October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Consulting Detective worth it?

More
25 Jun 2013 19:41 #155020 by scissors
Hey... I was thinking about maybe getting sherlock Holmes consulting detective but I am not sure I should pull the trigger. anybody here enjoy it?

have you played solo/cooperative/competitive? which is prefered?

While we're at it, anybody here tried the Fiasco RPG?

thx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2013 19:53 #155022 by the_jake_1973
I have enjoyed the Fiasco RPG. Since I have been unable to get a group to play, I end up using the game setup as a fantastic way to seed any RPG plot I may run for my WHFRP game.

The system is well worth it....provided you have the right people to buy into it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors

More
25 Jun 2013 20:23 - 25 Jun 2013 20:25 #155027 by Jason Lutes

scissors wrote: Hey... I was thinking about maybe getting sherlock Holmes consulting detective but I am not sure I should pull the trigger. anybody here enjoy it?

thx.

Never played Consulting Detective, but I've often considered purchasing it.

Fiasco I have played a lot of, and it is awesome. It's less of an RPG in the traditional sense, and more of a single-session storytelling game. Each player tries to work toward the best outcome for his or her character, but in the end you're all just trying to create a fun, entertaining story. There's a whole new generation of "story first" RPGs out there, about which you're probably already aware, but I mention in case you're going in blind.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2013 20:25 by Jason Lutes.

More
25 Jun 2013 20:47 #155032 by VonTush
Over the past week or so I went through the first two stories. I really enjoyed it and recommended it to my two sisters. It isn't a game though, it is an activity. Picture a chose your own adventure book, but instead of two options you have dozens of options and you have bits of information to make an educated guess where to go.

I don't have an urge to play it in a group since I like to slow play, spread the mystery out over a few days, think about what I've uncovered and really savor what is happening. But perhaps not sitting down and focusing thus over-analyzing or using other people's noodles is what caused my first two scores to be so low!

The major downside is that once you're done with a story, there is no replay value. Perhaps a few years down the line when memories have faded, but even then, there might be that little bit that you remember that prevents those "Ah Ha!" moments. And it looks sounds like translations of the expansions are still up in the air sadly.

More
25 Jun 2013 21:02 #155040 by Erik Twice
Fiasco is very, very good. Really accesible, you can just bring it with you, explain the rules in five minutes and roleplay for two or three hours. It won't give you deep characters, complex plots or anything like that but it's really great at what it does.

I wrote an article about it so I think I'll drop the link instead of repeating myself =P
eriktwicereviews.com/review-fiasco-aa/

More
25 Jun 2013 21:17 #155043 by DukeofChutney
I've played both Fiasco and Consulting Detective. I like both.

Fiasco is essentially a collective impromptu script/story telling game. THere isn't much 'game' in it in the sense of winning or beating something. Its really aimed at creating a story from a Coen Bros movie like Burn After Reading. The players have to act in a way that makes the story more interesting rather than just in the interests of their own characters. I had a problem in one game where some of the traditional rpg players tried to get the best outcome for their own characters and wanted to fight each other to get it. But thats my group being retards.

Consulting Detective is in my view, the best paragraph game. It does a really good job of creating Sherlock Holmes stories. It comes with 10 scenarios and unless you have a bad memory you will only play each mission once or twice. Once you know the answer, you know it. It does have a good resale/trade value though, so play it 10-20 times then either forget or trade it on. Some of the mysteries can be quite hard and seem a little obscure, but thats the nature of Sherlock stories.

More
26 Jun 2013 21:49 #155164 by Brewmiester
Everybody above covered the bases on Consulting Detective. I haven't been able to try Fiasco but the concept certainly sounds neat.

I did want to mention that Sleuth Publications also did Gumshoe if 1934 San Fran is more to your liking.

More
27 Jun 2013 15:35 - 27 Jun 2013 15:37 #155238 by jgriff
I have Gumshoe sitting on my shelf waiting to be played but the big issue for it is that is that it's meant to be played in sessions closely together. Mission 1 may not be solvable on Day 1 and you might be into Mission 4 before the clues needed to solve #1 come into play.

The big advantage of Consulting Detective is that the cases are self-contained. The newspaper archive grows as you play but the Case itself can be played without the prior case clues, unlike Gumshoe.

I love Consulting Detective but I feel like we get one case in and then it's 3 months later at the earliest before we get to play it again but honestly, that's all my games.

Also, Consulting Detective is in print and there are many more copies floating out there unlike Gumshoe which can be hard to find.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2013 15:37 by jgriff.

More
27 Jun 2013 15:55 #155243 by ThirstyMan
If you're going to WBC, I'd really like to play Gumshoe.

I will be running a few Fiasco sessions at some time over that week once I've got into the swing of things.

More
28 Jun 2013 02:22 #155327 by jay718
I've got Gumshoe as well and would be super stoked to play if I can find my way to Lancaster this year.

More
28 Jun 2013 10:26 #155337 by ThirstyMan

jay718 wrote: I've got Gumshoe as well and would be super stoked to play if I can find my way to Lancaster this year.

IF, IF, IF...........WTF??

More
28 Jun 2013 13:58 #155346 by jgriff
I'll bring Gumshoe.

More
28 Jun 2013 17:45 #155371 by Rliyen

scissors wrote: Hey... I was thinking about maybe getting sherlock Holmes consulting detective but I am not sure I should pull the trigger. anybody here enjoy it?

thx.

If you want to see the Fiasco game in action, Wil Wheaton did an episode for Table Top on it. I haven't gotten around to getting it, but will pick it up sometime soon.

Right now, my wife's been egging me to get Cards Against Humanity.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds