October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Lets talk about what to talk about

More
07 Jan 2015 08:32 #194369 by bomber
After reading some of the front page reviews recently, I came to the conclusion that I'm just not interested in that any more, I mean, they were well written and presented but its like I just dont care, is this just getting bored of the hobby, or not being so interested in new stuff (and conversely more interested in stuff I have) or just having been ground down by the incessant wank thats 99% of reviews, the "sales pitch" nonsense and the tone of "now I have illuminated you on whether you should buy it or not", anyway, I'm just off reviews in general, but don't worry I'm not slagging anyone off, or asking you to feel sorry for me, I'm just curious, what shit do I want to read about games, and thence this thread sprang forth. So you can also discuss what sort of stuff you like to read, what you would read more of, like to see less of, are sick of, or dont see enough of.

Session reports I'm only interested in as tutorial / learning aids, not much of that around anyway

I think I like after the fact reflection on games and how they've withstood the test of time, and discussions where games are discussed in context of a genre or historical chain or group, how design and mechanics have evolved and/or changed over time. Strategy and analysis is also good, but not so much that its attempting to reduce games to maths equations. Personal reflections on how you are into games compared to previous, musing on what you own and how you get the most out of it etc

Plus, just freeform arguing about stuff I own or know well, ie focussing on the negative aspects of stuff, then half the crowd turn up to defend it, or offer a counter or perhaps a bit more context. I think picking apart the flaws in stuff is more interesting by default, especially stuff you like, rather than have this nonsensical fanboy type unquestioning support of something. Liking stuff despite the flaws or the things you'd rather be different, is what makes your interest real and genuine somehow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2015 08:57 - 07 Jan 2015 09:07 #194376 by Mr. White
Yeah...it's tough.

I'm not too interested in new game reviews either, but that's no surprise. However, I assume we need current reviews to keep viewers coming to the site.

Naturally, I'd like to discuss older games, which is why I tend to stick more in the forums.

I would like to see more interviews with designers or investigation on those that seemed to have dropped off. (what happened to Richard Halliwell? What's Andy Chambers up to?)

I'm also interested in the history of some of the more niche areas of gaming that don't get much coverage. I know there was a big Railway Rivals PBeM scene in Europe in the 80's...what was that like? How about PBeM wargaming that used to go on...I've never done it, but used to see adds for it all the time in Dragon Magazine.

How about an article on the evolution of the C&C series? The rise and fall of Vampire The Masquerade (or whatever the LARP version was called) or the Mage Knight collectible minis game from the early 00s?

It seems there are a lot of interesting things to write and discuss, but probably take a bit more work than what we pay the writers around here.

But if it's new reviews that help keep the lights on...keep 'em coming.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2015 09:07 by Mr. White.

More
07 Jan 2015 10:35 #194386 by OldHippy
I'm mildly interested in reviews but I mostly try to avoid them. The main reason is that reviews (and the net side of the hobby in general) feed my capitalist impulses. If I read reviews that are at least half way positive I find that they create a desire in me. Suddenly I want something that previously my life was completely fine without. It strikes me as manipulative, obviously not on the part of the reviewer, that's on me. I manipulate myself into wanting shit I simply don't need. So I avoid them.

Trash talk is where I first came when I found this site, I immediately skipped the front page and started in with the forums. Where Weeks ripped me a new one (which I appreciate now). I am more interested in collective opinions and I get those here. My problem (if you can call it that) is that I like this site and the people who come here so I find that I get more out of the forums. I find them more fun, more playful, and that represents how I see games more than new game reviews on the front page. Also the forum gives me more to choose from. I can talk about my own likes and dislikes without derailing an article.

I agree with Jeff that more interviews would be cool, I also wish Sag would write more, his articles are outstanding. There's one on baseball specifically that might be my favorite boardgame article ever written. Design theory is kind of interesting but usually I have very little to contribute for fear of sounding even more ridiculously pretentious than my usual comments in Trash Talk which are already pretty bad to begin with.

My ego makes it tough for me to just be a passive viewer and trash talk demands participation so it simply suits me better.

Occasionally there is a review on something I'm interested in already, those situations are great and I'm thankful that people write these things for those situations. I don't envy them, it would be a lot of work that I would never do personally and it is an important part of the site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
07 Jan 2015 10:48 #194390 by Mr. White
JJ brings up a good point about reviews. Yeah, they can make one feel the need to buy another game...something I definitely don't need. In this regard BGG has become almost useless to me. The pace at which new games is thrown at me upon entering the site is overwhelming. Lately, I've been using it as a resource for trading, but I'm finding myself not even wanting to bother. I tire of being splashed with ads and new hotness.

There used to be a few interviews. I think Robert Martin did one or two (one with Derek Carver and the other with the guy who designed Quest of the DragonLords. This was _years_ ago. I really dug both, but I don't remember a lot of comments for either).

Barnes' interview of Jim Bailey is the high water mark for interviews as far as I'm concerned. It was fantastic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
07 Jan 2015 11:53 - 07 Jan 2015 11:58 #194396 by Cranberries
I like Sag's writing as well. There is enthusiasm, but it's grounded in some kind of historical context, whereas usually on BGG there's either some guy that loves the newest Euro that recombines older mechanisms or someone raving about some half-broken Ameritrash classic which is loads of fun if you play it with the right, completely drunk, group of friends.

I went over to ToS and did a search for recent games rated 8 or higher, which whips me into a frenzy for something like Dead of Winter, then I read a review over here where I discover its potentially tragic flaw:

"How badly these issues will affect you is dependent on your group. It's a game that very much demands to be approached a certain way, to be played as a shared experience rather than by the strict letter of the rules. Of everyone understands that, and can be trusted to uphold their end of the bargain, it works most of the time. " I want a game that is a-hole proof.

I get leery of games that require the right group to maintain narrative cohesion. I just want something that I can buy, pull out of the box, and have a finished game with polished rules that will generate some decent grade fun without too much coddling by the players.

Now that I don't visit BGG that often, my game lust has subsided. That place is a machine for breeding dissatisfaction with your collection, and this site generates dissatisfaction with the analytically paralyzed, soulless robots in your current gaming group.

Barnes' Jim Bailey interview appears to be off line now.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2015 11:58 by Cranberries.

More
07 Jan 2015 12:18 #194401 by san il defanso
2014 was the year when I basically abandoned new game reviews. I only wrote about a couple of new 2014 releases, probably no more than two or three. I won't pretend it was some kind of altruistic choice though. It was largely a product of moving, transitioning to a single household income, and getting acquainted with a new group. All of this happened in the second half of the year, when new releases came hot and heavy.

That said, I'm not sure I could have kept pace even if my circumstances remained the same. And if I could have, I doubt I could have sustained it for more than a couple of months without becoming entirely burnt out.

More
07 Jan 2015 12:32 #194402 by jeb
I am in the same boat for the most part. I have even stopped reading a lot of the boardgame TT threads. I just don't need any more games. My shelf is literally full, and for something new to come in, I would want it to replace something there. There honestly aren't a lot of games out there that I want anymore with this mindset. How good can the latest and greatest worker placement game be if it needs to knock out PUERTO RICO, ECLIPSE, AGRICOLA, LE HAVRE? Spatial manipulation games? Like my CALIFORNIA, ZOOLORETTO, and VEGAS SHOWDOWN? Ah, and adventure title! I love that shit! Except I have ARKHAM, ELDRITCH, MERCHANTS & MARAUDERS, ROBINSON CRUSOE. DoaM? RISK LEGACY, GAME OF THRONES, CHAOS IN THE OLD WORLD, NEXUS OPS.

That's why I like Secret Satan--it gets me something new I could never internally justify.

I like talking about what I am doing. I am doing HEARTHSTONE. I can talk that shit up. Doing fucktons of indie gaming on my Sony Vindieita. Lots of SMASH. I have piles of kids--I can talk about them. I am a bleeding heart liberal in a conservative wealthy town. I can chat that up. And I do! But boardgames, especially current ones, probably aren't going to make me turn my head.

More
07 Jan 2015 13:05 #194409 by Jackwraith
Speaking of which, jeb, we should get a couple games of HS in one of these days. I haven't played ranked at all in the new season because I've been testing out a couple decks in Casual (aggro(!) Warrior and a control Priest without Pyromancer (I'm using Recombobulator which might be too tricksy for its own good.)) Feel free to ping me the next time you see me on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
07 Jan 2015 13:15 - 07 Jan 2015 13:19 #194413 by bomber

craniac wrote:
Barnes' Jim Bailey interview appears to be off line now.

web.archive.org/web/20100721163404/http:...Grindhouse-Games.htm

I've really enjoyed reading a lot more stuff by Michael, Nate, Pete and Drake over the last years, I obviously need to dig out Sags stuff, as I agree that a strong historical appreciation of where games have come from and have gone is great to read when presented well. I do like Sag even though I am often a fucking twat to him (and others). The phrase colossal cunt is probably fair at times, but this is a fun place with an irreverant crowd that stay on the right line of what boardgames are supposed to be. Theres some good stuff and people on the other sites too, but here its stayed small enough to avoid all the fucking dick then bullshit stuff
Last edit: 07 Jan 2015 13:19 by bomber.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
07 Jan 2015 13:20 #194414 by Cranberries

That's why I like Secret Satan--it gets me something new I could never internally justify.

Someone sent me these really high quality, tiny cards from Japan that are used to play a game called Koi Koi. My daughter is in full Japanaphilia mode right now and teaching it to me. My grail game (off topic--sorry but not really) is some weird little game with a cool theme from Japan or somewhere off the boardgame radar that is totally fun and strange. I want to start a boardgame company that just releases fantastic little games, about fifty at a time, shrouded in mystery and obscurity. All I have to do is figure out how to write fantastic little games.

More
07 Jan 2015 13:34 #194418 by OldHippy
The following user(s) said Thank You: bomber

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds