October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

How do you sell your games?

More
12 Sep 2016 23:02 #234073 by Michael Barnes
"Next person to roll double skulls gets this copy of Chaos Marauders!", throughout the evening.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, Mr. White, stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2016 23:40 #234076 by ratpfink
Most of the local cons around here seem to always have a silent auction. That's where I dump a lot stuff and I don't have to deal with shipping. We have a lot of math trades at the local cons around here too. Those tend to not be as good because there are so many now that it's the same crap in every one and we have some "super traders" that are in it for value only.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
13 Sep 2016 00:44 - 13 Sep 2016 00:44 #234078 by cdennett

san il defanso wrote: But yeah, selling games has become super difficult, especially if the game is a few years old. As exhibited by my futile endeavors to actually SELL Mage Knight.

Funny, I literally sold my copy of Mage Knight last week on BGG for $40 (granted it had been played only once so is Like New).

As some of you may remember I'm in the process of a massive purge right now. After selling 3 or 4 games here, I sold two on eBay (one for a bit of a loss, one for a huge gain). But yeah, the fees suck. I've since listed about 50 games on BGG and sold about 12. I'm typically pricing to move, though not throwing them away. Look at prices and stock at CSI, MM, and Amazon and make sure you are selling for less (plus shipping) or just don't bother. Granted, the more desirable titles of mine are going first, so I'm bound to be left with the chaff here soon. But I figure I'll throw some free games at F:AT and try and do some sort of auction for delivery at BGG Con or something to get rid of the ones I don't feel like I can sell.

One big tip I learned part way through this process: for small pacakges always use PayPal to buy shipping. Those medium flat rate boxes that cost you $13.45 at the post office are $11.65 (I think) doing it via PayPal (with no fees if you don't use CC). They also offer some shipping options you can't get via the USPS website if the buyer can wait another week. The interface on PayPal sucks in general, but once you figure out that a "package" is defined as (length + 2*(width+height)) < 84" then you can price on weight (and zipcode) alone. That helps me be a bit more competitive.
Last edit: 13 Sep 2016 00:44 by cdennett.

More
13 Sep 2016 00:53 - 13 Sep 2016 00:53 #234080 by san il defanso
Funny story, I just now made a deal to sell my Mage Knight for $60 to a guy locally. So miracles do happen.
Last edit: 13 Sep 2016 00:53 by san il defanso.

More
13 Sep 2016 03:15 #234089 by Forelle
Replied by Forelle on topic How do you sell your games?
I'll second almost everything that's been said. If you're looking to maximize your return, selling local is your best bet. The crunch between online discount pricing and shipping costs eats up a lot of resale value. You might also consider an auction at BGG; it's how I've moved a lot of things in the past. It's been a long while since I've done one - so I don't know if there's been any rule changes about conducting one that makes them less attractive - but I've always considered an auction to be a good way to rid oneself of any illusions about what a game might fetch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, stoic

More
13 Sep 2016 12:14 #234118 by dysjunct
I find the least hassle to be Amazon. Price what you want (low to move, high to maximize profits). You can disable your entire store if you go out of town. Tons of control, and fewer annoying nerds than on BGG.

More
13 Sep 2016 12:32 #234119 by SebastianBludd
I've never used Amazon but that might be a good option. But gauging the market with eBay sold auctions takes very little time and will let you know in short order whether you want to sell online or on craigslist. I've sold a fair share of thrifted games (it would have been more but for the lack of used games around here) but I still occasionally run across games that are inexplicably selling for a lot online.

More
13 Sep 2016 12:52 #234122 by Gregarius
One thing to know about selling via Amazon-- they discourage low-volume sellers. Right around now or October, they'll check to see how many sales you have, and they may prevent you from listing anything until the end of the year. I think the idea is to prevent fly-by-night scammers who take advantage of the pre-Christmas rush, but it also hurts the little guy who might only have things to sell during the pre-Christmas rush.

I've only sold through Amazon a handful of times, though, so my information could be off-base or out of date.

I used to sell a lot through eBay, just because it has such a huge customer base. But rising shipping costs and falling interest in anything but the most niche games have helped reduce my activity there. I still sell on BGG, but the audience is tougher (and better educated) there.

I definitely agree that the time to sell a game is as soon as you can. I have a much harder time getting rid of older (often superior) games than I do whatever is still hot.

More
13 Sep 2016 13:09 #234123 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic How do you sell your games?
My local game store (Games Plus in Mt. Prospect, IL) runs a bi-annual auction, and that's where I dump my unwanted games. The selling prices aren't great, unless you happen to get lucky, and two bidders drive up the price on something. But for the sheer and total lack of effort required on my part, it's FANTASTIC. I literally do nothing except drop my shit off at the store. And, I get my earnings in store credit, which means .... more games! Otherwise, my wife would make me use that money for something stupid, like groceries or the mortgage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
13 Sep 2016 13:24 #234126 by metalface13
If only there was some way to do a math trade but selling games. that doesn't make any sense, but I can dream.

More
13 Sep 2016 14:39 #234138 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic How do you sell your games?

Joebot wrote: My local game store (Games Plus in Mt. Prospect, IL) runs a bi-annual auction, and that's where I dump my unwanted games. The selling prices aren't great, unless you happen to get lucky, and two bidders drive up the price on something. But for the sheer and total lack of effort required on my part, it's FANTASTIC. I literally do nothing except drop my shit off at the store.

Guy I know uses the same store for the same reasons. Some stores sell on consignment, but you've got to wait til the item sells, which could take awhile.

This is the reason I use the WBC Auction store/Auction . Some stuff may get less, but the cumulative haul of cash for minimal effort is unparalleled. I've basically most of my entire week's stay at WBC the last 4-5 years this way. For non collectible/low value stuff, its especially great. Who the hell wants to fill out an Ebay listing/BGG listing for something that'll sell for $10 if you're lucky. Its also great for misc grab bag stuff, like assorted inserts from C3I / MMP Special OPS that can net you some if not most of the money back you paid for the magazine .

More
15 Sep 2016 14:51 #234330 by metalface13
Listen, nobody is going to buy anyone else's games unless they are FFG/GW games.

So who wants to buy my Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game for $1,000?

More
17 Sep 2016 21:06 #234491 by wadenels
I'm prepping a big sale. Will probably be a few months, and I think I'll seed the Pay it Forward thread a bit when it gets closer. I've tried to sell locally, but most this stuff isn't the BGG Hotness so it seems I'd have better luck selling ice cream in Siberia.

Here's the kicker: I'm not trying to profit off the collection cull. I'm not trying to get taken to the cleaners either. All I really want is a few dollars for the time it takes me to get things together and pack them up, and a few dollars to put in the "oh shit I'm going to buy Talisman 5e after all" slush fund. The thing that kills me is that I can't seem to figure a way to ship a standard size game for under $15 any more. I'm totally happy to bundle a dozen games together in the biggest box can find so that shipping isn't a deal-killer, but the target market for that is minimal to non-existent.

Has anybody found a way to ship a game reasonably these days? Am I just dense and unable to finagle my way through the USPS pricing bureaucracy?

More
18 Sep 2016 09:57 #234501 by gversace
I don't find USPS that hard - their calculator isn't that bad ( postcalc.usps.com/ ). You only need to know weight at the lb level. It asks for oz, but that is irrelevant, so just put the next highest lb. I use a kitchen scale ( www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Digital-Multifun...inless/dp/B0113UZJE2 ).

You can print labels using paypal, even if it isn't associated with a paypal transaction, at this link: www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now . You get a discount over USPS rates; sometimes it is decent, sometimes it's not, but it is never more expensive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Frohike

More
18 Sep 2016 10:41 #234506 by wadenels
I've got a scale and use the calculator, but I didn't know about the paypal thing. Thanks!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds