October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Z-man sold to Filosofia

More
28 Jun 2011 14:33 #98685 by El Cuajinais
Congratulations Zev, a major win for you since you can concentrate on the fun stuff and made good money. I'm glad you haven't given up on Earth Reborn. It is currently ranked very highly in board game geek, and the fact that you did a large print run means it can be sold at a very reasonable price to the consumer.

This is the perfect game for ex-tabletop gamers, and I know there are many of those here in F:AT. Just like a tabletop game, in this game both players set up the terrain, build their squad, and choose equipment, and everything is based on points to even things out. Only the ER system is a lot simpler, so both players do this as part of the normal setup, there is no need for spreadsheets or Army Builder software. Each team also has random secret missions, so unlike the TT games I've played, there are many objectives you need to accomplish, and many objectives you need to prevent your opponent from accomplishing. Of course at the outset of a match you don't know what your opponent's objectives are, and that's where spying, jamming their radio, capturing and torturing come in play. This is something I think no TT game has. Ditto for interacting differently many pieces of terrain.

Superflynt,
You are located in the US right? If so, PM me your mailing address and I'll order a new copy to your door. This will be a lent copy for you to ship back to me, at my cost, whenever the hell you feel like during 2012. My interest in this is that you really put this game through its paces, (hence the 2012 return date) and write your honest opinions about it. It looks like you've played quite a few squad based tactical games so you have good background to compare. This game needs a shot in the arm and you just may be the person to do that. (If it turns out you enjoy it as much as I do).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2011 14:47 #98686 by tcho-tcho
In case you haven't read Zev's post on BGG, here's the direct link: www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7007914#7007914 – worth checking.

It wouldn't have made sense to buy the company and fire the guy who made it all happen. I suppose there would have been other means to just acquire the rights to Agricola and Pandemic. Now if they are smart they will push Zev towards amerithrash and japanese card games. And they should trust me because I'm completely unbiased.

My wishlist:

- Scorched Earth. As soon as possible.
– Merchants & Marauders & More (the expansion), with lots of AT goodies.
– Earth Reborn. Redesigned by someone with artistic taste. (And people don't understand why it fumbled. It's not that hard, folks.)

Thanks and Congrats!

More
28 Jun 2011 15:30 #98688 by Ska_baron
Since I can't get BGG at work and will forget at home, can I get a pity repost of Zev's info?

And big congrats to Zev. Nice, nice guy with the rare combination of good business sense and a reckless adoration of fun games.

More
28 Jun 2011 15:36 #98689 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re: Z-man sold to Filosofia
It was pretty hard to get at ER in the Netherlands through regular retail.

1. It missed Essen. I would have taken it home from there, no lash batted
2. Since then I've only seen it in one Dutch game store, but decided to wait until it hit my FLGS, it never did
3. Neither is it carried by all Dutch online retailers
4. I'm was not too keen on ordering it abroad due to price + postage.
5. Maybe Tanga changes all that but I'm reluctant to support Tanga against FLGS and Dutch retailers
6. My collection is rather full and I have lots of tactical mini stuff I can play

adds up to me not having bought ER despite having high hopes for it. And I really dig that Zev is putting this one out. With Asmodee, AEG and FFG he is really doing a lot for ameritrash and hybrids: Tales of the Arabian Nights and Road Kill Rally are good additions to my other games. But I was rather lucky to pick them up (TotAN at my FLGS, RKR at another).

So congrats to Zev for getting rid of the business bit and being able to concentrate on the games. I hope he can convince his new bosses to go out on a limb again, like he did with ER.

More
28 Jun 2011 15:46 #98690 by tcho-tcho

Ska_baron wrote: Since I can't get BGG at work and will forget at home, can I get a pity repost of Zev's info?

Zev on BGG wrote: So the news came out!

Since I'm just back from Origins, I apologize if I don't answer every question or give every detail required. First, let me quell some negative rumors that I kind of figured would be percolated.

1) 2011 was probably going to turn out to be my best year. I was not in danger of failing at all. My post about too many games was a question I was curious about, but I pretty much had the answer before I posted it, and the answer was that my games appeal to so many types of gamers that it was not too many games. I just was going to make sure that 15 games don't show up all in the same month!

1a) In relation to the above: I did not seek to sell the company. But I have always joked that I was for sale if someone came with the right deal: Filosofia did.

2) I tanga'd some stuff for marketing purposes and to move older product. I'm sure you can figure out which is which. I did not need to do it, but wanted to - and earned some nice coin from it. I was doing this before the sale was even contemplated.

3) If there were no news about this deal the change would be practically invisible: that's how things are not changing. What is at the printer is coming out: Walking Dead, Guards, Guards, Undermining, Ninjato, Dark Minions, Wasabi reprint, Neuroshima Hex reprint, etc.
What other games I mentioned in my newsletter will be considered for this and next year.

The positives:
1) Filosofia will handle lots of the business end of things and I will be staying on to concentrate on finding the cool games. That and going to conventions. So you'll still be seeing me at shows and you will still be seeing cool games coming out.

2) Because now I have a strong support team working with me, more things will get done like more marketing materials, better flow of product, etc.

3) Things will be status quo with the company. The logo will be used, the philosophy of printing cool games will be held, communication with customers and fans will continue to be strong, customer service will still be top notch - I think everything you guys have come to like about Z-Man will still be there and I feel it will just get better.

So basically, it is a deal that came to me, that I liked, that will create a near-invisible change for the better. And I'll be with the company driving it to greater success. What more could be asked for?

Thanks to everyone for your support over the years.

Zev Shlasinger, Consultant
Z-Man Games, Inc.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, Dair

More
28 Jun 2011 20:55 #98709 by dclose
Replied by dclose on topic Re: Z-man sold to Filosofia

Zev on BGG wrote: 2) I tanga'd some stuff for marketing purposes and to move older product. I'm sure you can figure out which is which. I did not need to do it, but wanted to - and earned some nice coin from it. I was doing this before the sale was even contemplated.

(Emphasis mine, above.) I ordered 3 copies of Santiago on Tanga's recent sale, yet never received them. Just today got a note from Tanga, today, saying that the games had disappeared from the shipper's dock, and that the shipper would be filing a claim of missing parcel with UPS, plus they do not have replacements for these particular games, so I was out of luck. Sounds a little strange to me... I hope this type of thing doesn't happen too often. Either way, no games for me!

More
29 Jun 2011 00:14 #98714 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re: Z-man sold to Filosofia

dclose wrote:

Zev on BGG wrote: 2) I tanga'd some stuff for marketing purposes and to move older product. I'm sure you can figure out which is which. I did not need to do it, but wanted to - and earned some nice coin from it. I was doing this before the sale was even contemplated.

(Emphasis mine, above.) I ordered 3 copies of Santiago on Tanga's recent sale, yet never received them. Just today got a note from Tanga, today, saying that the games had disappeared from the shipper's dock, and that the shipper would be filing a claim of missing parcel with UPS, plus they do not have replacements for these particular games, so I was out of luck. Sounds a little strange to me... I hope this type of thing doesn't happen too often. Either way, no games for me!

Yikes!

Tanga has been a fairly shitty outfit, but they do offer some good deals from time to time. However the great deal on Earth Reborn (being like 60%+ off MSRP) was enough to get me to pull the trigger on ordering from them.

Although I got the game relatively unblemished (a smushed corner was the extent of the damage) it was no thanks to them--the game was shoved in a box slightly bigger than itself, and shipped, just like that. No packing, no protection, nada.

Plus it took like two+ weeks to get here.

So unless there's another massive, insane deal like that, I won't be ordering much from them. I think I can pass up on the $10 water guns or the $20 hydrating fans or whatever.

More
29 Jun 2011 01:48 #98717 by Stephen Avery
I've ordered tons of stuff from tanga and never had any problems. I can't remember the exact details, but Tanga more or less sells and organizes the product. The actual product is shipped from the company represented.

Steve"muddling truths"Avery

More
29 Jun 2011 02:05 - 29 Jun 2011 02:06 #98718 by dclose
Replied by dclose on topic Re: Z-man sold to Filosofia
I'm just disappointed to be told the news after Santiago was pulled from the Second Chance area of the site, where it's been sitting for the past few weeks. Tanga wrote telling me that I have a full refund, and have already credited me, so no problems there. I just wish they had told me earlier and maybe I could've gotten in on the second chance deal instead. Oh well, easy come, easy go.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2011 02:06 by dclose. Reason: grammar

More
29 Jun 2011 03:59 #98720 by daveroswell
I haven't got my copy of Earth Reborn yet. Here's hoping.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds