October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Playing With Yourself: What Do You Think of Solo Gaming

More
02 Jan 2018 12:20 - 05 Jan 2018 16:01 #260038 by Gary Sax
Solo board games give me a sort of low intensity Zen afterwards that video games don't provide, so that's one reason I like them. I'd actually like to do a little more of this instead of staring at a phone or playing video games on my lonely commuting evenings this year.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2018 16:01 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2018 13:20 #260045 by Gregarius
When I first got into this hobby, I was the primary purchaser and explainer for my group. I played *a lot* of games solo in order to learn the rules. Sadly, my dwindled free time has brought that down to almost zero over the last few years. It's a shame, really, because going through a game solo is a really effective way to not just learn the rules, but to understand how they work together. It also helps clarify ambiguities and predict any snags that might occur. Everyone benefits from a teacher who knows the rules this well. Maybe that should be a goal to set for myself in the coming year.

Lately, I've been able to really dive into solo games. Like most of you, my previous preference in this area would have been video games, but I made a deliberate choice to avoid those. It's so easy to lose a ton of hours playing, and I really enjoy it, but by the end I'm usually left with a bit of a hollow feeling and no real sense of accomplishment. It's entirely possible the same will be true of solo board games, but I hope not.

I started with Nemo's War and I still love it just as much as I did the first time I played it. The new edition is just glorious in artwork and quality. I highly recommend this one for everyone.

Next was the Automata for Scythe. This is a game that I like a lot more than my group, so soloing seemed like a good fit. The Automata works pretty well. The game feels much more puzzle-like when playing solo. The Automata can screw up your plans, but more often just outscores you. I need to pony up the dough to unlock the app for multiple automata. Recommended for those who already enjoy Scythe.

I just started a solo campaign with Gloomhaven. So far, it's pretty great. This type of dungeon crawl hack & slash is probably what I'd be playing as a video game, so it kinda scratches that itch as well. It's puzzly as well, in that you need to strategize how to clear a room of monsters. Randomness can screw you pretty badly, I've learned. The set up time for a scenario is a little daunting. Fortunately, I'm currently able to leave it out, so I'll often set one up at the end of the night so that it's ready for me to tackle the next day or whenever I get around to it. Recommended for fans of dungeon crawlers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Frohike, stoic

More
02 Jan 2018 14:58 #260052 by mads b.
I love solo gaming. I like the tactile experience of playing a board game, and I like how the story is often shorter than playing a video game. For instance a game of Arkham Horror is a complete story in itself, but I can't get that sort of a finished story in a few hours while playing Fallout 3 or some such.

I mostly play games that are meant to be soloed or where I can control two cooperating characters. I've played a lot of Death Angel, Runebound, Ghost Stories, Friday, Thunderbirds, Mage Knight, Gears of War and lots of other games. A couple of months ago I got back into Arkham Horror again, and it's really a great game. Also soloed the card game, but now my wife and I play the campaign together. I've been thinking about digging out Mage Knight again which I haven't played for years, but on the other hand I also want to play the new Fallout board game. And some more Runebound 3rd ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
05 Jan 2018 01:22 - 05 Jan 2018 01:26 #260251 by ThirstyMan
I don't play solo not just because I don't have opponents, I play solo because I enjoy it more.

I could, of course, use VASSAL for most wargaming, if I wanted to - but I don't.

Solo play allows me to play as slow as I want, exploring different ideas and I am happy with my own company. I've slowly, over the years, realised that actual boardgaming with others, is not for me as I have a low attention span but enjoy complex mechanisms. I'm a risk taker but poor at evaluating the actual risk. This makes me a poor gamer but for solo gaming it makes no difference.

I've also become increasingly insular which, again, I don't think is a bad thing. Social interaction is not a thing for me anymore. I don't enjoy going out to parties here (although there are plenty of them) so I reserve my interactions to business where I effectively manage 9 people. They were bemused, initially, why I didn't do 'team building' exercises like other departments (basically parties to break the ice) or why I never turn up to business 'optional socials'. They are happy as long as I do my job effectively, which I do. They are constantly inviting me out to dinners, parties, weekend drinking trips to Dubai but they are all refused politely. This is completely different behaviour to when I was in my 30s but considerably less destructive.

I have come to abhor violence and cannot stand confrontations. I have always walked away from potential conflict situations and have never hit anyone in my life and have no intention of ever doing so. Essentially I'm an introvert which you wouldn't guess because it is sometimes masked by extrovert behaviour (or at least it used to be).

Solo gaming is absolutely the best option for my temperament. Jeff is right in one way. The company of others is not something I crave but I understand why others do crave this. Hence, I put myself in a completely different category of gamers that simply enjoy the solo experience more than playing with others. Perhaps it stems from my hatred of sport. Who knows...
Last edit: 05 Jan 2018 01:26 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
05 Jan 2018 07:55 #260256 by SuperflyPete
^^^

So, no more trips to the states for Trashfest?

More
05 Jan 2018 08:22 #260258 by ThirstyMan
Nope. Not in the near future at least.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds