October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Crayon Rail Games....

More
06 Feb 2008 23:58 #2129 by mikoyan
Not quite sure where to post this one, so I'll post it in the miscallaneous area. One of the complaints that I've seen about Crayon games is that they basically amount to multiplayer solitaire. The only way that you can mess with other players is by connecting to cities where there are rare commodities or something like that. Even that isn't really screwing with them because they can just pay to ride your rails.

I like the cargo mechanism in Distant Seas where you have a number of cargoes showing. The first one to make it to a particular part can grab the cargo. If I remember correctly, there is an optional bidding mechanism where you in effect charge less to deliver the cargo. As such, a rule I've been thinking about.

Instead of everyone getting their three loads, maybe 3 loads for each player go up in a pool of loads. The first person to make the delivery gets the money for the load. Once a load is delivered that card is replaced. If the replacement card is an event, the person can play it to affect another player or he can save it for a later point. Unless it's one of the events that affect everyone.

What do you guys think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2008 00:09 #2130 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Crayon Rail Games....
I like these games. Hmm. Actually, I like Eurorails. The Australian Rails map sucks. As does Japan Rails. As does the US one. And that one with dragons and shit is fucking dumb. But Eurorails is nice. There's a pretty well designed risk/reward system is heading off to remote Glasgow, say, or up to Scandinavia. In addition to the city-lockout you mention, there's also the fact that your track takes up space that no one else can use. There's one nice route through the Alps--everything else is fucking expensive as all get out. I played Eurorails dozens and dozens of times, and my strategy of track minimization and my closest competitor's strategy of fastest route not matter what almost always ended up close. There were other players, but they would lose to either of use almost every time. Eurorails is a good game--there's a free Windows client for it somewhere, just fire that up and try it out.

More
07 Feb 2008 10:30 #2153 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Crayon Rail Games....
Don't get me wrong, I like train games but I think there should be more opportunities for screwage. That's why I think that instead of each player have a certain set of loads, there is a pool of loads.

More
07 Feb 2008 10:41 #2155 by Michael Barnes
I've never played any crayon rail games but I'd like to try EMPIRE BUILDER...I was interested in IRON DRAGON, but then I realized how stupid the idea was...I'm going to see if I can find that Eurorails client and try it.

I just learned 1830 via the PC game...it's a pretty damn good game, plenty of opportunity to screw other players. Face to face I can see it getting gpretty nasty.

More
07 Feb 2008 11:16 #2164 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Crayon Rail Games....
Michael Barnes wrote:

I've never played any crayon rail games but I'd like to try EMPIRE BUILDER...I was interested in IRON DRAGON, but then I realized how stupid the idea was...I'm going to see if I can find that Eurorails client and try it.

I just learned 1830 via the PC game...it's a pretty damn good game, plenty of opportunity to screw other players. Face to face I can see it getting gpretty nasty.

I've never played Empire Builder, but I've played Russia Rails, EuroRails, Japan Rails, Australia Rails, and Iron Dragon. Of the bunch, I like Iron Dragon the best because it gives the greatest flexibility with the addition of foremen and ships. With the ships, you can conceivably deliver some higher paying loads early in the game. The fantasy setting's not too bad, I guess. Maybe at some point they could make a game called Global Rails where they incorporate some of the ideas from Iron Dragon. Russia Rails is not bad in that it has some different variations on the loads. There are some cards that come up where anyone can deliver the load (Like First person to deliver 2 fish to Murmansk gets 25million). I like Japan Rails the least because there are some pretty narrow corridors and I'm not familiar with Japanese geography, so I have a hard time of finding some of the cities.

One of these years, I'd like to try Lunar Rails.

More
07 Feb 2008 11:53 #2170 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Crayon Rail Games....
I played one of the crayon rail games once. It was mildly interesting at first, but the absence of meaningful interaction with the other players made for a quiet and boring experience. The only pickup-and-deliver game that I am always willing to play is The Roaring Twenties, where the "pickup" involves committing armed robbery, and the "delivery" is getting back to your hideout before the cops catch you. Besides theme, the big attraction of this game is the car chases. Transporting goods is boring unless somebody is trying to chase you down and put you in jail.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds