October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2653 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Themes in Games

More
12 Jun 2014 15:44 #180377 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re: Themes in Games

Michael Barnes wrote: Farrell is still the man, that guy is by far one of the best commentators about board games there's ever been.

Trashdome: Farrell vs Pulsipher
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2014 16:59 #180531 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: Themes in Games
I think that illustration of literary themes in games is very difficult. In a book or a movie there is typically a conflict and the outcome of that conflict is controlled by the author to illustrate the theme. A game where the outcome is always the same is considered broken. You can say, for example, that a game's theme is obsession, but that is only a fragment if a theme. I would ask, obsession is what? Good? Bad? Will destroy you? Will drive you to succeed? Let's say the theme is that obsession is good, then the player who plays in an obsessed way wins, right. So then all the players play in an obsessed way, but still only one wins. So then what really is the theme?

I contend that the literary theme of all games is that competition is won by the person or team that has the most skill and/or the best luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, VonTush

More
27 Jul 2014 07:57 #183091 by bomber
Replied by bomber on topic Re: Themes in Games

charlest wrote:

Gregarius wrote:

VonTush wrote:

Gregarius wrote: VonTush claimed that games cannot have a theme, like books or movies, because they are dynamic rather than static. I disagree. The rules are static. They may not produce exactly the same situation every game, but they have the same potential every time.

So, you're saying that the author is the source of the theme - Based on potential.
When means the question that charlest asks would have to be no that there wouldn't be theme unless the author intended it. Correct?

Actually, I was saying that the rules were the source of the theme. That's not the same as the author. I believe it is entirely possible that an author could be trying to make a game about the benefits of capitalism, but end up with a game about the corrupting influence of greed.

So, no, author intent is not the sole source of theme.

So if the theme could have been slapped on later or even be completely accidental without the designer/publisher realizing it...how is theme in this sense useful to us? What do we do with that? Isn't it meaningless? Is a message worth deciphering and studying if it could have been scrawled randomly?

no, no, no Charles

you're talking about the theme that's a level up from what Michael is trying to say, i.e. more like "setting". If you'd "rethemed" Tigris in a business world because, let's say the mechanics not only represent something fundamental in how civilisations rise, clash, split, merge, but that also applies to an area involving startup businesses or commercial idea, with companies rising, buying each other out, going bust, etc etc. Just because a designer might have got to the "core" of that but it's so fundamental that it applies to different "settings" shouldn't be seen as a negative.

The theme of Tigris is powerful because the mechanics derive from the theme, and it works in the setting it's in, but if it could be set in a corporate world, it wouldn't detract from the mechanics and theme if the theme fits another setting. It drives me mad when people just throw out "if you can paste any old theme on a game that shows the theme sucks and isn't useful". Actually it might just be that the underlying theme is more broad and whats actually "interchangeable" is a setting to fit on top of that. Whether some people enjoy specific settings and can base a dramatic narrative only from one of those is another question, and very subjective. But that doesnt mean that there cant be more than one "setting" (which is the word I'm using for what you say theme here) that "fits" a specific thematic trope (which is what Michael was trying to say). And as an aside, there's always the use of the theme to "hang together" the mechanics so that rules are less like pages of instructions to memorize and more like intuitive clues based on how you would think it "should" work.

More
05 Aug 2014 18:08 #184048 by bomber
Replied by bomber on topic Re: Themes in Games
also if we're talking about "The ME" in games, well, The Manhattan Project has a bomb card "The Swede" which is named after my wife, you'll also find me on Yellow #44 car in Thunder Alley, also in Agricola in the Pi deck the "Fertility Shrine" is me, the wife and our first kid, I also developed some of the ideas which later became the Carson City expansion, and later edited the rulebook. I also invented (and received a short ban hammer for) the BGG Cock Size.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds