October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Petersen speaks of counterfeit game issue

More
23 Sep 2017 20:10 - 23 Sep 2017 20:15 #254675 by Sagrilarus
A week back I teased Barnes that he had picked up a counterfeit game on Amazon, as a joke. A great deal, but I figured someone was just dumping extra stock. I didn't think there was much counterfeiting going on. But, when someone asked about Asmodee games drying up on Amazon Christian Petersen made the following reply:

Gents, we are currently working with Amazon, jointly undertaking a significant effort to combat the incredible torrent of counterfeiting on the Amazon marketplace. As soon as practicable, all legit and authorized resellers of authentic Asmodee products will be able to return to the marketplace as usual.

Thanks for your concern,

Christian
Asmodee North America

Apparently when deep discounts are ended there's room for counterfeits to be profitable?
Last edit: 23 Sep 2017 20:15 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2017 20:35 #254677 by metalface13

Sagrilarus wrote: A week back I teased Barnes that he had picked up a counterfeit game on Amazon, as a joke. A great deal, but I figured someone was just dumping extra stock. I didn't think there was much counterfeiting going on. But, when someone asked about Asmodee games drying up on Amazon Christian Petersen made the following reply:

Gents, we are currently working with Amazon, jointly undertaking a significant effort to combat the incredible torrent of counterfeiting on the Amazon marketplace. As soon as practicable, all legit and authorized resellers of authentic Asmodee products will be able to return to the marketplace as usual.

Thanks for your concern,

Christian
Asmodee North America

Apparently when deep discounts are ended there's room for counterfeits to be profitable?

Is it really counterfeiting though? It can't possibly be worth the effort to counterfeit a game. I wonder if it's more likely to be something like this mentioned in an article Jeff forwarded to me last week: www.entrepreneur.com/article/278622#
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Sagrilarus, Colorcrayons, cdennett

More
23 Sep 2017 21:03 - 23 Sep 2017 21:05 #254678 by dysjunct
Or people buying used games and shrink wrapping them to sell as new?
Last edit: 23 Sep 2017 21:05 by dysjunct.

More
23 Sep 2017 21:13 #254679 by Gary Sax
Yeah, it sort of shocks me that this could possibly be worth doing!

More
23 Sep 2017 23:22 #254687 by Sagrilarus

metalface13 wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: A week back I teased Barnes that he had picked up a counterfeit game on Amazon, as a joke. A great deal, but I figured someone was just dumping extra stock. I didn't think there was much counterfeiting going on. But, when someone asked about Asmodee games drying up on Amazon Christian Petersen made the following reply:

Thanks for your concern,

Christian
Asmodee North America

Is it really counterfeiting though? It can't possibly be worth the effort to counterfeit a game. I wonder if it's more likely to be something like this mentioned in an article Jeff forwarded to me last week: www.entrepreneur.com/article/278622#

Great article once it gets underway. I imagine these arbitragers wreak havoc with "Authorized Sellers Only" policies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

More
24 Sep 2017 04:03 #254691 by southernman
From the threads I have seen on BGG and then the cheap games on eBay from China or Hong Kong (usually with the same low price) I'm pretty sure counterfeiting is out there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

More
24 Sep 2017 09:10 #254693 by Sevej
Counterfeiting is very well alive here. As Southernman says, it's all made in China. The counterfeits are generally half to little more than half the market price. You'd be surprised how cheap things can be made there.

This is a quick search on a local marketplace site. This particular seller is being honest the stuff he sell is counterfeit (see the "KW" mark). Some counterfeits are pretty clear with chinese characters, others not so.

They only counterfeit games with easy components. Card boards, wooden meeples, simple plastic pawns. Once it's all tooled, the cost to produce them becomes negligible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Gary Sax, dysjunct, Sagrilarus

More
24 Sep 2017 09:22 #254694 by Colorcrayons
In would have only thought that oop games in high demand would have been worth it.

I guessed wrong apparently.

More
24 Sep 2017 10:59 #254698 by Cranberries

Colorcrayons wrote: In would have only thought that oop games in high demand would have been worth it.

I guessed wrong apparently.

It would be interesting if Games Workshop counterfeiting were a thing. They would probably send in a private army to stop it.

More
24 Sep 2017 11:16 #254699 by Colorcrayons
Well I know for a fact that their models are counterfeited frequently.

The sad part is, the counterfeits are often of better quality than you buy from GW, for a fraction of the price gw charges.
(Cleaner casting, less to no mold lines, crisper detail, models available only in shitty resin now available in superior pewter, etc.)

More
24 Sep 2017 11:25 #254700 by Pat II
It makes too much sense to counterfeit. Its the same with pharmaceuticals, tools, etc..once the lights go out for the week, an additional production run is made out the back door. With games going for $100 USD why wouldnt you run off a couple of hundred for $7 USD and flog them on Ebay or Amazon. Everything is counterfeited.

More
24 Sep 2017 11:27 #254701 by Michael Barnes
Years ago I thought about doing a shocking expose on games manufacturing in China. I talked to several publishers, and it was really kind of shocking how little companies having games made in China actually knew about the processes or places their games. Everyone I spoke to in the industry dodged around questions regarding factory conditions, human rights, and product safety issues. One fabulously famous games maker assured me that their stuff was made in the same factory that Disney uses...as if that assuaged any concerns.

Anyway, one designer/publisher- a name you would probably recognize- did give me a little more. He showed me pictures of when he made a "surprise" visit to the company that was making his stuff in China. Sure enough, right out in front of the shop, this printing place had a stand set up on the street selling unauthorized copies of EVERYTHING they made. So there was a huge stack of this guy's game, which was one that would probably only sell a few thousand copies worldwide. But right there, you could buy it for I think he said $5 USD. They had added Chinese language to the box on these copies, although there was no Chinese edition of the game.

At the time he was switching production back to Europe because of stuff like this.

So yeah, the counterfeiting does exist. I've only ever seen one counterfeited game, it was a copy of Bohnanza that a friend bought when he went to China.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, southernman, Feelitmon

More
24 Sep 2017 11:32 #254702 by Michael Barnes
Mark- GW counterfeiting is a BIG thing. eBay is filled with sellers, many of them in Eastern Europe/Russia and of course China, that are selling "recasts". It's a pretty common thing, especially for Forge World stuff. Places over there will basically just make a cast of a GW kit and do it in resin or pewter. I accidentally bought a recast kit a few months ago, it was HORRID. I had to threaten the guy with reporting him to GW to get a refund and after he gave me the money back I reported him anyway.

At this point, I would be that there are more counterfeit Sisters of Battle on tables than legit ones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, metalface13

More
24 Sep 2017 11:33 - 24 Sep 2017 11:35 #254703 by jpat
Someone's reporting on BGG that Asmodee and Amazon have now "gated" Asmodee products, meaning that only authorized sellers can sell them. (Edit: I suppose Petersen's announcement reported above amounts to the same thing, but confirmation of a sort.)

boardgamegeek.com/thread/1853568/amazon-...-it-means-why/page/1

This is obviously the next logical step, if you buy the argument at all. Amazon creates a counterfeiting problem by not monitoring inventory properly; the community cries "Woe is us! Amazon, please save us from this!"; and Amazon/Asmodee, barely concealing their maniacal laughs, say, "OK. We fixed the problem." Small potatoes in the large scheme of things, in and of itself, but another example of what will perhaps become more common in terms of Amazon's predatory practices.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2017 11:35 by jpat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, JEM

More
24 Sep 2017 12:18 #254705 by Colorcrayons

Michael Barnes wrote: Mark- GW counterfeiting is a BIG thing. eBay is filled with sellers, many of them in Eastern Europe/Russia and of course China, that are selling "recasts". It's a pretty common thing, especially for Forge World stuff. Places over there will basically just make a cast of a GW kit and do it in resin or pewter. I accidentally bought a recast kit a few months ago, it was HORRID. I had to threaten the guy with reporting him to GW to get a refund and after he gave me the money back I reported him anyway.

At this point, I would be that there are more counterfeit Sisters of Battle on tables than legit ones.

Gw will actually reimburse you the cost of the model if you send it to them when you report the forgery.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds