October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Puzzle Strike Missionaries

More
17 Feb 2013 14:57 #144465 by Gary Sax
Nice post, Erik Twice. What you describe is bang on. I see endless copies of it as a professor. Not very attractive, as you said, even if you do happen to be right.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2013 10:03 #144516 by Erik Twice

Gary Sax wrote: Nice post, Erik Twice. What you describe is bang on. I see endless copies of it as a professor. Not very attractive, as you said, even if you do happen to be right.

Hey thanks. It's something I always try to keep in mind because it's very easy to fall into it. I used to be a Nietszche-Wannabe with my opinions and now that I'm calmer and much more moderate I couldn't be happier.

BTW, Erik or Twice is fine, saying both sounds too serious! =P

More
18 Feb 2013 11:57 #144518 by SleightOfHand12

Space Ghost wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:
JJ is kind of right, it's rare that we see this kind of bullshit rockstar attitude in game designers....it's kind of amusing.

I am amused by it when it comes from someone with a resume to back it up; otherwise, it is off-putting (I deal with enough of this shit in academia, where everyone is a self-proclaimed genius.

Reason I put off the PhD after a fully-funded M.Sc. (Really, a fully-funded PhD that I quit early. Long fucking story.) I simply can't do academia in Psychology for the rest of my life.)

Sirlin is free to tell me when I've spent enough money on his games.

I bought the MDF version of Puzzle Strike and feel completely fucked over by the newest versions.

I also ordered a full set of Yomi as soon as it was available.

Still feeling fucked,

KP

More
18 Feb 2013 12:29 #144520 by Gary Sax
So I don't keep up with this stuff and never got into Sirlin's games. Are these update kits? Or does he sell entirely new productions/editions of all his games every year or something?

More
18 Feb 2013 13:44 #144526 by san il defanso
- The original Puzzle Strike was made with wooden chips, in like 2009.

- The second edition was made with cardboard chips to cut costs. No concessions made to those who bought the wooden version.

- An "upgrade kit" was released to further balance second edition. This was available for $25 from Sirlin's website.

- A THIRD edition of Puzzle Strike was opened on Kickstarter about six months after the upgrade kit was made available. This was a new version, with many revised chips and a completely new "Combine" chip. The long-promised expansion was also part of this project, and was only compatible with third edition, although it could be played as it's own game.

I keep hearing that the new version(s) isn't necessary at all to enjoy the game, just that it's meant to balance the game at the "tournament level," but if it's not that big a deal I frankly don't see why we need a new version every six months.

More
18 Feb 2013 16:28 #144541 by Space Ghost

Gary Sax wrote: So I don't keep up with this stuff and never got into Sirlin's games. Are these update kits? Or does he sell entirely new productions/editions of all his games every year or something?

You want the first edition? I'm glad to send it to Lubbock.

More
18 Feb 2013 16:41 #144542 by Gary Sax
Naw, thanks for the offer, though! I don't see these games ever getting any play around here.

This new edition thing would drive me crazy as well. It's strange because I'm not a big completionist or anything, so I should be fine with it...

More
18 Feb 2013 16:50 #144544 by san il defanso
I have a second edition with the Upgrade kit, and I still like the game quite a bit. That's enough variety to trot it out with my wife every couple months and hammer out a few games.

I was disappointed because I was REALLY excited about the expansion, and it ended up being a third-edition-only deal. I know I could still have gotten it to play by itself, but I didn't want to sign on for a second game. I would rather have the expansion stuff mixed in. I dunno, it's not really that big a deal but I felt awfully jerked around after shelling out the bring the game into balance once already, and then being told I would have to buy an entirely new copy to do it again a mere six months later.

More
18 Feb 2013 17:23 #144549 by Ken B.

San Il Defanso wrote: I have a second edition with the Upgrade kit, and I still like the game quite a bit. That's enough variety to trot it out with my wife every couple months and hammer out a few games.

I was disappointed because I was REALLY excited about the expansion, and it ended up being a third-edition-only deal. I know I could still have gotten it to play by itself, but I didn't want to sign on for a second game. I would rather have the expansion stuff mixed in. I dunno, it's not really that big a deal but I felt awfully jerked around after shelling out the bring the game into balance once already, and then being told I would have to buy an entirely new copy to do it again a mere six months later.

I don't think this has been stated well because Sirlin is adamant about balance, but there's no reason whatsoever for casual fans of Puzzle Strike to buy 3rd edition just to enjoy Shadows.

Here's why: The biggest part of third edition is the Combine change. Shadows has a set of the new Combines. Problem solved. The rest? Mostly slight buffs to older chips. A lot of chips that didn't see heavy play got some buffs, along with a couple of characters.

To me, unlike nerfs to overly strong cards or whatever, an expansion of buffs is nice, but not necessary, if that makes any sense at all.

So you can absolutely enjoy Shadows with 2nd edition. Sirlin might disagree about it being the optimal configuration, but I'd think that he'd rather sell a copy of just Shadows (which is really good) rather than nothing at all.

I like 3rd edition and welcome the changes, but it's a game I've played a lot. Casual players (not even remotely used as an insulting term) will be totally and completely fine coupling Shadows and 2nd edition/upgrade, I promise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
18 Feb 2013 18:00 #144554 by SuperflyPete
I think Yomi translates to "bend over".

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.541 seconds