October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

F:AT Yahoo EPL (again)

More
08 Aug 2013 01:57 #158032 by Not Sure
Someone reminded me it's about that time again.

Football, with extra feet.

I'm still somewhat burned out from last season, but it's a tradition (I think this my tenth year overall and third year of F:AT league) so here we go again.

Yahoo seems to have changed the game up with bench players this year, and has jacked up registration pretty well.

This link might work, and might not. If not, I might need to send email invites.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2013 02:02 - 08 Aug 2013 02:07 #158033 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re: F:AT Yahoo EPL (again)
The bench rules are that a team is 15 players:

2 GK
5 D
5 M
3 F

The same formations are in force, so if you play 3 forwards on the field, you don't have one on the bench. Seems like we get $50M more to not spend on two el cheapo bench defenders and a middy, then play the game like always.

Their wording had me afraid of floating salary cap, but that doesn't seem to be the case. That was an unmitigated disaster the one year they tried it.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2013 02:07 by Not Sure.

More
08 Aug 2013 17:43 #158106 by metalface13
Aw yeah! I'm going for a three-peat this year! So how do the bench players score points?

More
08 Aug 2013 20:13 #158119 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re: F:AT Yahoo EPL (again)
The new interface is annoying as fuck. I'm in...

More
16 Aug 2013 12:35 #158674 by metalface13
Just now getting around to signing up, what's the League ID and password?

More
16 Aug 2013 13:20 #158677 by Sagrilarus
Now that English Premier League is playing front and center on my TV I'm considering rooting for a team. Any suggestions? Someone that's a contender, yet somehow tragic. Any team fit that bill?

S.

More
16 Aug 2013 13:44 #158678 by Mr. White

Sagrilarus wrote: Now that English Premier League is playing front and center on my TV I'm considering rooting for a team. Any suggestions? Someone that's a contender, yet somehow tragic. Any team fit that bill?

S.

Find an MLS team in your area.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
16 Aug 2013 15:13 - 16 Aug 2013 15:17 #158685 by Not Sure

Sagrilarus wrote: Now that English Premier League is playing front and center on my TV I'm considering rooting for a team. Any suggestions? Someone that's a contender, yet somehow tragic. Any team fit that bill?

Spurs. (Tottenham Hotspur if you're not into the whole brevity thing.)

They aren't a real contender, but it's easy to think they are. They'll win enough games to be exciting, and finish near the top of the table, including racing for a Champions League place. There's also plenty of tragedy in "will-they-won't-they" over selling their top players. Their manager is exciting without being a dickhead as well.

The real contenders for the actual title (to my mind) are (top three in narrative order, not a prediction):

Chelsea - Russian owner billions-backed spending sprees starting about ten years ago put them from mid-table to near the top. Haven't won the title in a few years, but have often been pretty close.

Manchester City - Same scheme as above, but replace Russian with Emirate and only 3-4 years in. These two teams play Fantasy Football with the actual players.

Manchester United - Like rooting for the Yankees. Cruised to the title last year. New manager for the first time in 20+ years may shake up performances.

Then Spurs.

Past that, Liverpool are tragic, but not contenders. They used to be a very winning team (dominated English football for a while), and won't ever forget it. Or let anyone else. Now they're a mid-table team most years, always capable of spectacular self-destruction.

Or do what Jeff says. DC United are certainly close to you.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2013 15:17 by Not Sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
16 Aug 2013 15:16 #158686 by Not Sure
There's a signup link in my first post, because Yahoo jacked shit up this year.

Looks like this is the relevant info.

League ID 22666
Password 78op7t

(I didn't get to use "excitedman" this year, they were automatic).

More
16 Aug 2013 16:22 - 16 Aug 2013 16:34 #158694 by Mr. White

Not Sure wrote: Or do what Jeff says. DC United are certainly close to you.

And building a new soccer specific stadium soon.
www.dcunited.com/news/2013/07/plans-for-...er-stadium-announced

Saying to root for an MLS team use to be kind of a joke, but we US self-loathing soccer fans loved it.

However, soccer is starting to make some major inroads here (really this time, no really).

The US Men's National Team is on a 12 game winning streak. Our longest ever, and the current longest of all national teams. The team is playing with some real swagger and just downed 13th ranked Bosnia 4-3 after going under 0-2 in the first half.

MLS match attendance continues to go up and has surpassed MLB and NBA. MLS is about to expand more than they had anticipated a few years ago as interest has shot up not only amongst fans but from franchises abroad (Chelsea and the Yankees just went in on a merger deal to create New York City FC). (side note: Hopefully with new teams, the Dynamo will get re-aligned back to the west. It feels odd in the east.)

EPL on NBC and all signs pointing to MLS actually getting on the networks in the near-ish future.

Your support of DC United will help develop the game stateside...and you'll be able to take your kids to a game.

EDIT: And for tragic, DC United's got that in spades. They dominated in the early years of the MLS in the 90s, but have fallen on hard times. You'd be pulling for a team looking to redeem itself and find relevance in the new era.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2013 16:34 by Mr. White.

More
16 Aug 2013 17:09 #158701 by Not Sure
Closest MLS team to me now is the Timbers (or maybe Real Salt Lake, but I can never ever root for someone with that fucking joke of a name).

However, since I grew up in Northern California in the late 70s-early 80s my allegiance will always be the Quakes.

More
16 Aug 2013 17:17 #158703 by Sagrilarus
I don't watch sports live in DC because the prices are simply ludicrous. Parking close to the Nationals is $40, it goes down to $20 if you're willing to walk a ways in a dodgy neighborhood. Hot dogs are $7 apiece, and they suck. They don't even try because they don't have to, people in DC go to the game as a social event. I get free tickets and turn them down because it costs me $30-$50 to attend.

DC United's new stadium is right next to the Nationals.

The Orioles are more reasonable. For the most part we do minor league ball in Bowie because it's awfully good play and you can get close to the field and eat for reasonable prices. I can bring the family for $100.

If EPL is what's on my TV then I'll give it a go. I'll give the Spurs a shot, thanks for the suggestion. MLS has a lot of proving to do to get me back interested, in spite of soccer being my sport as a kid.

S.

More
16 Aug 2013 17:31 #158704 by Mr. White

Sagrilarus wrote: MLS has a lot of proving to do to get me back interested, in spite of soccer being my sport as a kid.

I don't follow. If the games are cheaper to attend than MLB or other professional leagues (they are) and the quality of play on the field has increased (it has), what more does MLS have to do?

More
16 Aug 2013 17:49 #158707 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: F:AT Yahoo EPL (again)

Sagrilarus wrote: I don't watch sports live in DC because the prices are simply ludicrous. Parking close to the Nationals is $40, it goes down to $20 if you're willing to walk a ways in a dodgy neighborhood. Hot dogs are $7 apiece, and they suck. They don't even try because they don't have to, people in DC go to the game as a social event. I get free tickets and turn them down because it costs me $30-$50 to attend.

DC United's new stadium is right next to the Nationals.

The Orioles are more reasonable. For the most part we do minor league ball in Bowie because it's awfully good play and you can get close to the field and eat for reasonable prices. I can bring the family for $100.

If EPL is what's on my TV then I'll give it a go. I'll give the Spurs a shot, thanks for the suggestion. MLS has a lot of proving to do to get me back interested, in spite of soccer being my sport as a kid.

S.

MLS is really pretty fun at this point. The stadiums are smalllllll, and the folks there want to be there. I have only been to a couple of Galaxy games, but mostly because they play a lot on Saturdays (my Sabbath) and because City of Industry is a solid 60 min drive, worse with traffic. It's very much akin to watching AAA baseball in terms of look-and-feel.

Liverpool is the way to go for EPL, man. They are SO middle of the road it's become kind of hilarious. They can beat anyone and lose to anyone. They are remarkable for this consistency. If you want a plucky team, I'd say Aston Villa. If you are in this for the long hall, keep an eye on Cardiff. They juuuuuust made it to the top league this year, but they are spending a lot of dough and looking like they will actually stay in and keep it up for at least a few years. Compare them to Stoke. Get in on the ground floor as it were.

More
16 Aug 2013 17:52 #158708 by metalface13

S.

Arsenal fits that bill to a "t". Although there's no "t" in bill or Arsenal.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.458 seconds