October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Warfighter: your impressions?

More
19 Dec 2014 22:58 - 19 Dec 2014 23:03 #193072 by Cranberries
I noticed after the Hooyah! discussion that Warfighter has some crazy high reviews over at Tos, like an 8.5. Then I realized that these were grognards whose idea of fun has been severely distorted over the years, and that they were probably just excited to see crappy plastic miniatures in a wargame that cost less than a hundred bucks and could be played solo.

What do you non-grognardian trashers think of it?

You can get the game with four expansions for only $129 at DVG.

Last edit: 19 Dec 2014 23:03 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2014 05:56 #193083 by repoman
1) I like wargames so you might consider me a grogard

2) I played once, no dumb bullet dice and the minis we used were Lego figurines. Even then the minis are not necessary.

3) I liked it a lot even though it's co-op.

4) it plays 5 or 6 but I think it suffers at higher player count. Keep it to 3 or less including solo.

5) It has it's roots in the a Leader series from DVG. So there is the loading out of your team portion which can take time. However it's only a foundation. The game is very different.

6) The reason I haven't bought it is the crazy expensive price. $50 or $60 maybe. Not twice that. And my friend that bought it felt the base game didn't have enough cards it it so the expansions were required. The old sell a half game up front and complete it with expansions. The kind of thing that sends Sag into a rage.

More
20 Dec 2014 09:18 #193085 by VonTush
Having some roots in the Leader series is a selling point for me. I really enjoy all the ones I've played so far, so I may have to look at this some more. Only $80 for everything (except the bullet dice) at CoolStuff.

Does the base game have enough to make it interesting and give a good feel for the game?

More
20 Dec 2014 10:49 - 20 Dec 2014 10:50 #193090 by charlest
My review will be up on Tuesday in my next article.

Also, you don't need the Bullet Dice expansion pack. Each smaller expansion comes with more bullet dice. You'll be drowning in 'em.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2014 10:50 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stoic

More
20 Dec 2014 11:49 #193093 by silverbowen
The graphic design makes my eyes bleed.

More
20 Dec 2014 17:22 #193105 by stoic

charlest wrote: My review will be up on Tuesday in my next article.

Also, you don't need the Bullet Dice expansion pack. Each smaller expansion comes with more bullet dice. You'll be drowning in 'em.

I'm looking forward to this review. The bullet dice look like a gimmick. At the price point for this game, it had better be damn good to justify its purchase price.

More
20 Dec 2014 19:45 #193108 by charlest

stoic wrote:

charlest wrote: My review will be up on Tuesday in my next article.

I'm looking forward to this review. The bullet dice look like a gimmick. At the price point for this game, it had better be damn good to justify its purchase price.

I actually don't mention the bullet dice in my review, but they are gimmicky. I use them because I like them, but most people switch them out for normal dice. The 6-siders roll pretty well but the 10's are a bit too rounded and don't settle very easily. Still useable, but not ideal.

More
29 Dec 2014 11:26 #193494 by stoic
This intrigued me enough so I went ahead and ordered it. It was only $56.99 from NWS. I look forward to posting some more about it after I've had a chance to play it.

More
14 Jan 2015 15:37 - 14 Jan 2015 15:54 #195136 by stoic
I had a chance to break open the box and play this game solo for two jungle drug lord scenarios. Warfighter is worth every penny. The rave positive reviews are on point and accurate. I'm not going to add much to the excellent written review already posted here on Fortress: AT.

fortressat.com/articles-boardgame-review...rfighter-dvgs-legacy

Warfighter quickly tricks you into feeling a closeness with your squad and a need to complete the mission to safeguard your fellow comrades in arms. You get to know the soldiers in "your" squad--they aren't just chits or plastic miniatures on a game board--they have names and pictures (based upon and submitted by real soldiers). Squad selection and gear load out decisions increase your investment in the mission and RPG elements creep into game play with legitimate character creation. The graphics/pics on the mission, objective, location, and hostile cards also immerse you into the Warfighter theme. Gameplay felt like I was watching an interactive movie--the game faded into the background while the mission proceeded.

