October 09, 2023
2456 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2660 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Let's Talk...Spiel 2014

More
29 Sep 2014 14:47 #187840 by Michael Barnes
I dunno, biggest target? I like his classic work just fine and that was the look of D&D for many years. But that stuff is just so dated to me, really pretty tasteless. Not quite velvet Elvis level though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2014 15:52 - 29 Sep 2014 15:56 #187847 by Columbob

duckgoatwombat wrote: Expansions - looks like a strong showing to me
Robinson Crusoe: Voyage of the Beagle - Still waiting to get the base game played more.

Wasn't that released last Spiel?

Edit: Ah, I guess you mean the shiny new Z-Man english edition. Didn't know it was language restricted.
Last edit: 29 Sep 2014 15:56 by Columbob.

More
29 Sep 2014 15:57 #187849 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re: Let's Talk...Spiel 2014

Columbob wrote:

Robinson Crusoe: Voyage of the Beagle - Still waiting to get the base game played more.

I thought the base game was released last year. But maybe I am shady about that because I didn't get to play.

More
29 Sep 2014 16:10 #187851 by jur
Stuff that gives me a good feeling
15 DIas. My old time friend: el Conde-Duque de Olivares
1944: Race to the Rhine. Always been fascinated by the logistics of this campaign
Coup: Reformation.
First to Fight. will be interesting to see what they can make out of this
Gothic Invasion. great subject, plus multiplayer
Luchador! Mexican Wrestling Dice. Dice rolling, and looks good.
Mahardika. Fascinating to find a game about the Indonesian War of Liberation. As a Dutchman I'm used to watch it from the other perspective so I should learn a lot from this (maybe more about current perceptions of the war in Indonesia than what actually happened). But I'll be curious about their handling of British troops, Dutch internees in camps, Dutch atrocities, Moloccans etc

Marchia Orientalis. As a fan of the Holy Roman Empire (although I do not seek a return to it), this could be right up my alley

Mat Goceng. Interesting piece of Dutch/Indonesian colonial history from the Indonesian viewpoint
Mythotopia. Wallace's multiplayer version of A Few Acres of Snow
Raid and Trade. theme and minis promising
Samurai Spirit. The 7 samurai in game form, with a very postive review from SU&SD
Tragedy Looper. See Charlie Theel's review on 2D6
Wir sind das Volk!

Stuff that might be good, but perhaps not
€uro Crisis
Abraca... what?
Abyss
Airborne Commander
Athlas: Duel for Divinity
Conan: Hyborian Quests
Corto: The Secrets of Venice
Cyclades: Titans
Dixit: Daydreams
Empire Engine
Fantastiqa
Fief: France 1429
Fresh Fish
Greenland
Guatemala 1954
Hyperborea
Illegal
Lost Legacy
Memorable Stories
New Dawn
Night of the Grand Octopus
Onward to Venus
Patchistory
Pocket Imperium
Quartermaster General
Romans Go Home!
Stimmvieh
Swedish Parliament 2014
The Walled City: Londonderry & Borderlands
Tiny Epic Kingdoms
Unicum
Uruk II: Die Entwicklung Geht Weiter
Vérone

More
29 Sep 2014 18:09 - 29 Sep 2014 18:20 #187857 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Re: Let's Talk...Spiel 2014

Mahardika. Fascinating to find a game about the Indonesian War of Liberation. As a Dutchman I'm used to watch it from the other perspective so I should learn a lot from this (maybe more about current perceptions of the war in Indonesia than what actually happened). But I'll be curious about their handling of British troops, Dutch internees in camps, Dutch atrocities, Moloccans etc

Well, I had one of the developers explained it to me in the last local con. Didn't have the chance to try it, got my own games to lead.

Basically it's a Pandemic game, with some pretty interesting theme integration. Don't expect too much historical details or chronological accuracy. There are event cards that can happen randomly, before or after independence declaration.

It has all the good parts (I like Pandemic), but I'm not sure of the overall dynamics.

There's all sort of interesting things like how attacks are more intense on the western part of Indonesia, how the enemy attack gets furious when more Indonesian movements are made, and during the second phase of the game you can nominate any characters (all historical) to get some titles (president, vice president) that give special powers.
Last edit: 29 Sep 2014 18:20 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
29 Sep 2014 23:21 - 29 Sep 2014 23:23 #187866 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re: Let's Talk...Spiel 2014
So far the stuff that is interesting me:

Imperial Settlers
Mythotopia
Greenland
Onward to Venus
Progress: Evolution of Technology
Imperialism: Road to Domination
Historia
Clash of Cultures: Civilizations
Fire in the Lake
Fief: France 1429

Essentially, a few cool looking Wallace's, a few Civ games, and a cool wargame. Not much else has made a real spark. Hopefully, that will change after BGG.CON
Last edit: 29 Sep 2014 23:23 by Chapel.

More
30 Sep 2014 03:09 #187871 by jur

Sevej wrote: Well, I had one of the developers explained it to me in the last local con. Didn't have the chance to try it, got my own games to lead.

Basically it's a Pandemic game, with some pretty interesting theme integration. Don't expect too much historical details or chronological accuracy. There are event cards that can happen randomly, before or after independence declaration.

It has all the good parts (I like Pandemic), but I'm not sure of the overall dynamics.

There's all sort of interesting things like how attacks are more intense on the western part of Indonesia, how the enemy attack gets furious when more Indonesian movements are made, and during the second phase of the game you can nominate any characters (all historical) to get some titles (president, vice president) that give special powers.

Thanks for that. Doesn't put me off *at all*. I guess there's the game mechanics which could be interesting, but to me it's also interesting how my country gets dealt with being the bad guys. That should be refreshing.

More
30 Sep 2014 09:38 #187877 by Columbob

Jur wrote:

Columbob wrote:

I thought the base game was released last year. But maybe I am shady about that because I didn't get to play.

Game was released at Essen 2012, then more widely in 2013. Voyage of the Beagle Essen 2013, and soon to be released in English I suppose.

More
30 Sep 2014 12:16 #187887 by Colorcrayons
The only thing I'm hoping will be released at essen this year is Room 25: season 2. (A traitor mechanic game blatantly based on the movie, Cube.)

I'm not holding out much hope for BSG express... oops I mean Darkmoon to be released at essen. But then again all I want from that box is the dice so I can use them in in my copy of bsg express. Though as a playtester, there seems to be some significant changes which might make using the dice in bsg express impossible, which is all I can say about that.

More
01 Oct 2014 10:52 #187982 by ZMan
Replied by ZMan on topic Re: Let's Talk...Spiel 2014

Columbob wrote:

Edit: Ah, I guess you mean the shiny new Z-Man english edition. Didn't know it was language restricted.

We had advanced copies of Beagle at Gen Con. We should have some at Essen. The release date to distribution/retails should be November but maybe, late October.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds