October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Can anyone recommend BGGCon?

More
05 Mar 2018 22:21 #264618 by Disgustipater
A friend of mine has gone a few times and said it's basically just people playing games. He asked if I wanted to go this year. I seem to remember some of you have gone before. Is it worth attending? If it's just 4 days of straight gaming, that sounds pretty decent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2018 22:37 - 05 Mar 2018 22:41 #264620 by san il defanso
I had a good time the one time I went. I was local, so I didn't need to travel far, and my ticket was comped (I was helping a friend who was a vendor) so I did the whole thing on the cheap. I should say, I attended with a lot of my very good friends, so for me it was kind of like a four-day game night with my favorite people. I ended up gaming with people I game with anyway, which is just fine, but at the same time, why pay money for this?

The thing I liked best was the opportunity to play longer games with people who are 1) really experienced or 2) really motivated to learn. My one time there I got to play two games of Dune, and the single best game of Duel of Ages II I've yet played. I also ran a really fun session of Shadows of Malice with a lot of people who had never played before, and it was great. There were some friends in these sessions, but largely it was composed of new friends, and that was a really positive experience. Everyone knew what they were getting into, and no one griped about the game length or complexity.

If you're into playing the new games from Essen, that's an option. But be warned there's kind of a big hullabaloo to play games that people don't really know a lot about anyway. I mostly bypassed this. The gaming library is generally very complete. You should bring games you know you'll be leading, but otherwise we were able to find pretty much whatever we wanted to play from there. The vendors were fine, although that's not really my bag.

I also did the math trade and the Virtual Flea Market, which were both ENORMOUS ordeals. I did get some decent stuff from them, but trying to mess with the lists on BGG is really a hassle I think.

Overall I had a lot of fun with it, but the company I kept was a big part of that. I'm at a point now where that's a lot more important than access to new games or wild events, so I don't think I'd go back without them. But yeah, it's definitely focused on board games, and all genres too.

Finding places to eat at conventions is always an issue, but it's worth pointing out that if you can get off-site my favorite BBQ in Dallas is not too far off, if you're the carnivorous type.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2018 22:41 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Disgustipater

More
06 Mar 2018 09:04 #264637 by charlest
It is just 4 days of playing games. There's vendor halls but it's nothing like Gen Con in that regard.

I think BGG Con is just ok. If you have people you're going with or meeting up with, you'll have a good time. I've never had luck finding randoms to play with there. Everyone wants to play the new Essen releases and it feels like mostly Euros.

I've enjoyed Geekway a hell of a lot more (BGG Con feels like a slightly bigger Geekway), but that is likely because I know a ton of people there and always have a group willing to play something I'm interested in.

More
06 Mar 2018 09:08 #264639 by Sagrilarus
If you have a group of friends you can do this a lot cheaper on your own. You won't have the sales floor but that's likely not your prime reason for attending.

I've never been to BGG.con so take it for what's it's worth, but a mini con with six or eight of your buddies in a vacation rental on the off-season can be dirt cheap and a lot of fun. Mine has been running for five or six years now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gregarius

More
06 Mar 2018 09:13 #264641 by Shellhead

Sagrilarus wrote: If you have a group of friends you can do this a lot cheaper on your own. You won't have the sales floor but that's likely not your prime reason for attending.

I've never been to BGG.con so take it for what's it's worth, but a mini con with six or eight of your buddies in a vacation rental on the off-season can be dirt cheap and a lot of fun. Mine has been running for five or six years now.

That is probably how some of these conventions started.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
06 Mar 2018 10:53 #264667 by Disgustipater
I’d only be going with the one friend, and he happens to be the one who likes playing new games every week. When he told me about going last year, I do remember him talking about being excited to try new games. Which means he and I probably won’t be interested in playing the same games. And if the majority of games skew towards the euro side, I think you guys are right in that it is probably not what I am looking for. Thanks for the input.

More
06 Mar 2018 11:10 #264668 by Gregarius
I've been every year. It is something I really look forward to. Here are the reasons to go, in my personal preference order:
1) Playing games with friends - I used to live in L.A. where I had a LOT of gaming buddies. I'm back in Houston now, and others have moved to different places. This is one of the only times I get to see them, talk, hang out, and of course play some games. Plus, I've made new friends from the Con every year.
2) Playing games for four straight days - I don't get to attend any other game conventions, so this is a big one. I love that I can find the right people to play the right games, and have as much time as I want to play as long a game as I want. Basically, what san il defanso said.
3) Playing new releases - This has become less of a draw for me with each year, but it's still nice to "try before you buy." A couple of guys in my local group buy just about everything anyway, though, so it doesn't matter that much.
4) Everything else - I really don't care about the vendors, the exhibitors, the designers, the prototypes, or any of that other stuff. I do the flea market every year, but san's right about it being a big hassle. All those things are a big draw for a lot of the attendees, though.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.372 seconds