October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

I Finally Did It, MoFos

More
22 Apr 2016 09:04 #226278 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic I Finally Did It, MoFos
I'm a bit jealous. I have some definite shelf toads, and yet there is no way that they will get played, sold, traded or anything unless a highly selective thief breaks into my house.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2016 09:07 #226279 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic I Finally Did It, MoFos

Mr. White wrote: EDIT: Sorry I bored you this time around, Barney. I suppose the title is misleading and one may have thought I just did something that's a bit more...taboo...

We can't all be entertainers, all the time.

More
22 Apr 2016 09:24 #226280 by san il defanso
So I was here thinking about this overnight. I have worked hard to move a lot of games off the shelf if they don't get played over the last few years. Part of this is because I don't have much (if any) game budget, and swapping and selling stuff is how new games have gotten into rotation. It actually got to the point where I'd pull the trigger on trading and selling stuff much earlier than I might, because it represented a way for me to get a little extra game money. So in a strange way, selling games became part of my mania for getting new ones.

Over the last year or so I've been more comfortable letting games sit on the shelf, to allow them to be shelf toads. It actually encourages me to sit tight on what I have a little more, and anyway I get enough review copies to get a smattering of new stuff. Not only that, but it makes big purchases feel really special.

I mean, I still participate in math trades. I run one every six months here with our group, and that's kind of stood as my way to move unplayed games. But holding on to games a little longer has made me appreciate them more and forced me to explore them deeper. It's kind of like I've gotten some of the same effect Mr. White has by NOT getting rid of games.

More
22 Apr 2016 10:21 #226284 by SuperflyPete
There was a time when I was trying to "declutter" my game shelves because there were some games I had that I felt were fun, but I found something that did the same thing with a similar theme and/or setting, so I divested myself of it. Now I have about 120 games, and none are true "shelf toads". My philosophy has been that I should only keep the "Best In Class" for any given game or setting, although it's hard to really define what I think is a category. For instance, "Worker Placement, Set Collection" is what gives Stone Age its fun, and "Worker Placement" is what gives Agricola its fun, but I like Stone Age much more, so I currently have Agricola on the GET OUT list, despite them being very different games. There's other times where I can't make a decision, so I keep both, like Catan vs. City of Horror - Negotiation is what makes them both tick, but they're very different and I really like both, so I've kept both.

I play a LOT of games, but I really like playing my games A LOT rather than playing a lot of games a few times.

More
22 Apr 2016 10:54 #226292 by san il defanso
Yeah, the only games I have now that I'd truly classify as "shelf toads" are actually a lot of German games. That's one of my favorite genres, but I don't have a ton of friends who play them regularly, even given how short they tend to be. I have a lot of Knizia games that I hold on to, since he's my favorite designer, but I don't play most of them very much.

The best-in-class thing is interesting. On one hand, I traded away Sid Meier's Civ, even though I liked it, because I just didn't see it getting played OVER Clash of Cultures. They occupied a very similar space. On the other hand I've been getting into Argent a lot, and I already own two heavy-ish worker placement games in Agricola and Le Havre. For now I'm keeping all three, though we'll see how long Le Havre sticks around, as its window is far more narrow.

I also have gotten comfortable with holding on to games for sentimental reasons. I have a few titles to which I have a very strong emotional attachment, like that German copy of El Grande with those translated cars Rio Grande used to sell. Not that I plan on getting rid of that one, but it's definitely not played all that much. Or as another example take Power Grid. Almost everyone I play with has a copy, so I don't really need mine, but it was a present from my wife very early in our marriage, and I have a lot of great memories with it.

More
22 Apr 2016 11:01 - 22 Apr 2016 11:12 #226294 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic I Finally Did It, MoFos
Though I now have few, I still play games A LOT as opposed to playing A LOT of games. There were years where I was doing Meet-ups, or going out to someone's game night, etc. We've all done it. It was a fine time, but I've settled into the realization that I like life-style games which is why I went back into Blood Bowl...and the fact that I found a thriving tournament scene in my area is gravy. I prefer, and run leagues, but having tournaments around is an added bonus.

However, the bug to buy is _still_ strong. As recently as yesterday morning, I was asking myself if I should replace BB:TM with that Baseball Highlights thing. It seems to be a similar game but with a different theme to contrast with my BB and DB. I think I'm going to go with 'no' for now. The Casuals already know and enjoy BB:TM, plus I have yet to get any expansion, so if I really need to mix it up I can go into one of those.

I also think to myself, "man, I really need a good cyberpunk/dystopian setting game...maybe I'll get Infiltration." That thought to 'fill setting holes' moreso than mechanic holes is strong in me and I know I've asked about Android more than once over the years. In this case, I've decided to build the narrative of my DreadBall league into a more dystopian/John Carpenter sort of deal so I can get my fix of the genre with what I already have.

Back to 51st State, I was all about to pre-order (the setting!), but a few of the Casuals have started showing interest in picking up a game or two. I have no idea what they'll settle on, but I've opted to let 51st State ride and see what they turn up with on our outings. I figure getting their titles played will provide assurance and appreciation in their purchase. Regardless, we'll have a great time.

EDIT: I should note we do have a small collection of great family games (to which Brewmiester and Mad Dog have generously contributed!). But that set gets played plenty with the kids. Zero toads is my goal.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2016 11:12 by Mr. White.

More
22 Apr 2016 12:48 #226299 by SuperflyPete
I don't classify Agricola as "heavy" at all - it's very simple and relatively fast playing....but that's just me.

More
25 Apr 2016 13:51 #226434 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic I Finally Did It, MoFos
Well done Mr. White. Of course you need to pick up Slaughterball so you can do a comparison article with Dreadball and BloodBowl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
25 Apr 2016 14:42 #226440 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic I Finally Did It, MoFos
I'm glad that you're finding something that's working out for you.

I've been thinking about this stuff a lot lately. My parents lived in the same place for over 20 years, and they accumulated a lot of stuff. My brother moved into that place, and lived there for about 14 years. I think half the reason they had my brother move in was so that they could slowly move all of their junk into the new house. Then my brother and his ex accumulated junk, and I'm gonna move in there for a bit and pay my parents rent just so they're not losing money. (My brother got in a motorcycle accident almost 2 years ago and can't use stairs really). Cleaning that place out is a chore.

I really don't like getting a lot of stuff... except when it comes to board games. I think I have under 100, but that's still a lot. I look at the shelf and see a good 5-10 games that were well-meaning gifts that I've just never been very interested in playing. I have a lot of Heroscape stuff, so if you break it down into game-sized storage area or expenditure, I have a lot of "games." It has been sitting in the basement of my current place, hardly getting played anymore. (I was really hot on it from 2007-2011). My girlfriend's son is 5, and he loves it. I'll probably have a room and table devoted to games soon so HS stuff can stay set up for a bit! And now I'm really excited about X-Wing, and I'm trying hard not to go on buying sprees. I'm currently limiting my collection to what will fit in 4 small Plano boxes... we'll see how that goes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
25 Apr 2016 15:17 #226443 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic I Finally Did It, MoFos
I went out to the garage yesterday and spent 2 hours checking assorted totes and boxes until I finally found my polyhedral dice stash - Ridiculous - Too much gaming - some of the totes I've moved 3 times and they've only been opened to check contents - It's time to let a bunch of stuff go. I thought about Mr White's OP about an hour into the search. I need to set a limit and start cleaning house on this stuff.

Attachments:

More
25 Apr 2016 16:19 #226447 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic I Finally Did It, MoFos
Those of us who know Jeff will place our bets on him selling all his Blood Bowl/Dreadball stuff and replacing all the 80s and 90s GW games on his shelf within the next 5 years ;)

Well done, Jeff, I congratulate you on accomplishing your goal. This is definitely a hobby with lots of sub-hobbies. For some it's buying new stuff, for some it's collecting old games, or some it's about buying games of a certain theme, etc. Whatever floats your gaming boat, I say go for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.325 seconds