October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Convince Me to Upgrade My IPad?

More
27 May 2013 14:38 #152920 by Legomancer
I have an old iPad One from the Pleistocene Era with, I think, 32GB on it. I've been thinking about maybe, maybe dropping the cash on a fancy new one with 64GB. I have the buxx but I just can't get myself to do it.

REASONS TO DO IT:
1) Running out of space. I'm starting to sometimes have to delete things if I want to update other things because I'm pretty much at my limit.
2) Unable to update or buy somethings. iPad 1 won't run iOS 6, so anything requiring it (a lot of things) won't run on my device. And I know this is only going to get worse.
3) Slllloooowwww... People talk all the time about browsing on the iPad but I hate doing that because it's so goddamn slow.
4) Retina graphics, I guess, though I don't have any problem with the current graphics.

REASONS NOT TO DO IT:
1) Surely there are better things I can spend that money on.
2) I could easily free up space because I have a ton of apps I never touch.

See, I don't use the iPad nearly as much as I think I probably should. As I say, I hate web browsing on it. I have all these games that I never play. I do some async gaming, but not a whole lot. I buy all these board game adaptations and then never play them. (I love Neuroshima Hex but I never feel like playing against an AI and the async on it is pretty much unplayable.) What games get the most play for me on it? A jigsaw puzzle thing, a single-player word game, and Rummikub. I play them usually at night when I'm trying to wind down and go to sleep. I read comics on it through Comixology. I don't have much music on it because I pretty much never turn the sound on on it anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I like having it, but I just don't know if it's seeing the kind of use that justifies dropping $700 on a new one.

Anyone else been in a similar bind?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2013 15:30 - 27 May 2013 15:32 #152922 by ThirstyMan
One word

Warhammer Quest

ipad2 is $350 here. Thinking of doing it myself for the above reason.
Last edit: 27 May 2013 15:32 by ThirstyMan.

More
27 May 2013 15:35 #152923 by jeb
You could still probably get $200+ for the iPad 1, especially if it has the cellular option, so you're talking more like $500. That's a lot of scratch, no doubt. But the browsing gets a LOT better with iPad 2 and beyond. I rock the iPad 2 w/ 32 GB and no cellular and it's pretty awesome, upgrading from iPad 1 about year ago. You will definitely notice the speed jump.

I would definitely recommend going from 1 to 2. With some patience, you're talking about $250 out of pocket, and you are basically getting a laptop replacement for consumption and doodling about.

Going from 1 to 3 or Mini is more debateable and depends on your needs. My iPad has been indispensible as an extra "tv," GPS, console, and for note taking, pictures, and so forth. But if you have a phone that does that stuff it's less of a must buy.

More
27 May 2013 15:45 #152925 by Sagrilarus
$700 is airfare to Europe. You can spend the time on the plane deleting the stuff you don't use.

S.

More
27 May 2013 17:08 #152930 by metalface13
It doesn't sound like you really enjoy your iPad enough to justify upgrading. That said, I have an iPad 2 so I don't know how bad things are with the iPad 1. Nor can I say anything for the ipad3, I hear the retina display is nice. I use my iPad for surfing the web (although typing is kind of a pain sometimes as I'm using my iPad now to post this). But I like to use flipbook to read news/sports, read ebooks/kindle, play ascension, summoner war, nightfall, eclipse, talisman and warhammer quest is coming out next week.

We bought just the 16 gb version which is manageable. There's always games, movies, music, etc. you're aren't using and can take off. Maybe if you know someone who has an iPad 2 or 3 you could use it for an hour or so to see what you think.

More
27 May 2013 18:59 #152936 by Michael Barnes
Cuneiform is no longer supported by today's apps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, SuperflyPete

More
31 May 2013 13:16 #153293 by Legomancer
Welp, I did it. Got me a Retina with 64GB, woo!

Now to figure out which games I wanted to get before but couldn't because they required iOS 6. I know one of them is Baldur's Gate.

SO HEY, as long as I'm here, I have never completed an async game of Neuroshima Hex. Either an update in the app caused my game to get trashed, or the game just vanished one day or the invite never even made it to the opponent. Anyone here play it async regularly and want to help me try again, now that I have the current OS?

I am Legomancer on GC. Typically I sort of go through various games in cycles (like, right now I'm sick to death of Carcassonne and am not playing it) though I'm always up for some Ascension.

More
31 May 2013 13:22 #153295 by Sagrilarus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
31 May 2013 15:10 #153306 by metalface13

Legomancer wrote: Welp, I did it. Got me a Retina with 64GB, woo!

Now to figure out which games I wanted to get before but couldn't because they required iOS 6. I know one of them is Baldur's Gate.

SO HEY, as long as I'm here, I have never completed an async game of Neuroshima Hex. Either an update in the app caused my game to get trashed, or the game just vanished one day or the invite never even made it to the opponent. Anyone here play it async regularly and want to help me try again, now that I have the current OS?

I am Legomancer on GC. Typically I sort of go through various games in cycles (like, right now I'm sick to death of Carcassonne and am not playing it) though I'm always up for some Ascension.

I like Neuroshima Hex, but have never gotten an asynch game going. I'm =metalface13= if you want to give it a shot. Also open for Ascension, Nightfall, Summoner Wars, Titan and Eclipse. I'm really, really, really bad at Nightfall if you want to win some games!

More
31 May 2013 16:54 #153307 by TheDukester

Legomancer wrote: Anyone here play it async regularly and want to help me try again, now that I have the current OS?

I play asynch all the time. It's sort of a pain — WAY too many clicks — but it's fun once you get into it.

Basically, the first step involves a list of your GC friends. I don't think you and I are connected there, but I'll send out an invite. Are you Legomancer there, too? I'm ItsTheDukester. If we connect at GC, I'll start an NH game.

More
31 May 2013 20:50 #153322 by TheDukester
NH I\invite just went out, Legomancer. You should be able to join, pick your army, and start it up.

More
01 Jun 2013 03:39 #153336 by SuperflyPete
I know, I usually derail but it's time I contribute:

I'm thinking about getting a second iPad because my daughter usually has the battery at 10% by 11AM...apparently the biggest mistake ever was telling her Netflix is on it.

Anyhow, is the Retina that much better? So much so that it's worth getting it over a 2?

More
14 Jun 2013 17:10 #154202 by Legomancer
My NH game with The Dukester disappeared, and I think I have it figured out. There's some kind of time limit on the games, either on the game itself or on inaction. (I was out of town last weekend at HeroesCon, without Internet access, so I couldn't take my moves.) Anyone know what this time limit is?

More
14 Jun 2013 17:27 #154208 by jeb
Gotta turn that brightness down, Pete. The battery life is amazing if you turn down the brightness even if streaming like crazy.

Double-tap the home button, swipe the program panel to the right and you get quick access to volume, brightness, and re/pause/ff controls on an audio source.

More
14 Jun 2013 17:40 #154210 by SuperflyPete

jeb wrote: Gotta turn that brightness down, Pete. The battery life is amazing if you turn down the brightness even if streaming like crazy.

Double-tap the home button, swipe the program panel to the right and you get quick access to volume, brightness, and re/pause/ff controls on an audio source.

Yeah, I use the 4-finger swipe up, then over to those controls, but the kids play the shit out of it if I don't charge it nightly (it's usually at 4% by 10PM). I just sat on the shitter and defeated both Taco Bell and Yig (currently not sure which is more evil) and the battery was at 77% with the brightness probably at 66%, give or take.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.433 seconds