October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Ten of your games you WANT to play this year

More
08 Jan 2016 11:58 #219357 by Ska_baron
Didn't think I had even close to 10, but just shows that I'm dying to game more. One of my 2016 focuses!

1. TI3 (it's just my favorite, but makes getting other big games to the table hard because I ask, "If I'm getting these folks together, why not play TI3?")
2. Star Wars Risk (new, also my fav scene from any SW)
3. Risk Legacy (5 games in started 2 years ago, need to get back on it but TI3 is competition)
4. BSG (TI3 competition)
5. Hoity Toity (played tons long ago on Spiel by Web so very stoked to have a physical copy now from xmas)
6. Mutant Chronicles SotC (long owned now but never tried due to needing/wanting 5, it's a campaign and then being TI3/Risk Legacy competition)
7. Dead of Winter (only played a handful of times, TI3 competition)
8. Core Worlds with Galactic Orders (have yet to break in the expansion)
9. Wallenstein (played on SbW again but havent had the right crew to break it in)
10. Firefly (had for a while, but unplayed due to only want to run with 2 ppl and need that right other player)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2016 01:51 #219438 by Da Bid Dabid

Ska_baron wrote: 1. TI3 (it's just my favorite, but makes getting other big games to the table hard because I ask, "If I'm getting these folks together, why not play TI3?")

This really is the curse of TI for my group as well (although it could be true of any well loved large/epic game). Its very hard to overcome.

More
10 Jan 2016 18:21 #219524 by trif
A bit more than ten and in no particular order:

Black Gold - or Giganten in another life. Bought cheap in one of FFG's markdowns and looks like an interesting game. I'm a sucker for economic games.

Chaos in the Old World - Had this for ages and haven't played it. Ridiculous.

Reef Encounter - Had this for ages and haven't played it. No so ridiculous, this being the poster child for shelf toads. I have played it online and quite liked it, so I want to play if for reals.

Elasund - I picked this up in the very first maths trade I participated in and STILL haven't played it.

War of Honor - multiplayer L5R - though I seem to be the only one in my group excited by the prospect.

Kill Shakespeare - Notoriously awful rules, fixed up by the appalled designers (with a lot of help from another BGG contributor.) Looks like an interesting approach to euroising an epic fantasy game.

Showmanager - As I've had some involvement in the theatre, I've been anxious to play this

Republic of Rome - the Valley Games reprint. I had the AH version and prodded at it once, but really want to get through a full game. It's also a period my wife is interested in, but she'll probably find it too fiddly.

Doomtown Reloaded - This is just a matter of coordinating after work with a couple of friends. That being said, we've been trying to get this happening for a few months.

Dicemaster: Cities of Doom - Oddity from ICE that I was eventually able to track down all the parts to - found some dice cheap, then discovered they were attached to this game and I needed two starter sets. Took me a couple of years to get together and I've now got someone interested in playing it.

Tower of Babel - As a Knizia Kultist it's appalling that I've never played this.

Starcraft - bought for a song last year, partially punched. Want to find out what all the fuss is about (and it may save me from desiring Forbidden Stars.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
10 Jan 2016 20:06 #219530 by Sevej
Steam
Runewars
Descent
Agricola
BattleLore

More
11 Jan 2016 11:27 - 11 Jan 2016 11:28 #219596 by jpat
As I contemplate picking up a used big-box LotR with two expansions (to functionally replace my Silver Line version) and Dominant Species from a guy who's moving, am waiting for Talon to arrive from GMT, am contemplating my Cthulhu Wars pledge (still!), and waiting for a few Kickstarters (Mare Nostrum: Empires, Conan), I swear I'm done with new stuff this year.

That's mostly true. I'm really hoping and intending to stick to things that I haven't played or played enough or that others have and want to play.

High on the list, in no particular order:
War of the Ring: The unpainted 2e minis plus my vision impairment made either painting bases or getting the Anniversary Edition seem like good ideas.
Commands and Colors Napoleonics: I'm assuming 2016 won't be the year we see the "epic" expansion, but pretty please?
Star Wars Armada: I've liked the early attempts, but I've done so little with this.
Sails of Glory: By comparison, I've done nothing with this other than get a replacement for a broken ship.
Mansions of Madness: A Father's Day gift (plus Call of the Wild) that I've looked for the right time, place, player count, and errata to play. Need to rectify that.
Star Trek Fleet Captains: Another one that's been languishing without any full plays. This one, at least, I know how to play.
Triumph and Tragedy: Really probably needs three, and people say they're interested but it never quite pans out.
Space Empires 4x expanded: I think I can find someone--he's an engineer so he'll probably dig the spreadsheet.
Clash of Cultures with Civilizations: I've played the base game about three times. The last time -- I shit you not, a seven-hour 4p game wracked with AP -- was about enough to do me in, but I shall persevere.
Space Hulk: This probably deserves its own story, but suffice to say that I have two (or almost two copies, one with some broken minis) but am waiting for my wife to finish painting -- she wanted to, I swear, and means well but has some persistence issues along with some health challenges -- so it's never been played. And of course now there's a 2016 printing coming, not that that really matters to me. (I'd really be OK with just assembled-and-unpainted minis, but she wants to finish.)
Imperial Assault or Descent 2e: Mostly agnostic on the choice. I've played the latter a couple of times but have yet to play the former. Getting people, even a couple, together consistently is a challenge.

I also just need to get rid of some stuff. My enthusiasm for the new and/or different has waned quite a bit, thankfully.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 11:28 by jpat.

More
11 Jan 2016 11:45 #219602 by Gary Sax
Yeah, a 7 hour Clash of Cultures game would definitely get me to give it the sweep off the table without putting it away treatment. And it's probably my favorite game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
11 Jan 2016 17:51 #219687 by jpat

Gary Sax wrote: Yeah, a 7 hour Clash of Cultures game would definitely get me to give it the sweep off the table without putting it away treatment. And it's probably my favorite game.

Not to derail, but they're decent to good friends, but they do take a while for sure. One of the fellows is an engineer and has an optimization mind-set. He wins pretty much every time, everything we play, and I'm a little envious of that, but a balance must be struck. Me, I could take all that time and still fail horribly.

More
11 Jan 2016 18:06 #219689 by cdennett

jpat wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: Yeah, a 7 hour Clash of Cultures game would definitely get me to give it the sweep off the table without putting it away treatment. And it's probably my favorite game.

Not to derail, but they're decent to good friends, but they do take a while for sure. One of the fellows is an engineer and has an optimization mind-set. He wins pretty much every time, everything we play, and I'm a little envious of that, but a balance must be struck. Me, I could take all that time and still fail horribly.

This is my whole group, including myself to some extent. We take any game's playtime and double it to get a good estimation. I envy you guys with your under 2 hour games...

But I do win a lot.

More
12 Jan 2016 12:34 - 12 Jan 2016 12:41 #219774 by Cranberries

Space Hulk: This probably deserves its own story, but suffice to say that I have two (or almost two copies, one with some broken minis) but am waiting for my wife to finish painting -- she wanted to, I swear, and means well but has some persistence issues along with some health challenges -- so it's never been played. And of course now there's a 2016 printing coming, not that that really matters to me. (I'd really be OK with just assembled-and-unpainted minis, but she wants to finish.)

I would like to buy a copy without the minis and replace them with something slightly smaller, that fit the space better. The miniatures look great, they just seem to barely fit. Will I ever do this? No, I will not.

Last edit: 12 Jan 2016 12:41 by Cranberries.

More
12 Jan 2016 13:02 #219778 by derekjinx
Myth with the fixes and updated rules
Cave Evil
Emergence Event
Fire Team Zero - it's on its way to me ---
continue my Imperial Assault campaign
Galaxy Defenders campaign solo or with friends
continue my Memoir '44 campaign
Mage Knight with Shades of Telza fixed pack - it's on it's way to me ---
Kingdom Death: Monster
Zpocalypse

More
12 Jan 2016 13:11 #219781 by Ska_baron

Da Bid Dabid wrote:

Ska_baron wrote: 1. TI3 (it's just my favorite, but makes getting other big games to the table hard because I ask, "If I'm getting these folks together, why not play TI3?")

This really is the curse of TI for my group as well (although it could be true of any well loved large/epic game). Its very hard to overcome.

Amen - really the only cure is to convene so often that you can say "Let's play Risk Legacy a few times tonight, because we played TI3 last month and can play it again next week." However, I live in reality (currently).

More
13 Jan 2016 21:38 #219885 by Cranberries

DukeofChutney wrote: In no particular order

Pax Pamir - wnat a four player game really.
Empire of the Sun - played this a few times but its a game i really want to learn at a more indepth level
EastFront - got this recently and want some block action
War of the Ring - only played this twice last year
Dune - long time no play
Car Wars - From secret satan and I want to try it out

I just read a comment that playing Pax Pamir is the closest you can get to playing Dune as a card game. Now I want someone to mod it and release the files so it's Dune-themed. I'm still pretty fond of the existing theme after having lived in the Middle East, something I cannot quit bringing up ad nauseum.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds