October 09, 2023
2509 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2707 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Canadian Readers Only Please

More
11 Apr 2014 21:28 - 11 Apr 2014 21:29 #175677 by Sagrilarus
No, I mean it. Canadians only.

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 11 Apr 2014 21:29 by Sagrilarus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2014 22:18 #175681 by OldHippy
This is going to sound weird from such a huge Crokinole fan as myself but I play on cheap boards most of the time. As in less than 50$ for a Crokinole board that comes with Checkers and Backgammon on the other side. It's what we called "cottage games" in Canada and they were cheap. The one I currently own is something like that, I got it at Canadian Tire (kind of like a Home Depot). My buddy has one from Mr. Crokinole that is great and another buddy has one that was home made and is pretty cool.

But honestly it's totally unnecessary. If you can find a cheap board I highly recommend it. I've been playing since I was 6 or so and unless you can get natural 20's more than a third of the time it really makes no difference. My bro and my buddy Noel (who we nick named CrokiNoel) can get 20's more than a third of the time on a shitty board... that tells you all you need to know. The nice boards are great but I just don't see the need unless you're performing jump shots over your own pieces to knock you opponents pieces off while leaving yours in the twenty hole. Seriously I've seen that done.

Unfortunately I don't know much about the designer boards but that's my two cents.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
11 Apr 2014 22:33 #175686 by Sagrilarus
Even crap boards are hard to find here. I'm seeing them on pressboard in thrift shops.

There's a store down this way that specializes in toys for men -- shuffleboard tables, pool tables, poker furniture, the lot. The four sales people were at the counter and I asked if they had a source for Crokinole. Three looked confused and the fourth, a woman who is Canadian said "no" with authority. She had been looking.

I'd like a wood board at $80 or so but I don't think such a thing exists.

More
11 Apr 2014 22:41 #175689 by OldHippy

Sagrilarus wrote: Even crap boards are hard to find here. I'm seeing them on pressboard in thrift shops.

There's a store down this way that specializes in toys for men -- shuffleboard tables, pool tables, poker furniture, the lot. The four sales people were at the counter and I asked if they had a source for Crokinole. Three looked confused and the fourth, a woman who is Canadian said "no" with authority. She had been looking.

I'd like a wood board at $80 or so but I don't think such a thing exists.

Shipping would suck, but I'll keep an eye out for you just in case. I know of a few places in Ontario (not so much in BC though) where they still sell them. If I can find one I'll PM you about it and we can go from there.

More
11 Apr 2014 22:45 #175690 by Sagrilarus
Thank you sir!

S.

More
06 May 2014 10:32 - 06 May 2014 10:32 #177501 by Sagrilarus
I got the opportunity to play on a Mayday board this past weekend, from the Kickstarter and "about $150" including the cover and shipping which is significant for something this size. It was very nice and didn't appear to have any manufacturing issues. The owner indicated that he had used a black sharpie to fill in a small strip on the outside of the gutter that appeared to have had its paint worn away during shipping. Can't get too up tight about that kind of thing though.

Really enjoyed playing.

S.
Last edit: 06 May 2014 10:32 by Sagrilarus.

More
06 May 2014 11:33 #177510 by SuperflyPete
As someone who has played on 5 different boards, I bought a Hilinski. Muzzies was a close second, and Mr. Crokinole was a hair lower. MayDay was dead last, but only because of the screws at the bottom that fucked my table up and the spots on the top of the board where screws protruded through. Fourth was a cheapie plywood board.

Honestly, if I could do it all over, I'd probably just make one out of 3/4" birch plywood. A Roto-Zip with a jig could make a perfect 30" circle, and some luan board for the outer rim.

More
06 May 2014 11:52 #177514 by Sagrilarus
The board my buddy got was $95 delivered, and if Mayday offers it at that price on a Kickstarter (or otherwise) again I'm going to go for it. I gave it a pretty hard lookover when I saw the Mayday name, but it looked very nice and it played beautifully. I gotta admit, this was a nice board and exactly the price I'm looking for.

I appreciate there's a risk in the purchase. But damn, that was a nice looking slice of wood.

Their website is showing $150 preorder for their 2014 boards.

S.

More
06 May 2014 13:09 #177526 by ubarose
I know you asks for Canadians only, but here is a link to a pdf that compares several different boards. It is a report by a club that was planning on purchasing several boards and is rather well done.

Crokinole Boards Comparison Review
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
06 May 2014 14:09 #177533 by Sagrilarus
My buddy's board is way nicer than the one in that review. Better pegs by far, better overall fit and finish. One thing he does point out is that the lines are painted onto the surface which could result in them wearing over time. But at 60% off that seems like a solid compromise.

It may be a matter of them finding their way over time on quality.

S.

More
06 May 2014 14:19 #177535 by Michael Barnes
"Canadians only"? This is extremely suspicious behavior. I'm just going to monitoring this thread to make sure there aren't any anti-American activities going on.

I'm also going to ask that Shellie start branding Canadian members' avatars with a maple leaf so that we can easily identify any possible troublemakers.

I would like to buy a good Crokinole board for $20.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, wadenels

More
06 May 2014 15:32 #177545 by Columbob

Michael Barnes wrote: I'm also going to ask that Shellie start branding Canadian members' avatars with a maple leaf so that we can easily identify any possible troublemakers.

I resent that. Brand me with a fleur-de-lys.

More
06 May 2014 15:59 #177549 by Black Barney

Michael Barnes wrote: "Canadians only"? This is extremely suspicious behavior. I'm just going to monitoring this thread to make sure there aren't any anti-American activities going on.

I'm also going to ask that Shellie start branding Canadian members' avatars with a maple leaf so that we can easily identify any possible troublemakers.

worse than Hitler.

but yeah, brand me with the Leaf, no trouble there.

There won't be an anti-American activities going on in a Canadians-only thread anyway. Anywhere else in the world, maybe, but not in a Canadians-only thread.

We will be discussing the Stanley Cup playoffs (c'mon Habs...c'mon Habs...) and apologizing for things we have no business apologizing for. Probably discussing American culture too since there's nothing else to talk aboot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

More
06 May 2014 17:38 #177560 by Michael Barnes
The "Stanley Cup" sounds like some kind of bedroom technique that Black Barney and Ken might practice...not a world championship. This is why the world does not recognize it as anything other than an oversized drinking vessel similar to a "Big Gulp" from 7-11.

Canadians, you will have a choice of brand out of fairness. You may choose the Maple Leaf, a cartoon moose or an image of Toronto mayor Rob Ford. Please PM me with your selection.

Additionally, we will be singling out certain members of the Canadian persuasion to answer a few questions such as "what is the deal with ketchup flavored potato chips?", "what are the right shoes to wear with a Canadian tuxedo?" and "where were you the night Ubarose's house caught fire?".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Columbob

More
06 May 2014 19:03 - 06 May 2014 19:04 #177567 by Pug
I used to do a chip exchange with a friend from Boston. I'd buy him 6 bags of Ketchup chips in exchange for Cool Ranch Doritos (they hadn't sold them in Quebec for several years). Ketchup chips are the bomb, although they've declined in popularity recently.

Now, back to watchings Habs game, Barney you watching?
Last edit: 06 May 2014 19:04 by Pug.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds