October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2647 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Puzzle Strike Missionaries

More
18 Feb 2013 19:17 #144566 by Sagrilarus
If I recall correctly the Yomi master set was $100. The Summoner Wars master set was $50. I'll be honest, Summoner Wars is arguably a much better game. Why was this game priced the way it was? When I heard it was a C note I was very surprised.

S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2013 19:26 #144567 by OldHippy

Sagrilarus wrote: If I recall correctly the Yomi master set was $100. The Summoner Wars master set was $50. I'll be honest, Summoner Wars is arguably a much better game. Why was this game priced the way it was? When I heard it was a C note I was very surprised.

S.

I was very interested in this game but that price kept me far away from even considering it as a purchase. Far too much money for what it is.

More
18 Feb 2013 19:47 #144568 by Ken B.

Sagrilarus wrote: If I recall correctly the Yomi master set was $100. The Summoner Wars master set was $50. I'll be honest, Summoner Wars is arguably a much better game. Why was this game priced the way it was? When I heard it was a C note I was very surprised.

S.

Well, let's be fair, when Summoner Wars got started, it was $25 for two decks and a paper map. As Plaid Hat grew and Summoner Wars' word of mouth spread, their success enabled them to deliver a much-deserved upgrade in the form of the Master Set. Even so, a lot of us commented on what a great deal that was, so Colby's pricing was very aggressive.

More
18 Feb 2013 19:52 #144569 by Sagrilarus
$50 for six small decks of cards, a board and some dice seems relatively steep components-wise. But the gameplay rocks, so it's worth the price. Yomi had a "is that all?" kind of feel to it for me. It seemed awfully simple.

S.

More
18 Feb 2013 21:54 #144576 by Ken B.

Sagrilarus wrote: $50 for six small decks of cards, a board and some dice seems relatively steep components-wise. But the gameplay rocks, so it's worth the price. Yomi had a "is that all?" kind of feel to it for me. It seemed awfully simple.

S.

Yah man, value is definitely subjective. That's why gamers have all the power--we get to vote with our wallets. So only buy the stuff that you think you will get value out of.

More
18 Feb 2013 22:17 - 18 Feb 2013 22:19 #144582 by SuperflyPete
I don't think that's true. As long as there's a sea of pseudojournalists pushing product quid-pro-quo, they will have the power. BGGers seem to have some sort of hoarder or OCD mentality that forces them to buy games they never plan on playing just to have them, and they also seem to put a lot of weight on bloggers' opinions, especially if it has video footage.

Just sayin', the sheeple need leading, and there's a veritable sea of shepherds out there to close the gates behind them.

Of all the trades I've done, the vast majority were unpunched or still in shrink. I don't know if this is common, but it certainly is my experience. Same is true of the GeekAuctions and Marketplace purchases.

I'm down to 56 games (including expansions) at this point. Aside from Runebound expansions, there are zero games I've never played and the average play has to be around 5 or 6. I think that's the better way to do "gaming"...buy very little but the best, trade up a lot, and don't be afraid to let one get by you.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2013 22:19 by SuperflyPete.

More
19 Feb 2013 00:28 - 19 Feb 2013 00:39 #144596 by Sevej
Hoarder mentality is a strange thing.

At first I thought women buying clothes & shoes & bags hoard stuff because they have no hobby. Turned out that hobbyist can have hoarder mentality too. Even here locally, I saw games being procured so quickly, resold (some even at point of arrival, mind you it takes 2-4 weeks for games to reach Indonesia), and circulated. I'm the oddball here with very few games that repeatedly played. It's all fine by me though, there's steady supply of second hand goods here.

But it's their money and their hobby, so who am I to say anything.

PS. I don't think Yomi is overpriced. IMO, the Summoner Wars is the one that's excellent deal. Sure physically there's few stuff, but 6 factions seem sweet. And this is coming from a guy who hasn't bought or played it. The only reason I hasn't bought it is that I have Okko for light skirmish, Battlelore of full on board battle, and I still play miniatures. On the other hand, Yomi is much more subtle. I think there's substance in the gameplay. I used to play a lot of fighting games during my high school and uni years. Kings of Fighters, Tekken, Street Fighter, Fatal Fury, Garou Mark of the Wolves... and I think Yomi captures the meta mind-reading factor of these games. BUT, with it being a card game, it lost a lot of the visceral and reactive aspect of fighting game.
Last edit: 19 Feb 2013 00:39 by Sevej.

More
19 Feb 2013 00:36 - 19 Feb 2013 00:40 #144597 by Jexik

Ken B. wrote: Casual players (not even remotely used as an insulting term) will be totally and completely fine coupling Shadows and 2nd edition/upgrade, I promise.

This is the route I took.

I've still not even mixed the two games. A lot of the euro and AT fans I show the game to are kind of put off by the chibi art. I like the game a lot though.

He's a great designer who makes some questionable choices and isn't good at PR (Why does the first Puzzle Strike box look like a game designed for 8 year old girls)? And when he does make bad decisions, it's the world that's wrong, not him.

The way to create a strong tournament scene is to first create a large scene in general. Gamesalute and belittling dissenters is not how to do that.

Mmm... I've worked for Colby and I still don't understand the outcry over the pricing on Yomi. For 100 bucks, you get 10 decks. It costs about 90 to do the same for Summoner Wars retail, so I don't see the issue.

I guess Space Hulk spoiled people?
Last edit: 19 Feb 2013 00:40 by Jexik.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.372 seconds