October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Fallout 3

More
13 Oct 2008 21:21 #12845 by Lagduf
Fallout 3 was created by Lagduf
Game of the Year.

You heard it first here folks.

10 years after the masterpiece that is F2 we finally get the long awaited sequel.

It of course will never be able to capture the nostalgia that we'll wax over F2 and some will not be able to shake the feeling that they're simply playing an Oblivion mod, but I think F3 will be a great, nay amazing, game in its own right.

October 28.

Be there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2008 21:29 - 13 Oct 2008 21:32 #12846 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Fallout 3
I'm very on the fence. I put it in my videogame thread in the trash culture forums. I am concerned because I still have not seen anything to make me think this is more than a reskinned Oblivion. I bought and enjoyed Morrowwind and Oblivion, but by the middle of Oblivion I was just struck by how bland the whole thing was. And especially, generic. And it's a limitation of the genre. When you have to make assets for that big a game, it ends up generic. I am concerned for Fallout 3 for that very reason (and that's why I don't think it will be game of the year).

The biggest impediment here is that I don't own a gaming quality PC anymore. If I did, I would be very hyped about this game. Why? Because modders could come along and correct all the stupid mistakes Bethesda makes--if I didn't buy Oblivion on PC I would have been subjected to level 70 bears giving my superhero hell every time I left town on xbox 360. This is a company that needs adjustments from the modding community. Thus why I'm not sure I will be buying it for the 360.

Incidentally, Lagduf, have you played the game? Are you in the industry or something?
Last edit: 13 Oct 2008 21:32 by Gary Sax.

More
13 Oct 2008 22:38 #12849 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re:Fallout 3
As I remarked at TOS:

I'll fucking pass. Bethesda f'ed another company, Glutton Creeper Games, out of the PnP version of Fallout. Apparently, GCG signed a license deal with Interplay a few years prior to the license agreement between Interplay and Bethesda to do Fallout 3. Bethesda caught wind of the agreement and sent a C&D letter to GCG to pull the plug on it, saying their agreement superseded Glutton Creeper's and gave Bethesda exclusive rights to the property. Bethesda refused to produce the agreement to GCG so they could look it over and to determine if it was true. GCG also tried to get the agreement from Interplay's president, but he couldn't find it. Makes you wonder WHY Interplay folded. I wrote to Bethesda and begged them to let GCG make the PnP. You know for a fact they are NOT going to make a PnP version of Fallout, just milk the console and PC gamers for all they're worth.

Long story short, GCG threw up their hands, scrubbed the Fallout likenesses out, and renamed the game Exodus. It's a d20 system and I'm picking it up soon to try out. As for Bethesda, they can bite my shiny metal ass. I looked forward to getting FO3 but after that douchebag maneuver, I decided they don't need my money. I'll play Stalker: Shadow of Cherynobyl for my Fallout-esque game fix.

More
13 Oct 2008 22:41 #12850 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re:Fallout 3
Also, if I truly want a FPS fix (with body parts a flyin'), I'll play Painkiller.

More
13 Oct 2008 23:35 #12853 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Fallout 3
Is it true that Fallout is in essence a sequel to Wasteland?

More
14 Oct 2008 03:04 - 14 Oct 2008 03:10 #12856 by Lagduf
Replied by Lagduf on topic Re:Fallout 3
Gary Sax wrote:

Incidentally, Lagduf, have you played the game? Are you in the industry or something?

Nope haven't played the game. I'm just calling it how I see it, or at least how I want it to turn out.

Mostly I wanted to know if anyone else was excited about this release.

My understanding is that F3 will not be as expansive as Oblivion, it's more linear and story driven. It's not a sandbox game like Oblivion.

I have mixed feelings on F3 essentially running on the Oblivion engine. Mostly because it looks a lot like a badass oblivion mod. But we need to remember that F3 will use a traditional exp gain system (pretty sure about this...) as opposed to Oblivion where levels were gained by increasing skills.

Hell, even the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stat system is still in place, as well as the pip boy. The weapon types are similar as well and I was pleased to see they included different ammunition types for guns.

The V.A.T.S. targeting system looks to recapture a lot of the feel of the turn based combat of the previous titles as well.

Given console gamers expectations I don't think Bethesda could have released a top down/isometric turn based RPG. I don't blame them really.

I suppose we could get in an argument here about Diablo III which is still top down (albeit fully 3D now), however, Diablo's point in click natures is a little different from Fallouts gameplay. I think you can still do the same thing in 3D and in quasi real time.

Did anyone play Mass Effect? A truly wonderful 3rd person RPG that exclusively featured ranged weapon combat (guns and such). All of the shooting took place in real time, except you could pause the game to issue commands to your teammates (AI controlled) and to select your special powers (magic essentially).

That is what leads me to believe the combat in F3 can and will work - and Bethesda stated they developed the game to be played in the first or third person based on a players preference. Unlike say Oblivion where you basically only went to third person to look at your character since the game was unplayable in that state.

The combat just reminds me a weird mix of KotOR (basically pausing to issue a series of actions) and Mass Effect (in that actions were resolved in real time unlike KotOR which was just d20), which very well could be a good thing.

I guess we'll see though.

Bethesda will never be able to please all the Fallout fans, but If my feeling is right F3 will be a damn fine game on it's own.

People are always wary of others messing with their beloved franchises.
Last edit: 14 Oct 2008 03:10 by Lagduf.

More
14 Oct 2008 03:11 #12857 by Lagduf
Rliyen wrote:

As I remarked at TOS:

I'll fucking pass. Bethesda f'ed another company, Glutton Creeper Games, out of the PnP version of Fallout. Apparently, GCG signed a license deal with Interplay a few years prior to the license agreement between Interplay and Bethesda to do Fallout 3. Bethesda caught wind of the agreement and sent a C&D letter to GCG to pull the plug on it, saying their agreement superseded Glutton Creeper's and gave Bethesda exclusive rights to the property. Bethesda refused to produce the agreement to GCG so they could look it over and to determine if it was true. GCG also tried to get the agreement from Interplay's president, but he couldn't find it. Makes you wonder WHY Interplay folded. I wrote to Bethesda and begged them to let GCG make the PnP. You know for a fact they are NOT going to make a PnP version of Fallout, just milk the console and PC gamers for all they're worth.

Long story short, GCG threw up their hands, scrubbed the Fallout likenesses out, and renamed the game Exodus. It's a d20 system and I'm picking it up soon to try out. As for Bethesda, they can bite my shiny metal ass. I looked forward to getting FO3 but after that douchebag maneuver, I decided they don't need my money. I'll play Stalker: Shadow of Cherynobyl for my Fallout-esque game fix.

Bethesda actually owns the Fallout IP now.

More
14 Oct 2008 05:10 #12859 by SenorOcho
Replied by SenorOcho on topic Re:Fallout 3
I'm not picking it up when it comes out, but I'll definitely be watching the reviews. After being unable to purchase Spore when it came out and thereby missing what turned out to be a steaming turd, I find that I can afford to be patient when it comes to getting new games.

I do wonder why every company feels the need to move away from turn-based combat in RPGs, though. I'm STILL playing games like the D&D Gold Box and Arcanum. Not true of Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/etc.

More
14 Oct 2008 05:28 #12860 by Lagduf
SenorOcho wrote:

I'm not picking it up when it comes out, but I'll definitely be watching the reviews. After being unable to purchase Spore when it came out and thereby missing what turned out to be a steaming turd, I find that I can afford to be patient when it comes to getting new games.

I do wonder why every company feels the need to move away from turn-based combat in RPGs, though. I'm STILL playing games like the D&D Gold Box and Arcanum. Not true of Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/etc.

I haven't played any of those turn based D&D games. I did play Baldur's Gate and enjoyed it though.

Did you play Knights of the Old Republic (1 or 2) - not quite "turn based" but they were based on the D20 system - you could even go and check the log of rolls (at least in the first game). You could pause to issue a chain of commands, then watch as they happened, then pause to enter more commands, etc.

What turn based games in particular were you thinking of?

I'm a fan of turn based tactical RPGs like Tactics Ogre, Front Mission, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc. But those games are all about combat.

I also like turn based strategies like Advance Wars, Dai Senryaku VII.

But the more I think of it, Fallout may be the only more traditional RPG with turn based combat that i've ever played.

Unless were also going to include menu driven RPGs, like most JRPGs.

I've sort of soured on JRPGs. Where 10 or so years ago my favorite RPG Developer was Squaresoft - now I think i'd be more apt to say it's a company like Bioware.

Times change and the market has diversified. The number of quality Western developers (of all genres) has increased dramatically. Now all the good titles don't solely come from Japan. They come from Europe, Canada, and the United States as well.

More
14 Oct 2008 09:27 #12865 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Fallout 3
I am technically in the middle of an unfinished Fallout (1) game, but finishing it is very low on my list of priorities right now, which is why I haven't even looked at it in nearly a year. The setting is great, but the system was clunky and the graphics were just primitive. Still, I will get around to finishing Fallout long before I buy Fallout 3, for the simple reason that my computer isn't up to spec for new games, and I don't have plans to replace my computer anytime soon. But I am interested in Fallout 3, because it will at least have the post-apocalyptic setting, which is all I really need.

More
15 Oct 2008 06:50 #12933 by SenorOcho
Replied by SenorOcho on topic Re:Fallout 3
That's the thing, Lagduf... how many games were really made that were similar to Fallout? Fallout 2, Arcanum, and...?

I suppose AP-based squad combat games could be counted, in which case you add Laser Squad, the Jagged Alliance series, and W40k: Chaos Gate. I guess what I'm bitching about with the "moving away from turn-based" is really more of a "what the hell happened to turn-based?" I think Shadowrun is a sad example of this... a fantastic setting and I've heard good things about the RPG system, and we've seen 3 video games based on it, all real-time (and one of them a fucking FPS at that).

Was Dai Senryaku VII actually released as a US title? I saw it on Goozex and Amazon pretty cheap but wasn't sure if I would be able to run it on my PS2. I'm friggin' nuts for strategy games on the PS2, and I'm almost to the top of the Goozex waiting list for Disgaea 3 now..

More
15 Oct 2008 09:56 #12940 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Fallout 3
I was of course really interested until I saw it was an FPS...that sort of killed it for me.

I got this really sweet UK disc that has FALLOUT, FALLOUT 2, and FALLOUT TACTICS on it...I played through some of the first two games and like Shell said, I was kind of surprised at how clunky they are now- I don't think the games hold up very well although the setting, writing, and characters are still great. TACTICS, I think, is still awesome and it's actually my favorite of the lot.

It's definitely a spiritual successor, but not a sequel. WASTELAND is one of the greatest games of any format ever released. Go see if Underdogs has it if you've never played it.

More
15 Oct 2008 10:04 #12942 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Fallout 3
Michael Barnes wrote:

It's definitely a spiritual successor, but not a sequel. WASTELAND is one of the greatest games of any format ever released. Go see if Underdogs has it if you've never played it.[/quote]
I played it before. I wish that the hinted at Wasteland 2 would have been made.

More
15 Oct 2008 10:23 #12945 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Fallout 3
I've always heard that FOUNTAIN OF DREAMS was intended to be the sequel to WASTELAND, but something happened and it was disavowed by the designers or something.

More
15 Oct 2008 10:46 #12946 by Bullwinkle
Replied by Bullwinkle on topic Re:Fallout 3
Michael Barnes wrote:

I got this really sweet UK disc that has FALLOUT, FALLOUT 2, and FALLOUT TACTICS on it...I played through some of the first two games and like Shell said, I was kind of surprised at how clunky they are now- I don't think the games hold up very well although the setting, writing, and characters are still great. TACTICS, I think, is still awesome and it's actually my favorite of the lot.

I liked Tactics a lot, too, although I wouldn't put it anywhere in the same league as the other two. I never understood the hatred Tactics got from other FO fans; I guess it was just the fact that it wasn't the real successor to FO2. Or maybe that it wasn't even an RPG. The combat is a hell of a lot of fun, though. That system is one of the things I liked best about the original games.

I agree that FO/FO2 are starting to age a little, but apart from some interface issues, I think they still hold up very well as games, although the second does better than the first.

As for FO3, I'm going to approach it just as I did Tactics: a different style of game in the same universe. I have high hopes for it. But then I loved Oblivion.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.499 seconds