October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Marvel Legendary - what the?!

More
12 Jul 2013 18:22 - 12 Jul 2013 18:48 #156478 by Mr. White
I'm going to go with the expansion being 'not better' when it comes to the cards:

What's her name? The attack is called what?

I'm sorry, Marvel doesn't have the rights to any classic Elektra Frank Miller art? Bad art aside, who made the call for yellow text on a yellow background?

How about these Punishers?
Are these all from the same artist? Kinda looks like it, but Castle has four very different faces. Oy!

Again, no John Romita Jr or Mike Zeck?
C'mon Marvel!

I always find myself enjoying the play of deckbuilders, but have yet to find the one to buy. I was kinda hoping this could be it. I'm passing though. The two frontrunners for me are still Dominion and Thunderstone, with Thunderstone ahead just a little. Maybe the upcoming Shadowrun:Crossfire will be the one.

EDIT: No, wait. Isn't there some deckbuilder coming out about trains? It may even be called...Train. That might do it.
Last edit: 12 Jul 2013 18:48 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2013 18:38 #156481 by metalface13
I'm not an expert on these kinds of legal affairs, but Marvel may own the rights, but those artists get royalties every time their work gets reprinted. It's cheaper to use the crappy art. Also why that Batman game had the crappy commercial artist type art.

More
12 Jul 2013 18:49 #156482 by ThirstyMan
Seems a strange attack for The Punisher....Hail of Bullshit?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik

More
12 Jul 2013 21:59 - 12 Jul 2013 22:24 #156494 by Sagrilarus
Lifeless euro with painfully obvious decisions. The art is at best a "disappointment". I'm just thanking God that Jeff White is here to keep you bozos straight when I'm at work, because he's the only person on the whole God Damned Web Site making any sense right now! Even Engineer Al is talking stupidese, and he's a smart guy. Al, it's not that your mother and I are angry at you, it's more that we're . . . disappointed. We expected more. We thought you knew better.

All of these games are rehashes of the same thing. All of these games are complete information prior to decision, which means you can lay your cards on the table and come to mutual agreement on how to play. The only thing worse than a lifeless deck-builder is a cooperative lifeless deck-builder. GET THEE TO A REAL GAME .

At some point deck-building will become a supporting mechanic as it should be and it will be a valuable spice to the main course.

S.
Last edit: 12 Jul 2013 22:24 by Sagrilarus. Reason: Needed to vent at Al more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
13 Jul 2013 01:24 #156501 by engineer Al

Sagrilarus wrote: he's a smart guy.

Don't you think you might want to "rephrase" that, Ladie?

I have fun playing this game. Some people need more than that, but fun is at the core of the games that I enjoy. And art is subjective.

More
13 Jul 2013 01:39 #156502 by evilgit
I can't defend the graphic design, it's horrible. Personally I kinda like the art, others disagree. It was way too easy without the expansion. The expansion makes it harder but with so many variables, it's impossible to adjust the difficulty level with any consistency. It short, the game is a mess. But it's a fun mess with three people.

For those that don't like deckbuilders, give Core Worlds a try.

More
13 Jul 2013 13:22 - 13 Jul 2013 13:26 #156516 by Sagrilarus
Ok Al, you guys play games of experience (Arkham and the like) as well as games of legit puzzle and competition. Here's the question -- where on the experience vs. competition arc do you put Legendary? What brings you the enjoyment in this one?

I'm not a big fan of deck-building in general because I feel like a victim in it more than an active player. Putting cooperation into the mix generally makes that worse though at least it keeps the conversation going.

And I still want a Kitty Pryde card but that's a separate issue.

What brings it in Legendary?

I sure would like to see deck-building as a following action instead of a leading one. I think that will be its next eureka moment.

S.
Last edit: 13 Jul 2013 13:26 by Sagrilarus.

More
14 Jul 2013 02:03 - 14 Jul 2013 02:51 #156531 by Mr. White

metalface13 wrote: I'm not an expert on these kinds of legal affairs, but Marvel may own the rights, but those artists get royalties every time their work gets reprinted. It's cheaper to use the crappy art. Also why that Batman game had the crappy commercial artist type art.

Maybe, but this game retails for $60. $60 for a handful of cards. Another joke considering the lack of thought that went into the design. I'd understand $60 if they were kicking royalties at some of their former artists and we had some iconic images here, but not for the product they're currently putting on the shelf.

I'm just dumbfounded by the whole thing. Granted the cards have better illustrations than anything I can do, but they don't even have the illustrator's names on the cards. I thought all modern card games did that. The mailroom guys sketch these things up over lunch?

I just wish Marvel cared more about putting out a quality product over making a very cheap buck. Having it's roots in the visual medium of comics, and coming later in the deckbuilder craze, the Marvel deckbuilder should look better than Dominion or Thunderstone. It does not.
Last edit: 14 Jul 2013 02:51 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
20 Jul 2013 15:03 #156848 by engineer Al
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configuration

Sagrilarus wrote: Ok Al, you guys play games of experience (Arkham and the like) as well as games of legit puzzle and competition. Here's the question -- where on the experience vs. competition arc do you put Legendary? What brings you the enjoyment in this one?

Most certainly it is the experience aspect that excites me here. I'm not a big deckbuilder fan. There are a few exceptions (Core Worlds), but mostly they are good just as fillers, or mindless fun to relax with the wife. Legendary is the only deckbuilder that gives me a sense of narrative. Some of that, no doubt, is due to the familiarity of the characters. The game itself, however, does provide a good feeling of drama as it almost always seems like the superheros are going to be overwhelmed before they are able to pull it off in the end. A quick simple game that provides characters and storyline, what more could you ask for? The semicooperative thing is interesting as well, and I think the game would be less exciting if played as a straight cooperative.

More
21 Jul 2013 14:22 #156861 by Shellhead

ThirstyMan wrote: Seems a strange attack for The Punisher....Hail of Bullshit?

I suspect that Hail of Bullshit was the name of this game during the playtesting phase. They renamed it after getting the licensing from Marvel to paste the theme on this game.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.295 seconds