DVG is going to make a fortune with this. They're already adding expansions. People who own the game are already discovering how easy it is to home brew custom scenarios. For example, one player has created a Vietnam War scenario using famous photos from that historical period--I foresee more!

One would think that DVG is already mining the history of warfare to create an endless stream of new scenarios for the Warfighter franchise. Adding to this system is easy: one can use public domain pics of famous wars, battles, soldiers, warcraft, and the weapons of war to retheme the game. I can also see adaptions of the game to other non-contemporary time periods; e.g., classical, medieval, napoleonic, WWI, WWII, etc. I can also easily see folks adapting fictional scenarios using this gaming system--how about Aliens or Star Wars?

Up Front? Never heard of it, Warfighter killed it.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2015 15:54 by stoic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Hex Sinister, vegasrobb

More
14 Jan 2015 18:57 #195158 by Sagrilarus
Wow. That's two reviews declaring it an unmitigated triumph. Sounds like I need to have a look.

More
14 Jan 2015 19:38 - 14 Jan 2015 19:43 #195161 by stoic

Sagrilarus wrote: Wow. That's two reviews declaring it an unmitigated triumph. Sounds like I need to have a look.

The gaming experience is unmitigated, but, there are a few minor pet peeves worth mentioning.

First, the included poster-print player mat sucks. It should have been a mounted board or printed on stiff cardboard. However, it isn't necessary for game play. You can do away with it using numeral markers/standups to show the sequentially numbered locations where you place location cards or by just remembering location order. The rest of the information on the player mat, such as the turn timer and play sequence, should have been recorded on card sized player-aids and included within the game decks.

Finally, I presently have all of the chits organized in two small cheap plastic organizers. I would have used a DVG chit tray, but, DVG's own chit tray accessory is too wide to fit in its own Warfighter base box. Furthermore, all of the base cards with the cards from expansions 1-3, barely fit in the base box with the chits organized as I have placed them. I'd like to sleeve the cards too, but, they wouldn't all fit in the base box if they were sleeved.

If more folks purchase this one, please let me know how you're organizing it all--I need some help--perhaps, a different way to organize the chits would solve my problem with the small base box? I doubt it though since DVG included a larger box in its upcoming expansion package, which is needed, I assume, to store the base game and future card expansions.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2015 19:43 by stoic.

More
14 Jan 2015 19:52 #195162 by Sagrilarus
I'll ziplock my chits and I don't sleeve cards, so those likely won't be showstoppers for me. $40 is a little salty for inexpensive parts but it appears the gameplay closes the deal. I'll make due with wargame-grade paper.

More
14 Jan 2015 20:02 - 14 Jan 2015 20:21 #195164 by stoic

Sagrilarus wrote: I'll ziplock my chits and I don't sleeve cards, so those likely won't be showstoppers for me. $40 is a little salty for inexpensive parts but it appears the gameplay closes the deal. I'll make due with wargame-grade paper.

I may try bagging my chits too and reorganizing. I just had handy two cheap plastic organizers from the dollar store that needed a use.

Yes, the player mat is wargame-grade paper, but, this game doesn't need one. After the first game or two, you likely won't use it.

I only sleeve because I find the card shuffling easier with sleeves because I suck at shuffling cards. This game doesn't necessarily need sleeves.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2015 20:21 by stoic.

More
14 Jan 2015 20:41 #195167 by BlackGoat
Haven't played this. I don't care for plastic minis, and I can't justify paying the price.

I don't get how people say this is an Up Front killer. Warfighter is a co-op game. Up Front is a two-player competitive game. I don't think any co-op game can be substitute for a competitive two player game.

More
14 Jan 2015 21:46 #195171 by charlest
People compare it to Up Front because it's squad based and builds a strong narrative. You have an attachment to your troops and the story that unfolds. That's powerful and stretches beyond the format.

I'm storing my chits in a small plano like case outside the game box. Cards are all bagged in their separate types inside the game box. Amidst the next expansions is a large footlocker box with card organizers inside. I'm not sure if the chits will fit in well or not.

I typically do my best of lists delayed by a year (i.e. I will my best of 2014 at the end of 2015) and it's a bit early, but Warfighter is right now my top release of 2014. This game is not good, it's fucking great.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.438 seconds