October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Christmas List 2014

More
19 Aug 2014 15:26 #185381 by Sagrilarus
I've spent almost the entire year not looking at anything in particular for my wishlist, something that kind of needs a little something in it each year because at 50 years old there just isn't a whole lot else out there that I haven't landed already. So here's what I've come up with in the last month or so, games that already have hit the street and will be available for December in one way or another.

1775: Rebellion -- Got a shot at this at WBC and frikkin' loved it. Simple, fast, the kind of map-based action that manages to be a Dudes on a Map and a wargame simultaneously.

Special Ops 5: Battle of Bushy Run -- I've come close to buying this a couple of times but haven't pulled the trigger yet, partly because I know MMP is going to have a sale this coming November and I'll likely be able to pick it up for 25% off at their headquarters to avoid shipping. Seven Years War era chit-based game, small map, limited counter set, likely $22.50 on sale.

GMT Game to be named later -- I P500'd a game this year so I'll likely get a shot at a 50% off this Fall with their sale. Current thought is Fading Glory though I don't know who I'd play it with, especially since both games above creep into its space. Flying Colors is out of stock and likely will remain that way through December. I'd be interested in hearing options on this one.

S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2014 17:25 - 19 Aug 2014 19:44 #185405 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Re: Christmas List 2014
Sons of Anarchy: I love crime games, Spartacus and... well ain't that enough?!

Bestial Forces (Wiz-War): Continue my trend of buying expansions
Cosmic Dominion: see above
Clash of Cultures expansion: ditto

non-Bergian hex and counter game I'm open to suggestions.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2014 19:44 by Dr. Mabuse.

More
19 Aug 2014 17:42 #185408 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: Christmas List 2014
Hex and counter game: Clash of Giants.

I played it at WBC. The system is simple to learn. The random movement allowances for the armies provides for uncertainty and tension and it's about WW1 which is the hot hot theme of the year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
19 Aug 2014 18:03 #185410 by DukeofChutney
I tried to find a copy of Clash of Giants 2 a while back, but it has vanished this side of the pond.

More
19 Aug 2014 19:41 #185416 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic Re: Christmas List 2014
Wiz-War: Bestial Forces
Blood Bowl Team Manager: Foul Play
Super Dungeon Explore: Von Drakk Manor
Elder Sign: Unseen Forces (maybe)

and because I trust Barnes' reviews a whole lot - Sons of Anarchy: Men of Mayhem

Come on Santa! Get here already!

More
19 Aug 2014 21:03 #185419 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Re: Christmas List 2014
I want Steam, Richard III, Warhammer 40,000: Conquest, and El Grande.

(of course I still want the BoB: Ghost Panzer too...)

More
19 Aug 2014 21:06 #185420 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re: Christmas List 2014
Crokinole Board. I probably have to put in my order now to get a nice custom board by Christmas.

More
19 Aug 2014 21:38 - 19 Aug 2014 22:43 #185423 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Christmas List 2014
I hope I'm right, but I think I may be nearing that point where my game shelf is good to go. There is one title I want to add though and a few on the bubble.

Britannia: Over the past several years the games that have provided the most enjoyment to me have been games that have been around for almost 30 years. Titles like TITAN, A House Divided, and Columbia's Napoleon. Britannia has always been one that I've had my eye on, but fear that I couldn't get it played with as well as I'd like because I need 3 other dedicated people. I feel like I may have the folks available now and will likely look to finally pick this up. Looking forward to not just playing it but really diving in and experience the game over the long haul (as I've done with the others mentioned above.)

Games on the bubble:

Risk 2210: Every time I play it I feel like it puts all other big multiplayer DoaMs to shame. Easy to explain and play, a fun theme, and plenty of strategy. Just about the perfect DoaM. There's another copy in one of my groups so that's why there isn't one on my shelf. However, I think this'll go over well with my 'casual players' group so may get my own.

Liebe and Intrigue: I had this overlooked ERP title a few years ago, but sold it off like a fool. It was simple, but a lot of fun. I may look for a copy.

Talisman 2nd Ed - The Dungeon: I'm a 'main board only' kinda guy as I like my Talisman simple. However, as my daughter is getting older and starting to want to play more games with my son and I 'Are there girls in this?' is a phrase that comes up a lot. Unfortunately, the one knock against 2nd is the lack of female characters. Adding the Dungeon will bring my game to 5 options...still better than the paltry 3 I have now.

I also P500d a game (Manoeuvre: Distant Lands) and was thinking that I'd possibly look at getting Sekigahara if I were offered 50% off. Now, having played it I'm not so sure. I wouldn't pull it out over any of my columbia titles, so it would feel more like a novelty to have than anything I'd routinely want to play. I need dice combat!! Likely a pass, and it's doubtful I'll get anything from GMT's (possible) sale.

Sag, I like 1775 quite a bit, but for my dollar 1812 is the stronger title. Despite what some around here think, I feel the American Revolutionary War is a fascinating conflict, but ultimately Washington's War and Hold the Line didn't work for me. To me 1775 is a lot like Nexus Ops...fun, easy game to get into, plays great with 4 (what I usually have at the table), and like NO, I feel like half the strategy is missing. Make no mistake, I own 1775 and NO, but if it were up to me I'd always prefer to have 5 and play 1812 or Risk 2210 in their place. I don't mean to dissuade you, as they're both fine games, just making conversation here. I wrote a bit more at bgg:

boardgamegeek.com/thread/1141590/preferring-1812-over-1775

(for the record, my favorite ARW game of all time remains KOEI's Liberty or Death on the SNES)

Sevej, RIII is a fantastic game. Easily the most beautiful block game I've played and the one that causes the most anxiety for me to play. Combat is downright nasty. Great title.

EDIT: I forgot, I've got Fief 1429 coming in September...maybe. I'm cooling on it more and more, so it's possible I'll simply sell it in the shrink to fund some of the above.)
Last edit: 19 Aug 2014 22:43 by Mr. White.

More
19 Aug 2014 21:42 #185424 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re: Christmas List 2014
Jeff, I own Liebe and Intrigue, but I'm not going to sell it to you. However, we should play it.

More
19 Aug 2014 21:56 #185425 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re: Christmas List 2014
At this point I think all I'm chasing are expansions for WizWar and ships/planes for XWing and Wings of Glory. Any other game I'm after I'm just holding out for a trade. If I ask for a new game it'd be Cosmic.

More
19 Aug 2014 22:13 - 19 Aug 2014 22:58 #185427 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Re: Christmas List 2014
Britannia is a game that rewards repeated plays. The turn sequence and the entrance of new forces feel scripted at first, and certain strategies certainly are encouraged, but I've seen some pretty surprising things surface in the handful of times I've played it. Four players really are necessary to get the most out of it.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2014 22:58 by wadenels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
19 Aug 2014 22:53 #185429 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Christmas List 2014
I haven't seen 1812 in real life yet, and that had interested me prior to 1775. I'll have a look before deciding.

Crokinole's been on my list forever but I swear I'm going to drive to Canada to get one. Stupid expensive down in the States, and even Mayday is raising their prices.

C'mon people, GMT games. I need some solid recs.

S.

More
19 Aug 2014 22:53 #185430 by Mr. White

metalface13 wrote: Jeff, I own Liebe and Intrigue, but I'm not going to sell it to you. However, we should play it.

Before we do anything else, we're finishing our Blood Bowl league.

THIS I COMMAND!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

More
19 Aug 2014 22:58 - 19 Aug 2014 23:02 #185431 by Mr. White

Sagrilarus wrote: I haven't seen 1812 in real life yet, and that had interested me prior to 1775. I'll have a look before deciding.

I likely spoke out of turn. 1775 is definitely the better option if playing with casual folks as the sides are likely more balanced and playing any of the four factions is definitely more straight forward. Get 1775 as it'll get played ... a lot. If you want more get 1812.

For GMT how about:

Ivanhoe
Battleline
Wellington
Conquest of Paradise
Successors

People seem to like that combat commander and if I recall don't you play one of the command and colours games? Maybe an expansion?
Last edit: 19 Aug 2014 23:02 by Mr. White.

More
19 Aug 2014 23:05 #185432 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Christmas List 2014

Jeff White wrote: don't you play one of the command and colours games? Maybe an expansion?

I have it but it doesn't get played. A shame, as I like it better than the other C&C games. My one boy will play it with me occasionally.

Successors will never get played, but I get I'd like it. Conquest of Paradise I've looked at.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.744 seconds