October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

What games have gotten better over the years?

More
04 Jul 2015 08:33 #205378 by wadenels
What games have you found have gotten better over the years through expansions, rules updates, or just by revisiting them and realizing something about them that you didn't appreciate the first few times around?

For me:

Castle Panic: The base game was pretty basic. Really a family cooperative game that little kids can play too. It always succeeded at that. Now with the addition of the Wizard's Tower and the Dark Titan expansions it's a properly difficult and interesting game. Funnily thematic too. I don't know that I'd recommend rushing out to get it with the two expansions, but I'm glad I've kept up with it. I would have sold the base game long before the expansions came out if my wife didn't like it so much, so she gets to say she was right on this one.

Red November: I sold and rebought this game. The first half-dozen or so plays most of my gaming crowd were economic or dry euro style players, and I decided Red November was just too random and unbalanced. Then I missed playing it and got the newer edition. This game is fun. There's almost no planning ahead, all hell's breaking loose, and it's always a good time. It has good cooperative game design elements that I always liked, but I realize now still haven't been utilized well since.

Micro Mutants: I sold this because I couldn't get anyone else to play it. Always viewed as more of a toy than a game, I decided there's absolutely nothing wrong with that and rebought this one too. I would like to play it more, because when we do it's a blast. This game never disappoints with a good trash-talking table of friends. Selling this and Red November was due to the crowd I gamed with at the time; since then I've discovered two things: some new gaming buddies and that I'm selfish enough to keep the games that I enjoy most.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2015 10:51 #205380 by VonTush
Through the Desert: I have sold/traded and rebought a few times. The game goes through this cycle with me where I'll play and it usually underwhelms the group, it just doesn't inspire or excite them. Which is what spurs the "Well, I'm not going to play this again, time to trade". And then the regret builds thinking about how these newer games keep bolting on more to add weight to their decision points and I keep thinking that those decision points aren't any harder or more important than TtD which does it with a lot less overhead and hassle.

More
04 Jul 2015 12:22 #205381 by Gary Sax
Twilight Struggle never really stops giving back as you get better at it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
04 Jul 2015 13:45 - 04 Jul 2015 14:09 #205383 by Jexik
Coup: It's weird to say "the years" when I'm just talking about two or so years, but the more I play it the more I like it. It's fun when people know each other's tendencies but still tend to lie more and call people out on stuff. I don't own it, but I am going to get G54 with the 25 different roles. I'm curious to see if that's a lot more fun or if it will be missing something without the interconnectedness of the roles. (The main rule change is that there is no Assassin-Contessa or Ambassador-Captain kind of relationship: the only way to block an action is to have the same role or challenge it. Also there's no longer a Foreign Aid action).
Last edit: 04 Jul 2015 14:09 by Jexik.

More
05 Jul 2015 20:51 #205429 by Sevej
Any Commands & Colors for me. Just played BattleLore again after over a year hiatus, and it's good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motorik

More
05 Jul 2015 21:23 #205432 by Motorik
I feel that. I'll pretty much play any C&C game, anywhere, anytime. I wish I'd KS'ed the new WWI one, guess I'll just have to snag a copy the conventional way.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds