October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Maybe these FOMO folks are onto something?

More
15 Feb 2018 09:35 #263651 by Sagrilarus

Legomancer wrote: There are so many games out there that I can't imagine not having one and it causing an irreparable hole in my soul.

Amen to that, and I'll lean in further on your observation -- I have yet to see a game that isn't available in the aftermarket. If you want the game that damn much, pony up the $150 they're asking for it. It's only FOMO if you're actually missing out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2018 10:26 #263656 by Msample
I see a lot of whining about games being out of print and pleas for game companies to reprint it. Most of the time its not only available on the secondary market, the price is the same if not lower than if the game were to be reprinted. This is true esp with a lot of wargames. Sure there are exceptions - CASE BLUE being the obvious choice. Or an expansion deck of PAX RENAISSANCE going for like $70.

But the idiots asking for reprints of say most Avalon Hill stuff - go buy it secondhand. This holds true for the vast bulk of stuff out there. And with so much shit being pumped out via KS, the non KS non pimped out stuff will continue to be cheap to pick up on the secondary market most of the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
15 Feb 2018 10:44 #263658 by Michael Barnes
How about all of those times you get ahold of some old AH/SPI/whatever game, you excitedly get your gang to play it........and it is the only time the game sees the table for five years until you flip it.

The reality is that most groups will not play old games unless they are old games they already play.

Even the good ones, like Gunslinger or Legenf of Robin Hood.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Msample, Colorcrayons

More
15 Feb 2018 10:53 #263660 by Sagrilarus

Michael Barnes wrote: How about all of those times you get ahold of some old AH/SPI/whatever game, you excitedly get your gang to play it........and it is the only time the game sees the table for five years until you flip it.

The reality is that most groups will not play old games unless they are old games they already play.

Often that's the heart of the request. "I want to play Dune, but I want it to have thicker cardboard pieces, and I want pencils to come in the box so I don't have to have my own." The Euro revolution has really changed expectations of what a game should look like. Style over substance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
15 Feb 2018 11:08 - 15 Feb 2018 11:08 #263662 by repoman

Msample wrote: I see a lot of whining about games being out of print and pleas for game companies to reprint it. Most of the time its not only available on the secondary market, the price is the same if not lower than if the game were to be reprinted.

Yah, but I NEED it un-punched and in shrink!!!!!!!!

(Jesus, I hate those people.)
Last edit: 15 Feb 2018 11:08 by repoman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Feb 2018 12:01 #263666 by Msample

Michael Barnes wrote: How about all of those times you get ahold of some old AH/SPI/whatever game, you excitedly get your gang to play it........and it is the only time the game sees the table for five years until you flip it.

Friend of mine HATES Gunslinger. Here's his experience: " my only experience with Gunslinger was a "shoot out" scenario with about six folks at a Chitkickers meeting. Equipped with a rifle and a pistol, I was unable to get even one shot off in a two-hour span. Having had enough "fun" for one day, I decided to make my game exit when my turn came around by shooting myself (Always try to leave with style!). Despite numerous efforts, I was still unable to get my weapons to fire. I couldn't even shoot myself!

GUNSLINGER sounds good in concept, but like aerial combat games, when a game takes exponentially longer to play than the action its trying to replicate, it usually doesn't end up being that much fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
15 Feb 2018 12:16 #263668 by Shellhead
I've only played Gunslinger once, but enjoyed it. The one thing that really slows down the game is the slightly awkward hidden movement system. I don't remember how it worked, just that it slowed down the pace of the game.

More
15 Feb 2018 12:29 #263671 by Colorcrayons

I think that's quite true, especially in my case. If I don't have at least a cursory prior interest, or can be easily convinced I should try it, I snub my nose.

I feel I'm that way because there are so many gaming options. I can't play them all.

I don't think I'm alone in that. Which may be why it's difficult at times to get people to play a game I am particularly obsessed with.

(I will always love you, Wiz-War. Despite all the fun hating Philistines.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure

More
16 Feb 2018 03:25 #263718 by indianajens
I haven't played Gunslinger in years, but my group used to have a lot of fun with it. Yeah, it's a bit odd when the game takes longer to play than the reality it is trying to represent; it's like you are seeing a western in ultra slow-motion.

But for me, looking past the game's oddness and the time it took to play, the thing that stuck with me was how it always told a story: Hilarious stories of how the officer had come jumping through the saloon windows brandishing his saber, or how one character had been chasing another round the sheriff's office. We'd often spend as much time after a game talking about it than we had spent playing it. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
16 Feb 2018 09:46 #263724 by RobertB
A long time ago I introduced a Euro player to Gunslinger. We had a three-way gunfight planned. So I explain how the pulsed action cards work, etc. We set up his guy (by far the worst part of the game), set up the boards, etc. Two turns in, he gets shot at. Lucky card draw, and he's dead. Then player #2 threw a fit when I shot him through the bar, and stomped off in a huff. Note: cover and concealment are not the same thing. The Euro player had decided that he'd had enough, and would stick to Thurn and Taxis.

More
16 Feb 2018 09:53 #263726 by RobertB
indianajens wrote:

I haven't played Gunslinger in years, but my group used to have a lot of fun with it. Yeah, it's a bit odd when the game takes longer to play than the reality it is trying to represent; it's like you are seeing a western in ultra slow-motion.

AH's Gladiator was the same way. Each round was a couple of seconds.

My brother and I played campaigns in it. It didn't pay to get too attached to gladiators in that game.

More
16 Feb 2018 10:36 #263733 by Sagrilarus

indianajens wrote: I haven't played Gunslinger in years, but my group used to have a lot of fun with it. Yeah, it's a bit odd when the game takes longer to play than the reality it is trying to represent; it's like you are seeing a western in ultra slow-motion.

But for me, looking past the game's oddness and the time it took to play, the thing that stuck with me was how it always told a story: Hilarious stories of how the officer had come jumping through the saloon windows brandishing his saber, or how one character had been chasing another round the sheriff's office. We'd often spend as much time after a game talking about it than we had spent playing it. :)

That's the sign of a good game. If there's a good post-game show, it's a good game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds