October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

T.I.M.E. Stories for couples?

More
25 Mar 2016 01:40 #224842 by cdennett
So now that The Wife and I have finished Pandemic Legacy, I'm starting to look for the next "couple's game" to move on to. Ideally we'd actually play our copy of Consulting Detective that's been gathering dust for a year, but we tend to play in the evening and she only has a limited attention span and focus. In the narrative co-op realm, T.I.M.E Stories seems like the closest things to P:L, but I don't get a good sense as to whether it actually plays well with 2. I'm not 100% sure I'd really enjoy it all that much myself, but I'd probably risk it if I thought it she might.

I know there are some evangelizers on this site, and I've seen my share of negative reviews, but I'm not looking to sold on it or pushed away. Just want to know if anyone has played the game with 2 and hear what they thought. Also, since we probably put aside maybe an hour and a half for gaming, how hard is it to come back to after a few days when you just play a few rounds before putting it away? I've heard you may want to take notes...

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2016 08:51 #224851 by charlest
With two players you each run two characters I believe. From what I hear this makes for a not too great experience as it breaks the immersion (which is one of the key strong points of the game for me).

You would want to take notes I think if you put it away and came back. The game has an insert for storing between sessions which helps you track game state though.

We just played the third scenario (A Prophecy Of Dragons) on Wednesday and have no finished each of them in about 3 hours, with this last one being the longest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cdennett

More
25 Mar 2016 10:59 #224858 by jay718
A prophecy of dragons seems to have quite a bit of negative feedback on BGG stemming mainly from translation issues. How do you think it stands up to the other scenarios? I've played the first two scenarios with the same group of folks and we've had a blast both times. I'm quite looking forward to this one.

More
25 Mar 2016 11:07 #224859 by jay718
Also, regarding the OP, I think this game would be fine with two players taking two characters each. We didn't find the 'role play' aspect of this to be as deep or immersive as I'd been led to believe from the little I'd read before we played. To be fair though, two of the people in the group are pretty serious role players.

Regarding putting the game away and coming back to it, I think it would be fine for a couple of days, but any more than that I think you'd want to just go ahead and start over assuming you weren't very close to the end in which case I'd recommend just powering through.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cdennett

More
25 Mar 2016 11:56 #224861 by charlest

jay718 wrote: A prophecy of dragons seems to have quite a bit of negative feedback on BGG stemming mainly from translation issues. How do you think it stands up to the other scenarios? I've played the first two scenarios with the same group of folks and we've had a blast both times. I'm quite looking forward to this one.

I wrote up my review yesterday and I ended up landing on the game is still awesome, but this one does have some issues and is not as interesting as the other two. Most of the issues in my opinion are because they try to reduce the rules down to the cards with no associated booklet. We didn't encounter anything major that wrecked the game and I think a little bit of the anger is overblown.

Here's an example of an issue - there's a deck of encounter cards you can draw from when moving between locations. It doesn't say whether you keep a discard pile of these or re-shuffle them after each draw. We re-shuffled which is wrong apparently. It didn't really matter.

Little stuff like that, most of it can either be figured out with common sense or isn't consequential.

The character set is better, the amount of items is large, and the art is good. My major complaint is the ending wasn't as neat as it could have been from a story perspective. There's some other cool story bits though that make up for it. It's kind of hard to describe without spoilers.

My group loves the game and still enjoyed this one. I rated it 3.5 stars with Asylum and The Marcy Case getting 4.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds