October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2688 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Scrolls out in Beta

More
05 Jun 2013 05:30 #153499 by trif
Scrolls out in Beta was created by trif
The new virtual CCG - Scrolls - is now in beta.

This is the new game from Mojang, the company that created Minecraft.

The information is here for those interested - scrolls.com/

I've been curious about this for a while - they ran afoul of Bethesda Software (who make the Elder Scrolls games - like Skyrim) of the use of the word "Scrolls" but it seems a gentleman's agreement has been nutted out.

I'm a bit hesitant to sign up merely because I haven't touched Minecraft in ages after the initial excitement but I'll probably buy in early anyway just to see what it's like. It appears that you mostly buy cards through in-game currency though they do accept hard cash for some cards.

Anyone else interested?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2013 09:31 - 05 Jun 2013 09:31 #153501 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: Scrolls out in Beta
My initial thought is actually about it relative to its competition, which this looks a bit similar to. I'm much more interested in Card Hunter, which is still in beta, I think Mojang has a lot to prove in terms of knowing WTF to do with a CCG. Card Hunter has a much better gaming pedigree (uh, Garfield?) and the idea that cards represent equipment, and therefore come with a package of good/bad cards, is awesome. And people who have played it rave about it:

www.cardhunter.com/
Last edit: 05 Jun 2013 09:31 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: trif

More
05 Jun 2013 12:02 - 05 Jun 2013 12:03 #153504 by hotseatgames
I applied for the beta of Card Hunter a while ago and have yet to get in. I've looked at Scrolls, and it just didn't grab me. If you say 'dueling wizards' to me these days, it's like saying 'new zombie board game'.

Also, yesterday I downloaded the beta for the new Bloodbowl management game on Steam. I built a team of Skaven but really haven't looked to see how the game plays yet. It clearly is a work in progress.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2013 12:03 by hotseatgames.

More
05 Jun 2013 16:17 #153521 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re: Scrolls out in Beta

hotseatgames wrote: Also, yesterday I downloaded the beta for the new Bloodbowl management game on Steam. I built a team of Skaven but really haven't looked to see how the game plays yet. It clearly is a work in progress.

Whoa whoa whoa. I didn't know that was out. I take it's PC only?

More
05 Jun 2013 16:55 #153525 by iguanaDitty
Replied by iguanaDitty on topic Re: Scrolls out in Beta
Man between Scrolls, Card hunter, Solforge (Is Garfield on this and Card Hunter as well?), HEX (whenever that actually releases). A bit nuts they all went after the same idea at the same time. Hope one of them turns out well, and only one to save my poor wallet.

More
17 Jun 2013 05:40 #154369 by trif
Replied by trif on topic Re: Scrolls out in Beta

Gary Sax wrote: My initial thought is actually about it relative to its competition, which this looks a bit similar to. I'm much more interested in Card Hunter, which is still in beta, I think Mojang has a lot to prove in terms of knowing WTF to do with a CCG. Card Hunter has a much better gaming pedigree (uh, Garfield?) and the idea that cards represent equipment, and therefore come with a package of good/bad cards, is awesome. And people who have played it rave about it:

www.cardhunter.com/

Hadn't really looked at Card Hunter. I like the aesthetic and didn't know that Garfield was involved. Might sign up for the Beta.

More
17 Jun 2013 06:28 #154370 by moss_icon
Replied by moss_icon on topic Re: Scrolls out in Beta

metalface13 wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: Also, yesterday I downloaded the beta for the new Bloodbowl management game on Steam. I built a team of Skaven but really haven't looked to see how the game plays yet. It clearly is a work in progress.

Whoa whoa whoa. I didn't know that was out. I take it's PC only?

it's on steam, it's a mess.

More
17 Jun 2013 10:36 #154374 by stormseeker75
I signed up for Card Hunter, but it appears it may take a LONG time for the beta queue to work it's way through. Not sure I like the sound of Scrolls.

More
17 Jun 2013 11:10 #154376 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Re: Scrolls out in Beta

Not to further derail, but is this a PC implementation of FFGs BB:Team Manager, or something else?

More
17 Jun 2013 16:35 #154401 by hotseatgames
I've still not paid any attention to the Bloodbowl game. I DID get into Cardhunter. I love it.

More
17 Jun 2013 16:38 #154402 by stormseeker75
Dammit, I'm waiting patiently for Cardhunter. I've been hemming on Scrolls but I think I'll wait for Garfield on this one. Can you talk about it, hotseat?

More
17 Jun 2013 18:10 - 17 Jun 2013 18:12 #154415 by hotseatgames
Sure. The whole thing is set up like a tabletop RPG session using standees. After some tutorial stuff, the core of the campaign (I haven't touched MP and perhaps never will) is an overland map dotted with locations. You take your party to a location and start a 'module', including classic D&D-style art on the 'scenario book' for the module.

You outfit your party with gear that you either find or buy, and the novel concept here is that the gear represents EVERYTHING regarding your abilities, including the ability to move! Yes, if you don't have a 'walk', 'run', etc. card, your figure can't move. This sounds scary when you hear it, but in practice it's pretty novel and leads to interesting situations.

Each piece of gear imparts a set of cards to each character's deck, so you could find yourself comparing two weapons and evaluating which one gave you the more desired set of cards. It's really cool.

When you start an adventure in the module, which is really to say you are starting a tactical battle, the display changes to a simple grid-based map that looks like several Ravenloft tiles put together. Your minis are placed on the map, as well as the minis of the enemy side. Each turn you can play one card from ONE of your figures' hands. A card is a move action, an attack, a buff, etc. Positioning is only a factor in terms of range and when dealing with armor; most armor can't block an attack from behind. Enemies generally turn to face their attacker, so if you get an enemy in between two heroes, you can essentially take turns backstabbing him.

Heroes level up, and each victory gets you loot. You can pay real money for better loot, but I've yet to feel any desire to do that. The game is great though, and I'd not feel bad about paying for it. In fact I'd gladly pay a one-time fee for an iOS version. It runs on flash, so no ipad.... :(
Last edit: 17 Jun 2013 18:12 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
17 Jun 2013 18:15 - 17 Jun 2013 18:16 #154416 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: Scrolls out in Beta
Card Hunter is very good. I would say, though, that you get gold very, very slowly. It's clearly tuned to buy extra. The loot drops aren't bad but they generally aren't exactly what you want---you'd like to buy stuff in the store. But most of the items that you sell in the store are worth almost nothing on sale, so it's really hard to buy the stuff you want in the store.

The gameplay is *rock* solid and has tons of interesting card management elements. This game will be great, it's just a question of tuning the spend real money/spend fake money stuff.

If you have specific questions I can answer them.
Last edit: 17 Jun 2013 18:16 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
17 Jun 2013 23:55 #154491 by stormseeker75
Thanks so much, guys! That's awesome info. So maybe I'll play Scrolls until I get in the Card Hunter beta.

More
18 Jun 2013 02:26 #154503 by the_jake_1973
I just got into the Card Hunter beta. Quite fun.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds