October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

DoaM - Favorite battle resolution systems?

More
06 Sep 2016 10:06 #233398 by engelstein
Thanks for all the great feedback!

I'm surprised that Kemet hasn't been mentioned. I've been leaning towards something similar, with a basic strength calc that can be modified by cards. Plus I like the way the cards can let you decide to throw a battle but take the enemy down with you.

Any Kemet love out there?
The following user(s) said Thank You: edulis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2016 10:15 #233402 by SebastianBludd
I think Small World is the only place where I would like Small World's combat resolution. The game itself is like watching a time lapse movie of civilizations rising, falling and disappearing so it makes sense that SW uses such abstracted combat if you consider that each "attack" might represent hundreds of years of conflict.

I really like Cthulhu Wars' combat resolution. You have custom dice (well, in the KS version...) and three possible results: Miss, Kill, Pain (i.e., forced retreat). Because of how much area control and influence plays a part in CW, the Pain result adds another level of tactical consideration rather than being an annoyance. I also like how lean combat is where the complexity is introduced by the factions' special abilities and upgrades, but the combat itself is just one dice roll by both sides.

More
06 Sep 2016 11:59 #233406 by metalface13
It's not really a DoaM game, but I love the combat in Marvel Heroes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
06 Sep 2016 12:23 #233409 by phandec
I'm going to have to go with a big "It depends..."

What makes for a good combat mechanic all depends on the rest of the game. A card+dice system can be ok if the combat is the key point of the game, but when there is a lot of other stuff going on the game, combat needs to be simple and keep the game pointed at whatever is the most interesting part.

Are units relatively cheap? Because if so then using a combat system where things are very bloody is great fun, but if those units are hard to replace then players will tend to turtle up and not fight.

Do you want to encourage attacking? Do something crazy like attackers win ties!

In the end, battle resolution needs to flow well with the rest of the game, or you end up with what happened with Dungenquest.

But if combat forms a crucial part of the game (which is usually the case for a DoaM), then going too simple can really cheapen the overall experience and make it feel like the game is making the decisions that matter, not the player.

...I just realized that I haven't made any suggestions.

More
06 Sep 2016 17:04 #233442 by DukeofChutney
Struggling to remember Kemets exact system so i guess it didn't make much impression on me, though it wasn't offensive either.

I'd recommend one type of component as others have said, and a quick resolution.

The best systems ask for a tense difficult decision followed by a very quick resolution, Dune and A Game of Thrones work quite well for me. It should either be a bluff or odds based a mixture of bluff and random is irritating.

More
06 Sep 2016 22:03 #233463 by Sevej

Mad Dog wrote: I'll probably get a lot of flak for this, but Small World. If you have a larger army then you move it in and take the territory. Quick, simple and effective. I could see maybe adding a miracle defense die to something like that whereas Small World has sort of the miracle attack die where you can try and artificially inflate your army size for one last attack.

Actually it's fine. I have no issue with Small World combat. But the overall game seems lacking, that sometimes parties not involved in conflict get more points. Not small enough I think....

More
19 Oct 2016 18:56 #236523 by ChristopherMD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Da Bid Dabid

More
20 Oct 2016 07:22 - 20 Oct 2016 07:24 #236536 by Nodens
The Kemet system has the exact same six cards for every player. It's a bluffing thing where you decide how important that battle is for you and how much pain you want to inflict, because the army sizes give you an indication who's going to win that battle. I have a strong dislike about the timing aspect, as you get your full hand back when you've played all six cards (always one play, one discard, so after three battles) and thus mostly kind of know the other players' hands. Sometimes you just pick a fight to get your full hand back.

My favourite system for combat resolution is Kings and Things, though. Sorry about that. Combat values in your army range from 1-6, you roll one die for every thing and a roll of equal or lower than combat value gives you a hit which after all rolling both players apply to their troops.
There are three waves of rolling and hitting due to magic users and bowmen. Huge amounts of rolling with often hilarious outcomes.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2016 07:24 by Nodens.

More
20 Oct 2016 07:48 #236537 by KingPut
I love Old School: Axis & Allies, Ti3, Block Games, Risk Europe. Troops hit on certain numbers and some times battle in a certain order. Roll the dice and take hits. Throw in a modifier or battle card but don't get to crazy or it might become a math slog. I dislike most of FFGs card combat systems it's the weakest part of all ther games. I like Kemet's ok. I like Dune. Samll World isn't combat it's relocation into some bodies space.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds