October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2646 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Top 5 FFG Silverline Games

More
25 Sep 2015 08:12 #211297 by Mr. White
Wade - I'm also a fan of Chaos Marauders. I don't get to play this one enough, but maybe I can change that soon. Anyway, I'm ok with the new FFG art, but am glad they have kept nods to the original with the John Blanche art on the thin mats, plus that second book - with using the original game's cover art - that has all the fluff. It was a nice thing to do for such a light, silly game. Overall, it really is a great little package.

I had to sleeve the role cards in Citadels because they wore fast. I'm considering sleeving my new Condottiere. Do Citadels or Condottiere fit back in the box if all the cards are sleeved?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2015 08:42 #211302 by Legomancer
Citadels (everyone I play with dislikes it or is burned out on it but I'll always love it)

Cave Troll

Death Angel

Condottiere

Colossal Arena

More
25 Sep 2015 08:57 - 25 Sep 2015 09:05 #211304 by Mr. White
Never played Cave Troll and didn't realize it was also getting a new upgrade to go along with Drakon.

www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/3/27/cave-troll/

Several have listed Cave Troll as a top 5 Silver Line game here, but is it a good game beyond just the Silver Line? Is it worth a look?

To be honest, y'all, I'm tiring of Dungeon! and wondering if Drakon or Cave Troll would be a better fit for a light game with a dungeon theme.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2015 09:05 by Mr. White.

More
25 Sep 2015 09:02 #211305 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Top 5 FFG Silverline Games

Mr. White wrote: I had to sleeve the role cards in Citadels because they wore fast. I'm considering sleeving my new Condottiere. Do Citadels or Condottiere fit back in the box if all the cards are sleeved?

Yep, but the insert probably won't.

More
25 Sep 2015 09:10 - 25 Sep 2015 09:12 #211306 by Shellhead
I haven't played most of the Silverline games, but Citadels is moderately fun and Death Angel is one of my top five favorite games. There is an amazing amount of replay value in the Death Angel base set, and the expansions multiply that replay value. Both the Tyranid expansion and the Mission Pack expansion are worth every penny. The Space Marine expansion is a bit pricy for what you get, but what you get is two more Space Marine pairs to mix and match with the base set. The one with the rocket launcher is particularly fun. However the Deathwing expansion pack is a disappointment. It's an alternative team of Space Marines, but half of the guys suck, and most of them only work properly if you steadily feed them of tokens. But if you find the base game isn't challenging enough, then running the Deathwing guys is a bracing change of pace.

EDIT: Apparently FFG picked up Through the Desert and put that in the Silverline product group. Through the Desert sucks. It is a light and boring game that runs just a little long to work as a filler. If you paid more than $10 for Through the Desert, you have been ripped off.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2015 09:12 by Shellhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Mr. White

More
25 Sep 2015 10:00 #211309 by Mr. White
Sounds like I need to get the Tyranid and Mission Pack expansions.

Looking over all the lists, it appears that Citadels, Condottiere, and Colossal Arena appear the most frequently. I can see that. Like I've said, these games get a lot of play. I've considered buying extra copies to have around in the case that I wear through one and they are oop. Maybe I'll just sleeve them all up instead. I don't want to buy one of these for $50+ some years from now...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
25 Sep 2015 10:14 #211313 by ChristopherMD
Like:
LotR: Confrontation - Not a silver line game, but should be.
Through the Desert
Colossal Arena

Neutral:
Condottiere
Space Hulk

Hate:
Citadels
Lord of the Rings

More
25 Sep 2015 10:17 #211314 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Top 5 FFG Silverline Games
The one complaint I have w/Collossal Arena/Titan the Arena is that it is very hard to recover from losing early bets when those creatures die. Basically, your VP total can only go down. GALAXY, THE DARK AGES ( from GMT ) fixes this problem by changing the theme to space conflict and having ships( creatures ) have the ability to promote bases ( bets ) to higher levels. Worth checking out if you dig Collosal Arena. Its OOP, but not very expensive at all.

More
25 Sep 2015 10:40 #211318 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Top 5 FFG Silverline Games

Mr. White wrote: Never played Cave Troll and didn't realize it was also getting a new upgrade to go along with Drakon.

Several have listed Cave Troll as a top 5 Silver Line game here, but is it a good game beyond just the Silver Line? Is it worth a look?

To be honest, y'all, I'm tiring of Dungeon! and wondering if Drakon or Cave Troll would be a better fit for a light game with a dungeon theme.

Cave Troll is more of a area control game. You are trying to have the most units in certain rooms when scoring takes place. It takes place in a dungeon and there are monsters and heroes, but it could take place anywhere, I don't think it will give you a dungeon crawl experience. You might like Drakon better.

More
08 Oct 2015 09:17 #212143 by Mr. White
For being OOP, Infiltration still looks very affordable.

I had heard this was sort of a card based DungeonQuest. Sounds like a good idea. Bad execution?

More
08 Oct 2015 11:50 - 08 Oct 2015 12:00 #212155 by sornars
Replied by sornars on topic Top 5 FFG Silverline Games
I think the execution of Infiltration was brilliant. I haven't played DungeonQuest so I can't compare.

I think this one flopped because people saw Donald X. Vaccarino and were disappointed that instead of a mathy-thinky game like Dominion they got a much more random/push your luck one.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2015 12:00 by sornars.

More
08 Oct 2015 11:55 #212156 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Top 5 FFG Silverline Games
I haven't played that many of these. Including some ones I have heard good things about like KGB vs CIA and CONDOTTIERE. If I was going to recommend games to people I would say:

SPACE HULK: DEATH ANGEL -- An amazing amount of game in that box.
ELDER SIGN -- On iOS ;)
PENNY ARCADE: THE CARD GAME -- Totally fun and awesome for fans of the strip.
CITADELS -- Nice intro game for folks.

Fair to middling for me:
LORD OF THE RINGS
MAG-BLAST
RED NOVEMBER

Actively loathed:
AYE DARK OVERLORD

More
08 Oct 2015 12:17 #212160 by SuperflyPete

Mr. White wrote: Never played Cave Troll and didn't realize it was also getting a new upgrade to go along with Drakon.

I adore Cave Troll. It's one of the few games on my Forever Shelf. It's a wickedly fun area control game with some luck but a lot more spatial positioning. I can't believe I didn't review it....now I know what the next review will be. I'd rate it a solid 8.

More
08 Oct 2015 12:21 #212161 by SuperflyPete
I never responded...

1. Red November. I absolutely love this game. Love. Love. Love. It's been in constant rotation here since it came out.
2. Citadels. See Red November. I even pimped it with fake gold coins.
3. Drakon. Love this one too. Random, dumb fun. Poor Man's Dungeonquest, maybe, sort of. Don't like as much as aforementioned.
4. Cave Troll. Epic. I'm a huge fan of area control and this is a quick, fast playing one. Setting is irrelevant, essentially, and I'd like it better if it was a space game or something.
5. I don't know any other Silver Line games, to be honest.

More
08 Oct 2015 12:26 #212162 by hotseatgames
I only played Infiltration twice, but I think that game is cool. I felt more in control than when I play DungeonQuest, but frankly I don't like DungeonQuest. Which is weird since on paper it's right up my alley.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds