October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Acquiring Classics/Reprints vs. The Cult of the New

More
26 Jan 2015 20:34 #196239 by stoic
Lately, I've found that I've mostly been acquiring reprints of classical games. In the last year, I've acquired Wiz-War, Nexus Ops, Power Grid, Ingenious, and Cosmic Encounter. I see a few more classics on the horizon too--I don't see this trend changing. Why? None of the classical designs have been a disappointment. None of the classics often praised here on Fortress:AT have ever proven to be a mistake, though I do prefer some to others.

Of the reprints that are upcoming, FFG's reprint of Tigris & Euphrates appears high on my wish list. And, I've only recently played it on IOS. I see that there's going to be a 2015 Big Box reprint of El Grande--it's on the list. Finding a copy of TITAN ranks high on my priorities too after my satisfying experience playing it against the AI's on IOS version. Finally, I'm keeping a close lookout for the availability of the Warriors of God reprint; and, I'm even pondering pre-ordering Warriors of Japan.

I'm definitely on a look-back trend, but, there are minor blips on that radar for a few new games that catch my interest; e.g., Pax Pamir.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2015 21:13 #196240 by Sevej
Strangely I'm on the same boat. I'm trying to get a copy of Survive & Nexus Ops (what I have is a PnP copy). Does Ticket to Ride counts as classic? Because I want to get that too.

Tigris & Euphrates and El Grande would have been much higher on my wishlist, but the restrictive player count makes them not so good choice for my gaming environment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
26 Jan 2015 21:27 #196241 by wadenels
The thing about going after those classics is that now we have hindsight. Like music, movies, books, etc., most of the crap is easily forgotten and only the real creme gets discussed with any reverence. So it's safer to go after those genuine classics as long as you stick to what interests you and don't go after somebody else's grail game(s).

New games are harder to pin down. I can think of a handful that I believe I'll still be playing in 10-20 years, but honestly I really have no idea what I'll have kept or sold by then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, stoic

More
26 Jan 2015 21:47 #196242 by iguanaDitty
Ingenious is a classic? I guess it's as much classic as Loco is, which I just don't like. Something about Knizia's completely abstract titles utterly bores me I guess.

More
26 Jan 2015 21:53 #196243 by stoic

Sevej wrote: Strangely I'm on the same boat. I'm trying to get a copy of Survive & Nexus Ops (what I have is a PnP copy). Does Ticket to Ride counts as classic? Because I want to get that too.

Tigris & Euphrates and El Grande would have been much higher on my wishlist, but the restrictive player count makes them not so good choice for my gaming environment.

I actually do think that the much maligned Ticket to Ride is a classic from a great game designer: Alan R. Moon. I'll always be up for a game of it. But, I do like the chaos that the Alvin & Dexter expansion offers to it (which reminds me that I need to paint those figures soon).

This is one of my favorite set of game designer notes from Alan R. Moon--I just love these stories!

boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/11076/my-four-years-avalon-hill

More
26 Jan 2015 22:08 #196245 by Shellhead
I have often badmouthed The Cult of the New, and there certainly are a lot of shitty new games being published these days, not even counting Kickstarter games. However, the games that I most want to acquire right now are relatively recent releases:

Sons of Anarchy
Robinson Crusoe
Firefly
Wiz-War (FFG edition)

This probably has a lot to do with my self-imposed restriction against buying any more games until my financial situation improves. I'm starting to think that I should instead just sell off part of my collection to afford the newer games. Maybe do that anyway, just to clear out some space and these games in the hands of people who will appreciate them more.

More
26 Jan 2015 22:33 #196246 by DukeofChutney
I might pick up wiz-war sooner or later. My old gaming group that i still sometimes attend has a copy but i tend to play with other people these days and it fits the bill of what i am looking for; easy to teach and silly fun.

Most of the really great games (and there are exceptions to this) are not based on insular game design fashion but shoot for something a little different, something that gives them a timeless quality rather than being a game of a certain era.

More
26 Jan 2015 22:34 #196247 by Sevej
Yeah, on the cult of the new front, I want RC or EH. I also was a day-one buyer for Descent 2nd Edition. And pretty early buyer for Conquest & Andor.

More
26 Jan 2015 23:50 #196248 by Colorcrayons
Back when I had a larger collection, I was on a big hunt for fairly old stuff, pre 2000.

Thunder road, forgotten bridge, shogun, etc.

I don't own any of them anymore and is the only minor regret I have over reducing collection size. Though I still do have a copy of the 1997 british waddingtons atlantis. The toy value of playing survive with that set is too cool to get rid of.

But I think I add and subtract just as many new titles as I do old titles. Both still hold a relevance to me as a consumer. Old titles beating out new titles for reasons that Wadenels mentioned.

More
26 Jan 2015 23:53 #196249 by Shellhead
The flip side of my current interest in certain new games is that I generally have the classics that I want. Some of the classics were over-rated, and are frankly difficult to get on the table anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
27 Jan 2015 00:14 #196252 by jeb
Yeah, I have the classics I want as well. Only DUNE is still a Want of pre-90's stuff. I even had it at one point, but traded it to Loter when REX was due. REX is fine, but it's not DUNE. Theme does matter! I know what the Harkonnens are up to just by them being Harkonnen. What the fuck do I know about Lion guy or Turtle guy?

QUEEN'S GAMBIT would be nice. Never going to happen.

For new stuff, I am just expanding ELDRITCH HORROR and ROBINSON CRUSOE. I will probably get CLASH OF CULTURES (with expansion? you tell me). WIZ-WAR too, but I am in no hurry. I also someone decides to bow out of NETRUNNER and send me all the LCG stuff cheap.

I can't believe TITAN has become hard to find! That Valley Games one was dumpster juice, everyone was hating on it for ages it seemed. I think it was $15 on Tanga or something. Looks like it's back around $50. Crazy. I was a "backer" for that one and love it to bits. I am in two ACTS games right now--that's worth tracking down. In the meantime, read these old The General articles:

ia902701.us.archive.org/12/items/General...eVol20i2/Vol20i2.pdf

More
27 Jan 2015 01:23 #196253 by Colorcrayons
I forgot about dune, even though I have a box with all the Ilya materials printed out waiting to be cut. Probably forgot since I don't know enough people locally to devote the time to it, so it never got finished.

I generally don't like long games (over 3 hours), but I'll make an exception for dune.

More
27 Jan 2015 07:29 #196261 by wadenels
Aren't you in the Twin Cities, Crayons? I'm up for Dune. Probably my wife too. I dig longer games.

More
27 Jan 2015 07:51 #196262 by Legomancer
I will jump on the El Grande reprint, but in general I'm really not looking to buy much of anything, new or old.

More
27 Jan 2015 08:06 #196263 by Bull Nakano
The only classics I'm looking for are Manilla and Thebes, but I fully agree with this thread's sentiment. I'm usually about 8-24 months behind the curve as far as buying games. Sometimes I'll grab something that's brand new, it's fun to be in that group that gets to discover the game first, but I'm way more inclined to do this with a cheaper game. I don't have $40 to spend on a dud.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.330 seconds