. Whenever I pull out a game and suggest it, everyone makes faces, but then they play it anyway, because they know they haven't played something that I've picked in a really long time. But they are totally miserable during the game and let me know that they are totally miserable. And that makes it totally not fun at all. I'd rather play a train game with happy people than a cool game with miserable people.

Also you should play Struggle of Empires with me, because it's cool and you won't be miserable.

But back to sgosaric's problems.

I didn't mean to imply that you should buy a game that is meant for other people and not for yourself. I mean that you should ask people if they would play Game of Thrones with you. If they will, then you know you should buy it. If nobody will, than you should ask them if they know any game that they would like to play with you that has the qualities you listed in your above post. You can then look into those. If you discover nothing on their list appeals, you at least have some insight into what they would play, and you can come up with a list of games that you want, but which take their interests into consideration. You said you like negotiation games. Finding a game that you really like, and that other people are also interested in is a negotiation game.

Finally, if Game of Thrones gets shot down, you should check out Wiraqocha. It has aspects of Nexus Ops and Small World. It's not epic, like Game of Thrones, but it might work for you.

More
27 Apr 2012 15:13 #123955 by VonTush
-Survive is a great game, and with the 5-6 player expansion it makes it even more versatile, but I think you really need four to make the game great. Any less and I think it just feels hollow.

-Mansions of Madness might work well. But I'd try before you buy as it is a game that divides people. Some love and some hate. It is a game that isn't that complex (provided you have a knowledgeable person playing the keeper) so would be accessible to non-gamer friends and is about two hours.

-Merchants and Marauders is great. Fits the time-frame. Isn't that complex once people get the hang of it (just a few turns of actually doing it and everything starts to click). Can be as interactive as you want or as passive as you want for the most part.

-Blood Bowl: Team Manager is cheap enough that it might allow you to get another game as well. Lots of variety and a lot of game packed into a small package.

-Deadwood would be a good complement to BB:TM. It will work better with your Euro Crowd, but does have some good interaction. I've only played once though but I know others were talking it up a while back.

More
27 Apr 2012 16:06 #123967 by Fallen

ubarose wrote: It is stupid to spend your money on a game that you will never get to play, especially when you are broke. I have a copy of Struggle of Empires, which is a great game that I love, that has been sitting unplayed for 3 years because no one will play it with us. It's been sitting so long that I have forgotten how to play it.

You should talk to the people you play with and get their input on what they would play with you, so you don't end up with a super awesome game that you love sitting unplayed on your shelf for years.

My copy of Struggle is getting the same attention. We're moving come June and this is one of the games that isn't going to be coming with us. Great game no one seems to excited to play.

More
27 Apr 2012 23:05 - 27 Apr 2012 23:09 #124029 by sgosaric

ubarose wrote: You said you like negotiation games. Finding a game that you really like, and that other people are also interested in is a negotiation game.

If you know the precise recipients yes. Otherwise is a guessing game, not unlike market analysis. ;)

ubarose wrote: Finally, if Game of Thrones gets shot down, you should check out Wiraqocha. It has aspects of Nexus Ops and Small World. It's not epic, like Game of Thrones, but it might work for you.

Interesting. I buying "safe", so I'll wait if this one gets a bit more reviews and if it becomes available in the EU, but looks something I'd be interested in. (Looks like Cyclades type of heavy and I enjoy Cyclades). Really nice recommendation. Also not expensive. Is Evo worth picking up in comparison? (GF is a dinosaur fan)
@MoM - as I understand this requires expansions. Might as well pick up MTG again.
@Euros with no direct confrontation - don't need them as my gaming club has plenty of them.

Right now I'm down to 6 games
the heavy: BSG, aGoT, Eclipse (I can wait a month and a half)
the light: Small World, Survive!, Confusion
Last edit: 27 Apr 2012 23:09 by sgosaric.

More
28 Apr 2012 03:38 #124045 by ubarose

sgosaric wrote: Interesting. I buying "safe", so I'll wait if this one gets a bit more reviews and if it becomes available in the EU, but looks something I'd be interested in. (Looks like Cyclades type of heavy and I enjoy Cyclades). Really nice recommendation. Also not expensive. Is Evo worth picking up in comparison? (GF is a dinosaur fan)
@MoM - as I understand this requires expansions. Might as well pick up MTG again.
@Euros with no direct confrontation - don't need them as my gaming club has plenty of them.

Right now I'm down to 6 games
the heavy: BSG, aGoT, Eclipse (I can wait a month and a half)
the light: Small World, Survive!, Confusion

Wiraqocha was published by a French company. I expected it would be easier to find by you than over here.

Wiraqocha is more cut throat than Evo, but Evo has dinosaurs. Dinos are cool.I would say both are on the light side, about the same as Small World. I actually haven't played Evo in a long time. I thought it was cute and interesting, but my Euro gamer friends were cry babies that didn't like having their dinos attacked, and my AT friends though it was weak sauce. The down side of both Evo and Wiraqocha is that they are both kind of 'meh' with only two players.

Eclipse might be a good compromise. I haven't played it with only 2 players, but it plays fine with 3,4 and 5. It seems to appeal to many different types of gamers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sgosaric

More
28 Apr 2012 17:42 #124075 by Notahandle
Wiz War covers both (A) and (B) categories, why not sound them out about it?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.421 seconds