October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Fantasy Flight RPGs

More
29 Aug 2008 09:18 #10742 by dan daly
Fantasy Flight RPGs was created by dan daly
So are any of the Fantasy Flight rpgs any good?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2008 09:35 #10744 by dan daly
Replied by dan daly on topic Re:Fantasy Flight RPGs
In particular I'm wondering about Spellslinger and Redline, but would be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on other FFG rpgs as well.

More
29 Aug 2008 09:43 #10747 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Fantasy Flight RPGs
Grimm looks pretty interesting, but I never played it.

More
29 Aug 2008 10:02 #10752 by Citadel
Replied by Citadel on topic Re:Fantasy Flight RPGs
Blue Planet is awesome but I don't think they make it anymore. It should still be fairly easy to pick up. Looking on the internet, I see another company, Red Brick, has picked it up. It looks like they will be doing straight reprints, which is good news as the books have Fanatasy Flight production quality and are very nice indeed.
www.blueplanet-rpg.com/

The Midnight and Grimm d20 settings both appeal to me but I haven't got either of the books. They have WFRP and Dark Heresy now too. It will be interesting to see where they take them.

More
29 Aug 2008 10:04 #10753 by Spinrad
Replied by Spinrad on topic Re:Fantasy Flight RPGs
I picked up a set of the "Horizon" books from FFG a few months back when they were on sale for $5 a piece and I don't regret the purchase at all. The quality definitely differs a little bit between the individual books in the line, but by and large I think they are pretty solid.

You're not going to get anything that is going to revolutionize RPGing for you, but I think the books are generally well done. You're going to get about 60ish pages of mostly crunch, with new base classes, some new feats, equipment and whatnot. The worlds aren't super fleshed out, but that stuff is (for me anyway) the easiest to fill in.

Spellslinger has an interesting "Brand" mechanism that it uses for spellcasters, and the magic system is organized around feats. I haven't played them yet, but reading things over it looks like a cool system. Plus, I am a sucker for wierd West type games.

Redline has, instead of races, "background" types, which mostly reflect subtle ways your character has been affected (mutated in some cases) by the "Creep," which is the catchall term for Radioactivity/plague/whatever caused the Apocalypse. The classes definitely have a Road Warrior feel to them, and there are some driving rules for road duels.

I think both books are pretty solid. They majority of the art is good, if not spectacular, and the mechanics seem to make sense. I will say that I don't know how much staying power the games have due to the small sizes of the books. You might need to convert new feats and magic items/tech and stuff for yourself after a while of running a game.

I for one would have bought full worldbooks for both of the settings, and I think that they work pretty well within the confines of the "horizon" concept as FFG branded them. They are cool for diversions from other games, but might take a little more work on the part of the DM to make fully fleshed out worlds.

Also, if you have major problems with the 3.5 d20 system then you'll see them reflected here, and like most OGL products you need a PBH to play. If you have specific questions I'll be glad to answer them if I can.

More
29 Aug 2008 10:13 #10757 by dan daly
Replied by dan daly on topic Re:Fantasy Flight RPGs
Thanks Spinrad.

I'm not a 3.x guy, so I was primarily looking at these as something to get as source material to run with a different set of rules. From your description (heavy on the rules, light on the setting) it doesn't sound like these would be my best bang for the buck. I know they redid Grimm as a standalone game with it's own rules set. Have they done that with any of the other Horizon games or are they planning on doing so?

More
29 Aug 2008 10:25 #10761 by Spinrad
Replied by Spinrad on topic Re:Fantasy Flight RPGs
As far as I know Grimm is the only one that they have built into its own RPG. It's a shame too because I really think there are some interesting things in most of the line. I mean, Virtual is a TRON rpg for god's sake!.

More
29 Aug 2008 19:15 #10797 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:Fantasy Flight RPGs
I bought the First Edition of Midnight a couple of years ago during the $5 FFG sale. It's the D20/3.5 rules system though. The book itself was probably 90 world-story percent content and 10 percent rules.

It's a pretty cool setting, it's kind of like a "What-If" of Lord of the Rings, in this case the question of What-If Suaron recovered the ring and conquered Middle-Earth. In Midnight there's a dark god who has conquered the majority of the world. The human, gnomes and halfling populations are all under subjugation. Only the elven and dwarven kingdoms are still resisting. The evil guys are constantly seeking out sources of magic and magical weapons/items. So magic in the setting is really rare. You won't be constantly tossing aside +1 items because your pack is full. Even the slightest enchanted weapon is a great treasure. In fact, weapons are banned and the punishment is death for carrying one. So weapons of themselves are worth a lot. The common folk look at "heroes" with disdain, all they see are troublemakers, who once they leave town, the town will be punished brutally by occupying forces.

Heroes aren't expect to ever "win" the game. You won't overthrow the villain, you ever fight the evil god or even his lieutenants. All you can hope for is to push the good fight a little longer, and hopefully shine a little light in the darkness.

It also has some cool "half breed" characters. There's half elf/half halflings, half dwarf/half gnome and half dwarf/half orcs.

As cool as it sounds, I never played it though. But I really liked the setting.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.307 seconds