October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

What was your most-played game of 2017 and WHY?

More
18 Jan 2018 10:46 #261344 by Cranberries
This is the opposite of the toads thread, which I am thoroughly enjoying.

So which game did you play the most in 2017, other than light fillers, and WHY did it hit the table so much?

(Extra points if you are playing a game that you hate but everyone else can't get enough of.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2018 10:54 #261348 by SuperflyPete
It has to be either Rolling Bones or OctoDice. The wife likes simple/ish dice games and both of these are our go-to “drinking whiskey, listening to tunes, and my fingers hurt from playing guitar” activities.

More
18 Jan 2018 10:55 #261350 by Michael Barnes
Definitely Cthulhu Wars, followed by 40k, Shadow War: Armageddon and Age of Sigmar.

On the kid front, it’s Ice Cool, Quest for El Dorado, Niagara, Ghostbusters: Protect the Barrier and Mechs vs. Minions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
18 Jan 2018 10:56 #261352 by hotseatgames
I'm going to guess that it was Cthulhu Wars. It hit the table several times in 2017 since it's a favorite among the group, and the guy who owns it has all of the factions (I think) so there is a lot of variety. He so far only has one of the newer maps, so there is more variety yet to come. Having played all of the factions, I think now I'm going to just focus on Black Goat and Ithaqua, in an attempt to master them.

More
18 Jan 2018 10:58 #261353 by quozl
Epic.

Because it's the most fun 2-player fighting card game I've played.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
18 Jan 2018 11:03 #261355 by Shellhead
Depends on what you mean by most.

Most plays: Camp Grizzly. Easy to setup and teach, easy to play, game takes about an hour. Great theme, good components, co-op and scales nicely up to six players. The game is very accessible but has enough depth to avoid playing like a light filler.

Most time spent playing: Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower. Easy to setup and teach, easy to play, great components, possibly one of the best dungeon crawl board game. After making tokens for my stripped (no minis) copy, I got in a few games early in 2017. Then Delobius of F:AT finally got all of his figures painted, plus some extras that matched up with the Chaos Adversaries expansion, so we played some more last month. Each quest takes 2 to 4 hours to play, so Silver Tower got a lot of table time.

Saltlands and Escape from 100 Million B.C. also got a fair amount of play, but fell short in terms of both number of games and quantity of time spent playing those games. All of my friends are interested in Saltlands, but the setup and teaching time sometimes keep it off the table. None of my friends hate Escape from One Million B.C., but then none of them like it enough to want to play it again.

More
18 Jan 2018 11:03 #261356 by Gary Sax
Fun, love reading these threads.

Mine is Harry Potter Hogwarts battle, my wife loves it and I think it's fine.

Second was Eldritch Horror which hit a high this year for me but has cooled just a little in the back half of the year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
18 Jan 2018 11:06 #261357 by RobertB
Terraforming Mars. My wife and I have played about 30 or 40 games by now. I like it fine, and she likes it a lot.

Pandemic: Legacy. Same thing - she likes it a lot, I like it too, so it gets on the table. She can't get into S2 though. Maybe I'll beg her some more, although TBH I'm not all that excited about it either.

More
18 Jan 2018 11:11 #261360 by dysjunct
Terraforming Mars for me too. Easy, fun, and unlike most engine games it doesn’t end right as it gets interesting.

More
18 Jan 2018 11:11 #261361 by charlest
Werewords is my most played game, which is funny because I didn't play it for the first time until mid November. Counting the first couple of weeks of 2018 I've played it more than 50 times.

Gloomhaven was my second most played game with 20 sessions, mostly solo. Enjoyed the heck out of it but I'm at a point where I think I will never play it again, mostly due to needing to solo other stuff and not having the time/space.

Secret Hitler was my third most played game. It's probably my favorite social deduction game at this point, narrowly surpassing One Night Ultimate Werewolf.

I played a ton of stuff this year. I played 13 games 10 or more times (including Cthulhu Wars, Tiefe Taschen, and a few other favorites).

More
18 Jan 2018 11:15 #261362 by san il defanso
I'm pretty sure it's Betrayal at House on the Hill. I played a couple times with my group in Texas. I thought, "I'd like to have that around," so I bought it about a year ago along with the Widow's Walk expansion. This coincided with a church game night I started among our college students, and it ended up being played just about every month after that. It also saw some action during my weekly game nights with many of the same people. I really like the game, so this worked out well for me. They were a good bunch too, because they didn't mind the occasional game that flopped.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
18 Jan 2018 11:17 #261363 by Matt Thrower
Because of the "innovation" tour I was doing last year, I spread myself quite thin and played lots of different games rather than focus on one or two. Going to be a bit of a narrower selection this year.

There were two that stood out though; Potion Explosion and Junk Art both saw a lot of play. Not hard to see why: short, family-friendly games that also have a decent slice of nerd appeal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
18 Jan 2018 11:21 #261365 by edulis
I have three:
X-wing remains my all time favorite game and I make an effort to play it. Also there is a pretty active community in the Twin Cities area, so finding tournaments / opponents is fairly easy. I don't have to teach it.
Twixt The old 3m game, my kids really like it and its quick.
Trains My wife and I played a lot of this and I taught my Sister-in-law and her boyfriend to play (non-gaming fisher / hunter type). They liked it so much they bought their own copy. So lots of plays at holiday gathering.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
18 Jan 2018 11:24 #261367 by RobertB
MattDP wrote:

There were two that stood out though; Potion Explosion and Junk Art both saw a lot of play. Not hard to see why: short, family-friendly games that also have a decent slice of nerd appeal.

Potion Explosion would be the #3 game that isn't Love Letter on my list. I was tempted to buy better marbles for it, because the cheapo ones in the game are pretty sad.

More
18 Jan 2018 11:35 #261368 by Da Bid Dabid
My three plays of TI 4 likely make it most played time wise.
Play wise I have no idea.. maybe Cthulhu Wars at like 7 plays or so?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.780 seconds