October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

GIMPshop

More
21 Feb 2008 15:41 #3136 by Shellhead
GIMPshop was created by Shellhead
I recently downloaded GIMPshop so I could work on a couple of gaming projects just for fun. It's a freeware version of PhotoShop, and even less user-friendly than PhotoShop, from what I hear. I have zero artistic skills, and can barely draw a straightline with a ruler, but I should be able to get by with GIMPshop since I am just manipulating photos and artwork that I downloaded.

Is anyone here a GIMPshop user? I have some specific questions, and I figure it may be easier to cover them here with people who are more familiar with the results that I want.

Both projects involve unofficial expansions to Vampire: the Eternal Struggle. We have an active enough local group to make it worth my effort.

The first project is based on a fairly large set of vampires (67) created by some players in Sao Paulo, Brazil, based on their rpg campaign. They did a great job of creating nice-looking crypt cards with some interesting new abilities, and now I want to add some additional library cards to convey more of the feel of the city and the campaign. When I'm done, I'm going to send off the results to my Brazilian contact, and also hold a draft tournament for local players.

The second project is ridiculously ambitious. This guy designed a huge expansion (420 cards) for V:tes that brings the Kindred of the East into the game. The set appears to be very balanced within itself and also with the main game, and introduces just enough new rules to convey the differences of the eastern kindred. He did all the rules and card text, and now I'm going to do the physical layouts of the cards. In the end, I will be sending him a copy of my finished work, and then holding a draft tournament for local players. And maybe once in a while after that, people can play those decks in just for fun play, like when they sometimes let me play my Create-A-Clan decks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2008 15:48 #3137 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re:GIMPshop
I've used GIMP and Photoshop, but I've not heard of GIMPshop? They both have pros and con's. they do differently mainly when it comes to transparencies and filters. Not sure which one I like better. I guess I should google GIMPshop.

More
21 Feb 2008 16:54 #3144 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:GIMPshop
You'll be fine. There are some nice tutorials that come with it--you'll need that to get a feel for Layers if that's a new concept for you. You should know that GIMP does not support CMYK, which is a deal-breaker if you want stuff professionally printed, by and large.

More
21 Feb 2008 17:17 #3148 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:GIMPshop
Once frustrating thing about GIMPshop so far is the poor functionality of basic functions like moving an image, changing the size of an image, and cropping an image. All of those tasks are ridiculously easy in Excel, which is where I have done all of my prototype formatting in the past. Where Excel fails is the manipulation of layers, it can only do very basic effects like making a certain layer the top or the bottom. Any layers in between are difficult to move.

So I've been doing some basic image manipulation in Excel, dumping the results into Paint, then converting the Paint file into a jpeg. If I need to do anything involving layers or filters or editing at the pixel level, I import that jpeg into GIMPshop and go to work.

One really bad feature with both Excel and GIMPshop is the text editor. Really barebones, and lacking the ability to shift from one font to another within a given text box.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds