October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

What makes a reprint successful?

More
21 Nov 2014 18:15 #191254 by Colorcrayons

Almalik wrote: And FFG is reprinting Mission:Red Planet? How is that going to be any different from the Nexus Ops reprint for them?

Thats a complex one, mostly because FFG is part of the ever expanding Asmodee Group now, who originally published the title.

My hope is that is simply gets a hard component upgrade by ditching the cubes in favor of something more thematically relevant (plastic astronauts) and keep basically everything else as it was originally.

It keeps production costs down by not having to throw out the baby with the bath water in generating an entirely new graphic design, which seems to be FFG's hallmark. It was a fine design to begin with. Though judging by the designers youtube remarks about it, there may be a few mechanical changes. This way people might upgrade to the new edition, yet still keep the thematic charm the original had. Avoiding the "Nexus Ops effect" of people avoiding the new title because they enjoy the old art aesthetic better. Whether you like the original art aesthetic of Mission: Red Planet or not, it could be argued that FFG has rarely printed a game with such subjectively odd aesthetic, barring Wiz-War.

FFG could use a few more titles like that, instead of following the usual formulae that makes so many of their games look similar even though they are entirely different games.

But I am biased towards the Franco-Trash creative art aesthetic anyways.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2014 18:23 #191255 by Almalik
Sorry, to clarify I meant more the "recent game that's good but ends up in clearance sales gets reprinted a few years after going out of print and gets sold at clearance prices again" effect, rather than any graphic design issues.

More
21 Nov 2014 18:32 #191256 by Colorcrayons

Jackwraith wrote: Would you be saying that no one can make a novel about wolves without ripping off Jack London?

Nope.

You missed the larger point I was trying to make, and that is GW refusing to acknowledge their inspiration, and thereby literally stealing the IP. Moorcock again.

Read a copy of 1st ed AD&D. The list of acknowledgements in the DM book for what inspired their game is long. This helped the sources a bit as some of those were my first exposure to them thanks to that acknowledgement page.

Enter GW, who refuses to admit their creativity is sourced from anything but themselves, likely under the advisement of GW legal. The problem isnt the business of GW directly, but of GW legal themselves. Bt GW hired them, so GW has to be culpable somehow for their employees. Read the case of ChapterHouse vs. Games Workshop. In it, you'll find the judge admonishing and censuring GW legal for some blatant and flagrant accusations. In laymans, to be censured in court of law is no small thing at all. And its small wonder why Chapterhouse came out ahead, even though the judge did rule in favor of GW on a few items. The attorneys who worked for Chapterhouse pro bono made a decent name for themselves, and helped put the kibosh on GW sending out C&D's to every tom dick and harry without the funds or legal know how to understand that not all of GW claims are based in fair defense, or reality at all.

My apologies for the continued off topic banter. I, or someone else, should start a new thread.

More
22 Nov 2014 06:47 #191271 by bomber
I'm amazed I've not seen a lot more discussion of this GW Chapter House case, it sounded like some common sense prevailed, but then just recently it seems not, and that Chapter House is in real trouble
natfka.blogspot.se/2014/10/games-workshop-vs-chapterhouse.html

I did find a neat article quoting some of the exchanges between GW legal and basically getting them to talk about whether they were claiming that GWs "inventions" like space marines, tanks, military units etc etc were 100% original or could perhaps be based on existing science fiction

they really are cunts, and I won't be sad when cheap home 3D printing and torrent sharing blatant ripoff copies of their models really kicks off.

More
22 Nov 2014 09:45 #191276 by DukeofChutney
I didn't know of this specific case but it is interesting, if a little sad. From what i can tell Chapter house were sailing pretty close to edge with their product range but GW still don't really have a right to claim originality or ownership over a great deal.

More
22 Nov 2014 11:17 #191280 by bomber
yeah, I don't think you could get more blatantly derivative of old sci fi and fantasy tropes than GW stuff, thats why I particularly liked on one of the sites i googled featuring the legal details of this case, some of the transcripts with the slimy lawyer types on just that subject.

More
22 Nov 2014 23:18 #191289 by Sevej
The funny thing about this Chapterhouse debacle is how other third party aftermarket parts vendors are untouched.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds