October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Racism and Sexism as Gaming Culture

More
01 Mar 2012 01:52 #118041 by tscook
Whenever I say fuck I'm embracing my heritage and celebrating one of the oldest words in the English language.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wolvendancer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2012 02:01 #118042 by SaMoKo
If I had a nickle for every guy that threatened to shoot me irl because I blew up and/or stole their shit in Eve, I would be a few dollars richer by now. I could at least buy a loaf of bread with all that sweet cash. I don't really know how these people think they're going to do that exactly, but whatever.

Honestly, the whole Internet Tough Guy approach of going on about guns and beatings will only draw griefers like moths to a flame. It usually signals a massive meltdown in the making.

More
01 Mar 2012 02:17 #118045 by OldHippy

SaMoKo wrote: If I had a nickle for every guy that threatened to shoot me irl because I blew up and/or stole their shit in Eve

... you'd be making money in a very weird way.

More
01 Mar 2012 02:26 #118048 by Ancient_of_MuMu
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Fallen

More
01 Mar 2012 02:36 #118049 by SaMoKo

JonJacob wrote:

SaMoKo wrote: If I had a nickle for every guy that threatened to shoot me irl because I blew up and/or stole their shit in Eve

... you'd be making money in a very weird way.

We all have a dream, but I won't quit my day job for Eve just yet. I'd have to be pretty dumb to, as a fairly specific example, quit a very lucrative job as a lawyer to grief people as a CEO in a video game as a lifestyle whilst in my mid thirties.

I also know Shaolin monk ninjutsu and will king fu anyone in the eyeball who tries to shoot me.

More
01 Mar 2012 02:55 #118050 by wolvendancer
Jur, you are two parts right and ten parts so very wrong. You are right that this isn't an issue of 'decorum' or 'class', and that such notions often breed more problems than they solve. You are very, very wrong, though, to think that's what's going on here. There's nothing 'gruff yet loveable' about gendered and racialized hate speech. Nothing.

More
01 Mar 2012 04:56 #118056 by Delobius
This is an interesting discussion, but one should be careful about drawing conclusions about the level of civility amongst gamers from the niche-of-a-niche community of fighting games.

When Street Fighter IV came out in 2008, I tried to get in to the local fighting game scene - I bought an arcade stick, played online, met up with local guys, surfed shoryuken.com...and discovered that I wanted no part of that community.

For some reason, fighting games are, in general, a magnet for thugs, wannabe tough guys, and huge egos. Especially at the highest level of competition, there is little class; indeed, the most popular figures are little more than trolls. (See Justin Wong.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Rliyen

More
01 Mar 2012 05:11 #118057 by jur

wolvendancer wrote: Jur, you are two parts right and ten parts so very wrong. You are right that this isn't an issue of 'decorum' or 'class', and that such notions often breed more problems than they solve. You are very, very wrong, though, to think that's what's going on here. There's nothing 'gruff yet loveable' about gendered and racialized hate speech. Nothing.

What i was pointing out is that some people here do the classic 'modern society is going down the drain' thing that has been said for more than 6,000 years and which is not so much a sign of society changing as of them getting old. The whole 'the thing i hear kids say these days', it just makes me laugh. Because in many cases those kids were us a decade or two ago.

Part of the reason this site exists is because we felt that bgg is overly polite and we should be able to say what we like and how we like,it. Fuck yeah! Now we.re discussing gaming with kids, something we derided in 2007. That's fine, it's a natural thing.

As a historian i just very much doubt how much worse the thing has really gotten. Very few thing used to be better in the old days. The magic wonderland with polite, tolerant, generous, bipartisan, cooperative, patriotic [insert favourite social trait here] people just never was.

That doesn't make racism and sexism right.

But the fact we're actively discussing and denouncing it was pretty much unthinkable even 50 years ago in large parts of western society.and we'd get our wives bring us a cold beer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schweig!

More
01 Mar 2012 05:38 #118058 by jur
Just for perspective. Remember the discussion we had a few months ago about the internet columnista that publicly dumped on a guy who played high level Magic tournaments? For me she's a total mirror image of Aris in style and poise, and totally sexist in her own way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Fallen

More
01 Mar 2012 06:21 #118059 by cdennett

SuperflyTNT wrote: I wonder, if they banned guns in America would people be as accepting of this stuff? Most of the reason people are "afraid to do anything" is that pretty much anyone is capable of holding a piece and squeezing a round at you. I wonder if it was back to the days when the most someone might be copping is a razor blade if people would be as totally apathetic to this kind of thing?

In theory, an armed society is a polite society.
In practice, not so much.
But break into my house and you only get one warning shot...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds