October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Deals and Steals

More
08 Dec 2012 19:01 #139120 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re: Deals and Steals

Jeff White wrote: How about Castle Ravenloft for $29.99 shipped at Amazon?

www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Castle-R...1&keywords=ravenloft

$24.99 with the free $5 off (though you have to give them access to your FB data :( )

www.amazon.com/gp/socialmedia/promotions...cle-boardgamegeek-20

Holy jeebus, that is one freaking sweet deal! If I didn't own all three of the adventure games you'd better believe I'd be all over that.

Hell, might be worth it just for D&D players wanting some minis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2012 14:02 #139131 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: Deals and Steals
If they ever sell Drizzt, I'd get on that.

More
10 Dec 2012 00:19 #139159 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re: Deals and Steals

SuperflyTNT wrote: If they ever sell Drizzt, I'd get on that.

Their price on Drizzt is $41.35 at the moment. Not substantially better than other online places, except for free Prime shipping without meeting a $75 or $100 minimum. For just that one game, it's a pretty good deal.

More
15 Dec 2012 19:19 #139683 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Re: Deals and Steals
Star Wars: X-Wing ship packs are back on sale at Amazon.com for $8.74.
Free ship if you spend $25

More
15 Dec 2012 23:06 #139691 by dragonstout
Replied by dragonstout on topic Re: Deals and Steals
Thanks dude! Goddammit. Now I've got something to think about. If it weren't so damn raved about, it'd be an easy "no" for me: beyond setup time, why would I ever play this instead of Heroscape? Actual dudes with a head and arms and legs are so much cooler to me than spaceships or any kind of vehicles.

More
15 Dec 2012 23:27 #139692 by Bull Nakano
Replied by Bull Nakano on topic Re: Deals and Steals

dragonstout wrote: Thanks dude! Goddammit. Now I've got something to think about. If it weren't so damn raved about, it'd be an easy "no" for me: beyond setup time, why would I ever play this instead of Heroscape? Actual dudes with a head and arms and legs are so much cooler to me than spaceships or any kind of vehicles.

I guess it's main offering is the simultaneous action selection combined with the maneuver limitations of your crafts. It really gives openings for clever play, where I find Heroscape (which I love) more straight forward. The system for building your crafts and choosing pilots is also pretty cool.

Someone on bgg converted the game to hex grid, so you could play a demo with proxy ships on HS terrain to see if you like it, you'd probably have to come up with a number system for moving, using playing cards and a chart would probably work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout

More
15 Dec 2012 23:34 #139693 by Million Dollar Mimring

Hex Sinister wrote: Star Wars: X-Wing ship packs are back on sale at Amazon.com for $8.74.
Free ship if you spend $25

Shit. I bought one of the Tie Advanced packs for 12 something about two weeks ago. Of all the rotten luck.

More
16 Dec 2012 01:36 #139700 by Hex Sinister
Mimring, I'm pretty sure coolstuffinc and miniaturemarket both keep this stuff regularly in stock for $9.99.

Dragonstout, if you have doubts about whether you would like it then this might be one you want to play first if that's possible. If you aren't into space fighters then definately try first. I would be bullshitting if I said toy factor was non-existant.

But it IS a good system that lets you focus on the play. Your attention is always on the dogfighting and not some fucking tableau or tables. No calculating stacks of modifiers here. Nothing wrong with any of that but sometimes straightforward and intuitive is nice. Weight is definately on the lower end - maybe a tick higher than Scape.

Bull Nakano pretty much summed it up I think. The action is all about the maneuvering guesswork and everything else just ties that together if that makes sense. Avoidance or taking a hit so you'll have a better position next turn? Can you make the perfect tight turn around that asteroid? Nope! Which is hilarious and cussworthy fun.

More
16 Dec 2012 07:54 #139709 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Re: Deals and Steals

dragonstout wrote: ... beyond setup time, why would I ever play this instead of Heroscape? Actual dudes with a head and arms and legs are so much cooler to me than spaceships or any kind of vehicles.

Could be worse, I hear all the cool kids are playing a card game called Magic. Or something.

More
16 Dec 2012 13:35 #139715 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: Deals and Steals
My plan is to wait until the AFTER Christmas sales. You know that's where the gravy is. And with people discounting these this low at this point, I'm really pretty sure that it's a matter of people overstocking a lot of stuff and now trying to cash in as best they can.

I love the look of the ships, I mean, they're outstanding. But I just don't see myself playing it that much, and 100$ to buy something that I won't play, even if it's pretty as all get out, is just kind of Dreadfleety.

More
17 Dec 2012 19:54 #139758 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: Deals and Steals
Mage Wars is on Tanga for $40. Listen people, one of the best games of the year. If you are feeling a little wishy-washy, now is the time to go full on "Washy" and get it.

www.tanga.com/deals/88681db399/mage-wars...d-game#close-facebox

More
17 Dec 2012 21:05 - 17 Dec 2012 21:05 #139761 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re: Deals and Steals

repoman wrote: Mage Wars is on Tanga for $40. Listen people, one of the best games of the year. If you are feeling a little wishy-washy, now is the time to go full on "Washy" and get it.

www.tanga.com/deals/88681db399/mage-wars...d-game#close-facebox

Second this. This is a very good game.
Last edit: 17 Dec 2012 21:05 by Space Ghost.

More
17 Dec 2012 21:41 #139762 by Hex Sinister
Thirded. Coolstuffinc also has this at a good price of $39. They also have the Core Spell 2 in stock now. I bought Core 1 and haven't even used it yet so...

More
17 Dec 2012 21:44 #139763 by Hex Sinister
Ack the new Netrunner pack is available! Usual $10, not a steal but just sayin'.

More
17 Dec 2012 23:04 #139771 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Deals and Steals
Got MAGE WARS at Amazon for $41, where I have Prime and mad money. Thanks for tipping me over though. Also tips my shelf over, the wife will kill me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds