October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Tips for finding a boardgaming/RPG group?

More
24 Jul 2017 12:20 #251581 by Erik Twice
During the last few months I've decided to narrow down my interests. Everything that isn't gaming or model trains is slowly being purged and anything on those two fields that I cannot put to use is also being removed. So I'm starting to lok for ways to make my time count.

However, I have never really looked for a group. I mean, I did play with those train gamers for a while but it was very long ago and their elitism aside, we just weren't a good matchup. Most of them were twice my age or older and balked at the idea of playing aggressively, even in 18XX. I also tried to hang out with a group centered around a gaming podcast but they were literally cultists of the new. They never, ever replayed a game while I was there. So yeah, I haven't been doing this correctly.

I've been thinking about finding suitable people first (Nice people, my age, etc.) and then seeing if I can introduce the kind of games I like. If the group is big enoughs omeone might be interested...right?

Any tips welcome, I guess hahaha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2017 13:54 #251588 by the_jake_1973
I looked on Meetup and found a good one locally. They play a pretty wide selection of games and boast an impressive library of games as well. There is also a good meetup at the local game store. Those people were a little hit or miss compatibility wise.

Best of luck with either option.

More
24 Jul 2017 14:05 #251589 by Cranberries
My only very limited success in this area has been converting friends to playing boardgames, which means I play a 2 or 4 player game every three months with my buddy and our sons.

You could try starting a club, casting a wide net, getting everyone to show up at a game store, then starting a side project with the people whose personalities and gaming interests mesh with yours. But that could take a year.

I'm interested about your process of culling extra things out of your life. Are you reading Marie Kondo?

More
24 Jul 2017 14:17 #251590 by charlest
Seconding the Meetup.com recommendation.

More
24 Jul 2017 15:44 #251595 by Erik Twice
Seems like Meetup isn't popular in Spain so I might need to look elsewhere. I've found a similar platform and found some posts there, but not many. It seems the geeks of Madrid move mostly through clubs. They are generally pretty open so perhaps I should go there one day they accept newcomers and give it a whirl.

I admit I'm a bit afraid of not being compatible :/

cranberries wrote: I'm interested about your process of culling extra things out of your life. Are you reading Marie Kondo?

Sorry, I'm not well-read on the subject or anything it's just something I've been thinking about. I'm not there yet though I've been getting more serious about it over time.

1) I realized I had a ton of stuff I didn't use or care about: Books I only read once, old miniatures that hadn't seen the light of the day in years, music CDs I no longer like, anime series from when I was a teen and so on. They were not making me happy, were taking space and could be sold to accomodate stuff that actually would make me happy.

Interestingly enough, I realized this because I collect old videogames. I used to have a lot of games that were cool but that I didn't really play or care about, like 80-hours long Japanese RPGs. And one day I realized I had a ton of crap I didn't care about. I pruned my collection and now I only have games I enjoy owning and checking out. Why not do the same with the rest of my stuff?

For example, I'm selling the vast majority of my books. I just don't use them or care enough about them to justify the space they take. Why own something I only use once? They are not making me happy on a shelf so I've decided to purge all of them except for stuff I can see myself reading again several times.

2) I realized I was stuck in "The Lazy Zone". The "lazy zone" is like the sister of the "comfort zone", it's when you do something, not because it's the best use of your time, but because it requires less upfront resources than what you really want to do. So, for example, I have more fun playing a cool game than reading forums online but the former requires effort so I become "lazy" and only do the latter.

The thing is, it's a purely mental barrier and once I'm into it, it doesn't actually require more effort to play the cool game.

3) I realized I could sell my stuff and buy something I actually want. This is pretty self-explanatory but here's the thing: It's hard to oevrstate how much money we have tied in junk. I've sold 20 items and gotten around 300€ in return, that's insane! It's how I've been able to afford my model trains.

So my idea is to sell all the junk I don't care about it and use the money to improve my "core experiences".

4) I don't even want more entertainment. Between retrogaming, the ocassional modern game, writing on my blog, travelling, playing boardgames, playing a lifestyle CCG (Netrunner) and now finding a RPG group I have more entertainment than I'll ever need. I don't need to keep miniatures or get into sci-fi, this is enough.

So I think, why spend my time, space and money on unplayed Warhammer miniatures when I can double down on the better stuff?

Woha, that was a mouthfoul. Hope that helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Cranberries, Black Barney, Frohike

More
24 Jul 2017 15:49 #251596 by Black Barney
Jeez Erik, you should write an article about this stuff. Your point #2 on the Lazy Zone being very close the Comfort Zone really light up some bulbs in my head. There are things I do and play for precisely this reason. I don't even think about it and am constantly asking myself (or feeling guilty) why aren't I playing something that I actually really want to play instead?

Point 4 is really strong too, i feel the same way.

More
25 Jul 2017 12:27 - 25 Jul 2017 12:30 #251640 by Erik Twice
Thanks Barney! I've actually thought about it but I'm going through writer's block at the moment and can't get anything out. I made the mistake of starting another big article and it proved to be a mistake.

Black Barney wrote: I don't even think about it and am constantly asking myself (or feeling guilty) why aren't I playing something that I actually really want to play instead?

Yes, exactly. I feel like that too. I remember playing a bunch of stuff just because I had nothing better to do and it makes me feel bad. I think I should get rid of those days of guilty, unfulfilling play and turn them into something better, like beating Gradius or playing D&D.

I mean, have you seen how excited I get when I really like a game? Why not be like that more often? It's not like playing Star Realms another hundred times is the best use of my time!
Last edit: 25 Jul 2017 12:30 by Erik Twice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
25 Jul 2017 12:55 #251641 by Colorcrayons
I have nontips on finding annrpg group. I tried that a couple times and was so unfulfilling, that I quit RPGs altogether. Its hard to get into a new group when you've been playing a certain way twice a week for a decade.

As for game groups, meet up is good.
Failing that and referring back to your second point, plop a game you like on a table where gamers gather and camp out.
This way people walking by see you need players, will discuss what you got to offer for a game and you play a game you actually enjoy.

I'm kinda spoiled in Minneapolis for this type of thing, even though I rarely go out to game. But I just find an open table at the FFG event center, and inevitably I end up getting a game or two in of what I want to play. Sometimes sitting in on someone else's game where they have done the same thing will lead to playing what you brought afterwards as well.

My life is just too erratic, sadly, to play in a regular group. I wish I was 18 again and could afford that kind of time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
25 Jul 2017 15:28 #251648 by Pat II
Meetup worked great for me after moving to another province. Met a bunch of gamers and can pretty much get a group together outside of the weekly meetups to play anything using whatsap. I would suggest going to the gameshops that are hosting events and start talking to people to find the like minded ones and join whatever social media they are using. I can now get a game of TI3 going with different players of 7 or 8 with minimal effort thanks to social media. It used to be I would gather non gamer friends and that was seldom and would turn into a boozefest quickly.

More
25 Jul 2017 18:38 #251652 by SuperflyPete
Find a Facebook group that sells games in your province/area and then start hitting up those folks who are members.

I've found 2 groups like that and while one is meh at best the other are dedicated game dudes who want to play legit games

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds