October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Explaining how to play TTR over the phone to non-gamers

More
20 Dec 2014 00:27 #193074 by ubarose
We got a phone call this evening from some friends who had just received a copy of Ticket to Ride for Chanukah. They just had one or two quick questions. We just happened to be sitting around the table playing games with our neighbor, who is like a total TTR freak, so we put speaker phone on, figuring she could answer a couple of questions while we continued our game. That didn't happen. Instead we ended up trying to explain the entire game over the phone. When we were done, my friend said, "So I put my train on my starting destination..." At that point we recommended that they try YouTube for a video tutorial.

Dang, it is hard to explain a game to people if it doesn't involve moving pieces around on a board.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, JEM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2014 00:31 #193075 by Michael Barnes
Ah, but there was a better way-

"Download TTR Pocket on your phone. Play the tutorial. Takes about three minutes."
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433

More
20 Dec 2014 00:58 #193076 by ubarose

Michael Barnes wrote: Ah, but there was a better way-

"Download TTR Pocket on your phone. Play the tutorial. Takes about three minutes."

We also told them about the app, but they weren't to keen on that idea. I think maybe they didn't want the kid to know that it existed.

More
20 Dec 2014 05:48 #193082 by ThirstyMan
There is a more old fashioned way of doing it.

Pick up the rule book and read it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, Msample, repoman, Erik Twice, Pugnax555

More
20 Dec 2014 06:00 #193084 by repoman
C'mon Thirsty. TTR had six pages of rules. Who's got time for that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, Sagrilarus, Erik Twice, stoic

More
20 Dec 2014 09:40 #193088 by Josh Look

repoman wrote: TTR had six pages of rules.

I don't think it has half that many.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
21 Dec 2014 00:51 #193119 by Dogmatix

Josh Look wrote:

And if you start with "half the game is basically playing Rummy", you have just summarized half of that...
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, fastbilly1

More
21 Dec 2014 05:30 #193123 by KingPut
My non-gaming Sister-In-Law on my wives side is having 32 of her relatives over this weekend for the holiday's. They decided to have a game night. My wive asked her if she wanted to borrow any of our games. I said "I think they'll be fine with the games they have like Twister, Apple to Apples and Pictionary". I have no problem with anyone borrowing my games but I didn't want to have to be explaining Card Against Humanity, Werewolf or Ticket to Ride to somebody over the phone.

More
21 Dec 2014 09:11 #193128 by jeb

Dogmatix wrote:

Josh Look wrote:

And if you start with "half the game is basically playing Rummy", you have just summarized half of that...

This is all I could think of--if they know how to play rummy, they know how to play TTR--it's just a really complicated running scorepad. Pick up cards, play melds, repeat. If they say "what's a meld," then show them COOTIE BUG or something because it's not going to happen.

More
21 Dec 2014 14:27 #193138 by ubarose
They did read the rules. They just couldn't wrap their heads around them. Unfortunately, they didn't just ask us to teach them the game. It started as a couple of questions, which means that we thought they understood the basic concept of the game and started by just answering the two questions. The first couple of questions were rather straight forward. One was when do you score. Our answer was that destinations score at the end of the game, but it is easiest if you score your routes during the game, like you do with Scrabble. Some where in that explanation, we realized that they didn't know the difference between a route and a destination. Two quick questions turned into several more. When they got to "Why are there grey spaces on the board, but no grey trains?" and "What are the numbers around the edge of the board?" we realized that our initial assumption was incorrect, and that our answers to their first two questions had kind of gone right over their heads.

I think that part of the problem is that the adults in the group each had their own preconceived notions about how the game played, based upon other board games that they had played. The were having trouble reconciling those notions with the actual rules they had read. So, for example, one of them seemed to have started with the idea that the game was a race to get your engine from a starting destination to an ending destination. Another thought it played like Scrabble, but was having trouble understanding that you didn't place something on the board and score every turn. The Rummy comparison just confused the issue, because you can draw cards and play a meld on your turn in Rummy, and you keep your melds in front of you, plus not everyone had played rummy.

It finally dawned on me that probably what had happened is the adults had quarreled about which of them had the correct notion of the game, and had called us in the hopes that we would declare one of them correct. We had gotten sucked into a whole other type of game, if you know what I mean, and questions were being asked to confirm that the asker was right, rather than to clarify the game rules. Our final ruling was that the eight year old, who had no preconceived notions about the game, was in the best position to figure out how to play the game and explain it to the adults.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
21 Dec 2014 15:27 #193140 by Gary Sax

ubarose wrote: I think that part of the problem is that the adults in the group each had their own preconceived notions about how the game played, based upon other board games that they had played. The were having trouble reconciling those notions with the actual rules they had read.

Yeah, this is so true. If you play a lot of games of different types, you learn to just sort of take the rules at face value. If you've only played a few games, you probably try to fit it into one of those archetypes.

More
21 Dec 2014 17:09 #193142 by Sagrilarus
Never tell someone Ticket to Ride is like Rummy. It's nothing like Rummy. Sure as hell that will confuse them.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
21 Dec 2014 17:17 #193143 by Dogmatix

Sagrilarus wrote: Never tell someone Ticket to Ride is like Rummy. It's nothing like Rummy. Sure as hell that will confuse them.

S.

Sorry. Jeb's right. It's Rummy with an overblown cribbage scoreboard. Basic TTR is "make make melds, score with trains." If that confuses them, they don't play cards. If they don't play cards, you shouldn't be playing anything but trivial pursuit, apples to apples, or scrabble.

More
21 Dec 2014 19:37 #193144 by ubarose
Well, I guess despite our flailing, we did an okay job. I just received a thank you message from our friends. They played TTR twice, and say that they are "hooked." They also invited us to check out a boardgame cafe that they just found out about. I'm now contemplating how long before I can introduce them to Arkham Horror ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, jeb

More
21 Dec 2014 19:49 #193145 by Sagrilarus

Dogmatix wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: Never tell someone Ticket to Ride is like Rummy. It's nothing like Rummy. Sure as hell that will confuse them.

S.

Sorry. Jeb's right. It's Rummy with an overblown cribbage scoreboard. Basic TTR is "make make melds, score with trains." If that confuses them, they don't play cards. If they don't play cards, you shouldn't be playing anything but trivial pursuit, apples to apples, or scrabble.

With all due respects, this is one of those bullshit things that people say to hit a game with an ugly stick. Sorry guys, there ain't jack in common between the games besides the use of suits, and they don't even implement suits in the same way. Oh -- you score points in both too, which I suppose means Ticket to Ride is the same as ice hockey. Matching cards together does not make two games "the same thing."

The biggest obstacle to Ticket to Ride's rules is that they give the appearance that you're sending trains from one place to another, when you're actually laying track. The pieces don't display that (I guess pieces that look like track weren't pretty enough), but that's what you're doing. The minute you get players to understand that they're creating a "line" (literally) that trains run on, not sending a single train across the country like in a race, everything becomes easy. That's the fundamental disconnect between Ticket to Ride's rules and Ticket to Ride's gameplay. Once you get players to understand that they're building a business it all gets much easier.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, JEM

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds