October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Recommend me a game

More
07 Jul 2017 10:00 #250964 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Recommend me a game
It's not cheap, but Railways of the World/Railroad Tycoon scratches that Steam itch. Railroad Tycoon's initial map kind of sucks, but Railways' maps are better.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2017 10:05 #250965 by Unicron
Replied by Unicron on topic Recommend me a game
My recommendations: Maria, Churchill, Star Trek: Ascendancy, God’s Playground, Forged in Steel, Three Kingdoms

That would be the order. Maria is my personal favorite, but these games are all wildly different from each other, very interactive and easier learned than mastered.

More
07 Jul 2017 14:59 - 07 Jul 2017 15:00 #250983 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Recommend me a game
I have no idea if it's still in print, but Imperial would probably work for you guys.

Two favorites of mine in this space: I really enjoy Clash of Cultures for its sweep and its focus, though it has a lot to process at the front end with the advances. I also really like Merchant of Venus, though I'm unclear if the FFG version is still available. That one also is not as interactive, and I find that players can get left in the dust now and then.

("Players" = me)
Last edit: 07 Jul 2017 15:00 by san il defanso.

More
07 Jul 2017 15:14 #250984 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Recommend me a game
I guess I will weigh in here since it was requested...

Everything you listed as criteria points directly at Star Trek: Ascendancy. ESPECIALLY since you are a group of three, and the game is MADE for three. And you will get a lot of play learning each side and switching out. The only catch is that it is Trek. So if you three don't all go in on Trek, it loses points.

Clash of Cultures is a great suggestion, and a great game. It works really well with three.

On the more adventurey/co-op tip, Eldritch Horror is perfect for three.

Imperial is really better with more, but it does sound right up your alley. It works with three fine, it's just one of those where more players mix it up a lot more.

Antiquity is awesome, but it is stupid expensive and it's fairly complicated. VERY challenging. It's Splotter's best by far.

Pax Porfiriana is probably best with three. Very nasty little game. It has some barriers to overcome though. The subject matter may not engage, and it has the usual Sierra Madre ramshackle approach to graphic design.

Merchant of Venus might find some traction. There's some rail gamey aspects to it- route planning and so forth. It is three players MAX, otherwise it just goes on and on and on. The FFG edition is desirable because it has the updated version, which increases the fluff and interaction, and the original version.

If you want to spend the big bucks, Cthulhu Wars is great with three, and in fact I usually play with three. Add in an extra faction, map, or a GOO pack and you've got a lot of variety. I would probably recommend this over anything else, if only because it's my favorite game of the past several years.

I also think y'all would probably really like Scythe, and it adjusts down to three well. Just bear in mind that it's an economic game, not a blow up mechs game.

Going back a few years, End of the Triumvirate was a really good three player design. I don't know if you can find it anywhere easily, but it was quite good.

If Steam is your favorite game, I don't know if I would suggest Railways of the World. It is sort of in this zone between Ticket to Ride and Steam. It's much simpler, much more direct, and less ruthless. I love it and prefer it to Steam.

Acquire is good for 3-6, always a great.

Millenium Blades was mentioned, and that is a good pick given your CCG heritage.

And then there's Argent, the world's most complicated but best worker placement game. It does three well.

More
07 Jul 2017 15:18 #250985 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Recommend me a game
I completely forgot about Argent, which is bonkers, because I love that game. It LOVES three-player situations, and if you met playing stuff like Netrunner you might really like the way that game rewards finding weird and surprising combos.

More
07 Jul 2017 15:28 #250986 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Recommend me a game

san il defanso wrote: I have no idea if it's still in print, but Imperial would probably work for you guys.

Two favorites of mine in this space: I really enjoy Clash of Cultures for its sweep and its focus, though it has a lot to process at the front end with the advances. I also really like Merchant of Venus, though I'm unclear if the FFG version is still available. That one also is not as interactive, and I find that players can get left in the dust now and then.

("Players" = me)

I haven't looked, but the FFG version should not be hard nor expensive to track down. They were blowing them out for awhile. Excellent game.

More
09 Jul 2017 18:33 - 09 Jul 2017 18:38 #251038 by Erik Twice
Replied by Erik Twice on topic Recommend me a game
Sorry for taking so long to answer, I've been checking the games one by one to see if they are something I would be interested in.

Being honest with myself, I think the big problem is that I'm looking for a "ten". You know, the kind of game that will be a massive hit and I'll play over and over and give it four or five starts on my blog. There are not many games like that, even less that fit my group and I'm unwilling to buy a bad game and be forced to go through hoops to resell it.

Part of me thinks I should find other play to play with. We tried to get a fourth guy but the last guy we got didn't want to come back because we were "too aggressive playing Automobile". Yeah, I don't think we were a good fit. I also fear one of the players in my group and I have very different tastes and he'll reject most games I'm interested in, for good or bad. For example, he doesn't really tolerate 3-4 hour long games.

So, in that sense, I feel bad rejecting your suggestions because they are good suggestions. I'm not sure if my issue is not finding the right game or something deeper.

Some thoughts:

No way in hell I can get my group to play these

Reef Encounter (Actually a sharp suggestion, you are not wrong at all!)
Maria (Too long)
Churchill (Theme, lenght)
Clash of Cultures (Lenght. Otherwise a fantastic suggestion)
Scythe (The "doesn't want to feel out guy" didn't like it, he feels that attacking is the wrong move and that's unappealing to me too. I would rather play other games)

Too similar to other games in my group

Imperial (To Chicago Express, also better with higher player counts. I actually chose between these two when I bought CE)
Railways of the World (To Steam)
Merchant of Venus (To Xia, which sucks, because two of us veto Xia and never wish to play it again)
Eldritch Horror (I didn't like Arkham Horror and sold it)
Argent (We have a ton of worker-placement games)

I wish I could try this and then decide if I like them or nott

Millenium Blades (This could be great or fall flat, I wish I could try it)
Acquire (Is this good with 3? I thought it wasn't, so I never considered it)
Star Trek: Ascendancy (Trek is not well-known here and is unappealing to us as a theme. Still, I would like to try it and see if it's a great 4x
Forged in Steel (Would need to check for myself if it's the kind of "best of kind" game I want)
Three Kingdoms (See above)

So yeah dunno. I feel like I could enjoy several of your suggestions, but I think the issues are larger than that: I have no money to risk on a game I don't like and I'm a bit unhappy with my group :/
Last edit: 09 Jul 2017 18:38 by Erik Twice.

More
09 Jul 2017 19:14 #251039 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Recommend me a game
Clash of Cultures...

If you like what you see and your only concern is length, well it gets better. A lot of CoC's length is the decision space of the tech board and the map. The former goes way down with experience and the latter also has the potential to do so. It's the sort of game that gives you a lot of information up front, but familiarity can lead to reasonably quick games. Naturally, it depends on the type of player, but I had a CoC group going for a while where 2 hours was long-ish.

I've also had 4-6 hour teaching games, so there's definitely a big initial hump to get over. For me the time investment has been worth it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Jul 2017 20:12 #251040 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Recommend me a game

Erik Twice wrote: Sorry for taking so long to answer, I've been checking the games one by one to see if they are something I would be interested in.

Being honest with myself, I think the big problem is that I'm looking for a "ten". You know, the kind of game that will be a massive hit and I'll play over and over and give it four or five starts on my blog. There are not many games like that, even less that fit my group and I'm unwilling to buy a bad game and be forced to go through hoops to resell it.

Part of me thinks I should find other play to play with. We tried to get a fourth guy but the last guy we got didn't want to come back because we were "too aggressive playing Automobile". Yeah, I don't think we were a good fit. I also fear one of the players in my group and I have very different tastes and he'll reject most games I'm interested in, for good or bad. For example, he doesn't really tolerate 3-4 hour long games.

So, in that sense, I feel bad rejecting your suggestions because they are good suggestions. I'm not sure if my issue is not finding the right game or something deeper.

Some thoughts:

No way in hell I can get my group to play these

Reef Encounter (Actually a sharp suggestion, you are not wrong at all!)
Maria (Too long)
Churchill (Theme, lenght)
Clash of Cultures (Lenght. Otherwise a fantastic suggestion)
Scythe (The "doesn't want to feel out guy" didn't like it, he feels that attacking is the wrong move and that's unappealing to me too. I would rather play other games)

Too similar to other games in my group

Imperial (To Chicago Express, also better with higher player counts. I actually chose between these two when I bought CE)
Railways of the World (To Steam)
Merchant of Venus (To Xia, which sucks, because two of us veto Xia and never wish to play it again)
Eldritch Horror (I didn't like Arkham Horror and sold it)
Argent (We have a ton of worker-placement games)

I wish I could try this and then decide if I like them or nott

Millenium Blades (This could be great or fall flat, I wish I could try it)
Acquire (Is this good with 3? I thought it wasn't, so I never considered it)
Star Trek: Ascendancy (Trek is not well-known here and is unappealing to us as a theme. Still, I would like to try it and see if it's a great 4x
Forged in Steel (Would need to check for myself if it's the kind of "best of kind" game I want)
Three Kingdoms (See above)

So yeah dunno. I feel like I could enjoy several of your suggestions, but I think the issues are larger than that: I have no money to risk on a game I don't like and I'm a bit unhappy with my group :/

Flush Xia and get Merchants of Venus.

More
09 Jul 2017 20:27 #251041 by Da Bid Dabid
Replied by Da Bid Dabid on topic Recommend me a game
I love the game. But if Trek is unappealing as a theme you can stay away from Ascendancy.

May be too obvious but what about Tigris and Euphrates?
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37

More
09 Jul 2017 20:48 - 10 Jul 2017 09:58 #251042 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Recommend me a game

wadenels wrote: Clash of Cultures...

If you like what you see and your only concern is length, well it gets better. A lot of CoC's length is the decision space of the tech board and the map. The former goes way down with experience and the latter also has the potential to do so. It's the sort of game that gives you a lot of information up front, but familiarity can lead to reasonably quick games. Naturally, it depends on the type of player, but I had a CoC group going for a while where 2 hours was long-ish.

I've also had 4-6 hour teaching games, so there's definitely a big initial hump to get over. For me the time investment has been worth it.

Probably my favorite game. I think length of game concerns are a little overblown too---it's just that everyone has to know the tech tree to have some idea where they are going. Game goes faster once you do. That said, the last turn or two can be long and involved because everyone is triggering 4 special powers at a time. Oh, and you HAVE to play with the variable turn end to reduce the end of the world problem. Fixed ending drags the last few parts of the game out to make max points instead of sensible moves.

This is a good choice IMHO.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2017 09:58 by Gary Sax.

More
10 Jul 2017 09:52 #251061 by engelstein
Replied by engelstein on topic Recommend me a game
Sorry for coming in late - but for three players I really, really enjoy Three Kingdoms Redux. Lot's of tension, interesting mechanics, and possible strategies depending on the mix of leaders you get.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds