October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Racism and Sexism as Gaming Culture

More
29 Feb 2012 14:14 #117975 by wolvendancer
I suggested in the thread about Bioware 'writer' Jennifer Hepler that two different, though overlapping, groups of gamers were acting like asshats in their attacks on Helper: those with honest criticisms of Hepler's work and the current direction of Bioware games, and a very ugly, generalized, group of racists and sexists that seethes in the cracks of the video gaming community. Well, the latter has struck again:

penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-articl...de-of-fighting-games

Listen to the links. Really, listen to them. There may be people that can listen to that shit without wanting to curbstomp the little sexist prick saying those things, but I ain't one of them. And setting aside the very literal abuse that's going on - setting aside the bullshit argument that 'this is part of our culture' - it's the victimhood that gets me. These people are very literally saying, 'The racist and sexist abuse is part of culture, and it's our right to say it, and we are so put upon when others suggest this is wrong.' This is the very edge of the victimhood-of-the-powerful so common in America. You all know the drill: "You know who the real minorities are? The Whites/Christians/Rich etc etc etc."
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Feb 2012 14:44 - 29 Feb 2012 14:44 #117977 by Dair
Wow. Just wow. That is insane. I don't wish anything bad on anyone, but if I ever start doing it, that guy Aris may be at the top of my list.
Last edit: 29 Feb 2012 14:44 by Dair.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fallen

More
29 Feb 2012 14:54 #117978 by ubarose
I would really like to see this discussion happen. However, as a member of this community I would like to request a couple of ground rules.

Please don't call each other ugly names
Please don't troll each other
Please don't bully or dog pile each other
Please step away from the key board if you feel that your anger is getting the better of you
Please keep in mind that anything you type here will NOT change other people's deep set beliefs
Please don't type drunk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, DeletedUser, madwookiee, SuperflyPete, Fallen

More
29 Feb 2012 15:19 #117979 by Matt Thrower
I first heard about this on No High Scores. I refer you to my comments on the article there:

www.nohighscores.com/2012/02/29/sexism-f...s-and-jet-set-radio/
The following user(s) said Thank You: wolvendancer

More
29 Feb 2012 15:26 #117980 by SuperflyPete
That guy is a real piece of shit. The idea that in order to compete, you have to be a total, complete wanker, is beyond ridiculous. You don't see other professional athletes acting that way, and when they do, they're reprimanded or publicly humiliated.

Disgusting. Everyone on the planet should ostracize him and his kind.

• Steve Weeks
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Feb 2012 15:50 #117982 by Steve Weeks
Replied by Steve Weeks on topic Re: Racism and Sexism as Gaming Culture
This is the result of spending too much time playing videogames and not enough time developing social skills. You see the same stuff in the boardgame realm. Who remembers the Magic the Gathering girl? Go look at any photo with an attractive girl on BGG and look at the comments.

This is a result also of bad parenting. The parents should have taken the Xbox away from this guy along time ago. The fact that he is good enough to compete in a tournament translates into too much time on the Xbox. This is how the Manchild comes into being. No doubt this guy still lives with his parents.

More
29 Feb 2012 16:16 #117983 by Disgustipater
He posted an apology that isn't really an apology:

www.twitlonger.com/show/g65iqn

More
29 Feb 2012 16:23 #117984 by SaMoKo
Is there even a fighting game community? I've never heard of it before and I doubt few have outside of some tiny socially stunted group of nerds. People just play these games for fun, and only a very small minority will care about the memes or culture that surround this shit. Capcom or whoever would be right to just kick the jackasses out, wash their hands, and call it a day. Then again, this is the company that made all of their female fighting characters fight in lingerie.

How is this even a debate? Are the really people sticking up for this crap outside of that Aris putz?

Never stop drunkposting :420:

More
29 Feb 2012 16:25 #117985 by SuperflyPete
That's STONEDPOSTING.

And I'd really love to see a brawl break out. Imagine that moron's surprise when he tries to do a Guile uppercut and no flames appear or when he cups his hands together to shoot a Hoooy Rooken fireball and nothing comes out. Shit, I should go to an arcade and START a nerdfight just to tape it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
29 Feb 2012 16:26 #117986 by VonTush
There will always be idiots in this world. The sad fact is this particular idiot was placed in a leadership position and the mouthpiece for his team. To a limited extent I blame Capcom for not nipping this in the bud sooner.

More
29 Feb 2012 16:31 #117987 by SuperflyPete
You know what? I'm not sure it's "Racism And Sexism" as much as bullying in general. The key to bullies is that they poke until they find the soft spot and then start jabbing. I think this is just that.

Take a look at these guys playing a game...the way they interact:

I've seen this before a lot, back when I was in my teens. People would flip out over "cheaping" at Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter (backing an enemy into the corner and repeatedly buffeting them with combinations) and it was always a yelling match. I think it just comes down to bullying in general. If a guy was gay, the barbs would be homophobic. If the guy was fat, it would be fat jokes. If it was known that the guy's mom was dead, it would be yo mamma jokes.

(Enter Ron Perlman Voice)
Bullies. Bullies never change.

More
29 Feb 2012 16:34 - 29 Feb 2012 16:34 #117988 by wadenels

Aris' apology wrote: The debate I was in was with a person who supported professional leagues, who have intent to censor the community to make it more accessible. I think the sink or swim mentality is something that defined our culture, and if that succeeds it removes something which has been important to help create some of the best fighting game players of our time.

Because good players can't rise to the top without harassment, ridicule, and vitriol. Right. Sounds like insecurity to me. Insults and abuse keep the "community" smaller. Get rid of it and the community might grow. If the community grows, Aris and his team might find out they're not the elite fighting gamers they thought they were.
Last edit: 29 Feb 2012 16:34 by wadenels.

More
29 Feb 2012 16:37 #117989 by Rliyen
On a related note, there's a website that I was made aware of called www.notinthekitchenanymore.com

It chronicles a female gamer, who plays CoD, and gives examples of shit she has to put up with by sexist gamers. I read a bit before I had to calm down, and not go on a Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back rampage to beat the shit out of them.

Man, I hate my gender's population sometimes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, wolvendancer, Camshaft

More
29 Feb 2012 16:39 - 29 Feb 2012 16:42 #117990 by OldHippy

wolvendancer wrote: These people are very literally saying, 'The racist and sexist abuse is part of culture, and it's our right to say it, and we are so put upon when others suggest this is wrong.'

It is their right to say it, assuming the country they live in gives them that right (since "right" is a legal term and not some god given ability) and doesn't have hate speech laws like we do in Canada. But regardless, I believe they should be allowed to say what they like anyway.

HOWEVER.. there is no reason to feel "put upon" when others suggest it is wrong because if you want the right to say any shit that appears in your brain without having to hold back then you have to give the same right to others, essentially allowing them to say your an idiot, or hateful or a virgin teen with no social skills etc, etc... You can't have both.

Allowing the culture at large to have this conversation, even in this low brow way, means that the culture itself will decide what is and is not acceptable behavior. If we shun it too much it will become harder to find and if we don't shun it enough then it could become too popular a mind set. How the community moves forward from here will be very telling.

We get the society we deserve.

All that said I stay very aware that if I participate in the larger internet community then all kinds of shitty things can happen and I don't know how many Jessie Slaughters we have to have in order for people to see this. Hopefully this woman will post anonymously from here on out, that's nothing more than a temporary solution but it's all we have sometimes.
Last edit: 29 Feb 2012 16:42 by OldHippy.

More
29 Feb 2012 16:46 #117991 by mikecl
The thing that struck me most is the guy who said racism and sexism is part of the fighting community. If you don't like onions,then get your sandwich without onions.

I played Call of Duty for awhile and Battlefield 2 with workmates for a year and he's right there is a certain mindset in the fighting community. I'm all for fantasy and living the dream but it's hilarious how these idiots pushing buttons on a couch are talking smack like they're actually soldiers.

If they play the game long enough to get really good, they're likely overweight and out of shape too.

T-Bag anyone lately? Fuck get a grip.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.386 seconds